THE HUNTER 44 - RUGER’S NEW/OLD SINGLE ACTION by Paco

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, February 18, 2024, 11:42 (74 days ago)

(from the old Sixgunner.Com website)

Ruger produced what it called the Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44 magnum back in the mid 1990s. My 1995 Gun Digest shows a price of $415 for the Super Blackhawk...but none for the Hunter...though the Hunter is named and pictured.

Unfortunately the Hunter class Super Ruger didn’t stay in production. Many of us slow thinkers, bemoaned the fact that we waited too long to get ours. Used prices for the Hunter when you could find one...went much higher than the original price for the gun when it was new. Then about 1½ years ago a friend in the industry mentioned that the Hunter would be brought back for a short run ....because of all the requests over the years since it was dropped. I immediately put an order in for mine. My favorite gun distributor thought I was nuts...saying something along the lines of... "Gun companies always drop the good stuff and never bring it back..."

Which of course is not true...and not only with the Ruger Hunter. Mine showed up a short while ago...and it is lovely. But my nitpicking first....and the one nit that really bothers me first.

Myself and several others that have gotten the new gun, all have found the cylinder is as loose as a goose on our guns. Not that it is unknown on Ruger single actions for cylinders to be sloppy....but this one was the worst I’ve seen. Remedy: Belt Mountain makes a good business out of tightening up Ruger cylinders with their absolutely fine cylinder pins. I took the Belt Mountain pin from my Super Blackhawk and put it on the Hunter...had to thin it just a bit...but it was like a custom fit. And most importantly, it cured the problem instantly, lock up and rotation is now solid. And the accuracy proves it.

After the instillation of the BM pin my Hunter put all six rounds into one ragged hole at 25 yards, with Garretts very fine 310 grain loads. And at 1377 fps average from the 7.5 inch barrel...and over 1300 lbs of muzzle punch...this is a big game load supreme even from a handgun. This Garrett load out of my Rossi 44 mag levergun gave near 1800 fps and way over a ton of muzzle energy. There is little that walks the earth that can’t be taken by an experienced handgunner/hunter with this load out of a rifle. Just a word or more about this with that load, or any other in a 44 mag handgun....I am taking about animals up to the size of American buffalo and moose as large game.

But if you are going to hunt Ultra-Large game like the big bears of the north or thick skinned stuff of Africa...you need more gun. Especially if you are using just a handgun chambered for 44 magnum. A TV. western type star of the 1960s...if I remember correctly, it was Nick Adams. Principle word here is "WAS". He found out the hard way that shooting the big bears of Alaska with a 44 magnum handgun takes a great deal of skill...which I guess he didn’t have.

I know that many others did it successfully, the 1960s and ‘70s saw a slew of hunters go against very large game with the 44 mag in handguns....Petersen of the publishing empire named after him...used Norma mild steel jacketed slugs over good doses of WW295P and killed a polar bear circa 1960s...but my feeling and it is mine, I know many disagree...that the big bears of the north are more dangerous than African lions. I know for a fact that a heavy loaded 454 will turn a lion inside out..but I still feel that even the 454 heavy loaded from a very strong handgun, is still marginal on the big bears...elephant...cape buff and a few others.

I know it has been done...good friend Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel Knives has taken record size ‘everything’ with the 454 in handguns, including the largest Rhino ever taken in history with a handgun. The difference is Lynn and a few others I can name on less than 10 fingers, are very experienced hunter/shootists...the average hunter using the 454 on the Ultra Big stuff is in marginal country. Even with the vaulted 454 ballistics...much less the 44 magnum loaded top end, that is almost less than half the power of the 454! But the King of the handgun calibers, the 44 magnum on game suited for it, is hard to beat. Elk, moose, and buffalo will fall to the hunter who at least practices a good deal with his loads and handgun...and has more than a few seasons deer hunting experience. Of course with the 240 grain and lighter, soft nose or hollow pointed, jacketed slugs, the great 44 is perfect for deer and black bear.

The second nit I have is universal for me with all Ruger handguns. I don’t like the back sights. The old steel sights that used to be placed on the early flattop Ruger S/As were much better. Bowen Classic Arms makes some very good all steel replacement back sights for Rugers. But I guess I’m too picky...I still have not found the perfect back sight for me and my Ruger S/As. The nice thing about the Hunter is the front sight is easily replaceable...being just like the Redhawk series front sights on the ribbed barrel. The last nit I have is...(and it is just me)...I like blued guns. Stainless is wonderful for bad weather type areas....but I will when I can afford it, have my Hunter nickel/chromed...what ever it is... so it is blue. I have a number of stainless guns, and they are very fine, I just like grew up in an era that was almost exclusively blue....personal taste. End of nits.

The things I like most. One of the very best sets of grip/stocks you can find are on the Hunter. Laminated wood in red and blues that just force your eyes to them. They fit fine for me also, even with heavy loads. The use of the Redhawk designed barrel without the underlug of course....gives the handgun a nose heavy feel I like in handguns. For me at least, it settles faster and better on target for hunting field accuracy. Unlike my friend John Taffin who likes the long barrels...I would prefer the 5½" length, but that’s not even in the nit category with this gun, because this barrel points so well... like a German short hair bitch on a hot covey.

The trigger on mine out of the box, was much too heavy...like pulling the lid off a garbage can at 6 lbs...it took about a ½ hour of work and it was as slick as needed. At 25 yards, 6 shots each of three different bullet weights (240/270/300), in the 1200 to 1500 fps ranges grouped into a little under 3 inches for all 18 rounds. My 45s with the same weight bullet spread won’t go into 7" at 25 yards...and that’s with my ultra accurate FA 454. But this is not unusual for 44s...or for 45s for that matter.

For some reason this Hunter likes the heavy bullets best, both jacketed and cast. Cast Performance 300 grainers (LBT/WFN) over 20 grains of 2400 is so accurate out to 100 yards, that we were slamming pop cans all over the desert. At 1166 fps average for six shots...it is mild in recoil yet powerful enough for large game like elk to 100- 125 yards with open sights...that range limit is because of my eyes, now that the gray in my hair is taking over the brown.

But the Hunter is set up for scopes. I know how a number of shooters feel about scopes on handguns...but sales of handgun scopes don’t show the non scope users are in the majority. I put a good Tasco 4X on my Hunter...the rings are provided with the gun. And they situate the scope forward on the barrel so it is not hanging back over the hammer spur. I don’t like that position at all. But the Hunter puts them just right.

I immediately found out the 44 magnum’s reputation for wrecking scopes is just as valid today as it was in years past. 20 shots and this scope was toast...I’m sending it back to Tasco. At first I thought mayhaps I got a 22 RF scope by mistake...went back and checked the box...doesn’t say that....I took the Tasco I had on my 7Waters mod.94, Winchester levergun (it was mounted on the barrel and is going back on the barrel after Hunter the tests). I built this rifle into a quick woods gun. So I put this scope on the Hunter...so far with several hundred rounds later...no problems.

All of the loads I have tried with three different 240 grain jacketed slugs, go into 1½ inches at best, to 3½ inches at worst. My gun doesn’t like the 240s like it does 270 thru 320 grain bullets. I didn’t have any 200 grainers or less to test, so that will be for later tests...and we will see if it is the barrel twist or not... My Ruger Super Blackhawk from the 1980s will with 240 grain jacketed Speer 44JSPs over 21 grains of 2400, go into less than an inch at 25 yards. But not with the Hunter...

This Super Blackhawk Hunter with the ribbed barrel should make Brother Taffin happy, it doesn’t have the square back trigger guard, that the non Hunter series Super Blackhawks have, that likes to rap his knuckles. This trigger guard is what is the standard round shape on the Blackhawk series. I like the square back shape better...but that’s because it doesn’t try to eat my knuckles. I have heard other folks with large hands make the same complaint....The early Hunters from the 1990s also had the round trigger guard.

The testing of one gun from any manufacturer really doesn’t tell us about how well others of the same model are produced and their accuracy or lack of it. But it does tell us if the gun is well built, the fit and finish, the ability of the gun to take certain pressure ranges, how it feels and acts in the shooters hand at firing and such. As most know I don’t believe in 50 to 100 round, commercial ammo, gun tests....to date I have 541 rounds of commercial, handloads, jacketed bullets, cast bullets, four different powders, all thru this Hunter. In part two on the 44 magnum, we will chart for you the best loads I have found....and also mention the bullets and powder the gun didn’t like. Except for the cylinder shake ....this Hunter is superb.... and I paid just $39 over the stated 1995 GUN DIGEST price...what a deal! Of course it’s a Ruger....

Ruger Hunters

AlanT
[subject]
Sunday, February 18, 2024, 13:58 (74 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I have one in .41 Mag that I used in Hawaii a few years back; when I went over with Kelly Brost.
I shot it scoped and open-sighted that trip (The mounts return the scope close even to zero, that I don't worry about taking the scope off and on)

[image]
[image]

And a few years after the Hawaii trip, I used the .41 Mag open-sighted to take my bison.

[image][image]

Ruger Hunters part 2

AlanT
[subject]
Sunday, February 18, 2024, 14:02 (74 days ago) @ AlanT

I used to have one of the hunters in .45LC, but I traded it to a very good friend to help him complete his "collection" of hunters.
He has two of each caliber they did;
.41 Mag, .44 Mag, & .45LC.

Each Caliber also came in the "standard" grip frame (Super Blackhawk without the squared trigger guard and each with a Bisley gripframe.

Outstanding Alan. Paco's article is great.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, February 18, 2024, 15:45 (74 days ago) @ AlanT

The mark of a good article is the way it stands the test of time. It's still good reading.

I too have a .41 but a Bisley hunter. I always saw them as just Bisley's with a Redhawk barrel on them, sort of. I like the built in scope mounts, it's forward position, and used properly they work fine. Don't let it shake loose, keep it snug, but not overtightened. I also slicked up the internals and installed a Wolff kit and free-spin pawl with very precise stoned timing. I also added Gary's V-notch rear sight and a fiber optic front. In a bout of poor judgement I sold it to a friend who did some load development using it for the .41 GNR! He also loaned it to James from Jersey at the Y-O to take a Barbary Ram. It's quite the tale. Bloody handed .454 James.

In a turn of events I actually bought it back and fitted a second standard Bisley .41 Remington cylinder to it, just in case I need the ammo versatility. I shot the whizz out of LilGun powder, at least a couple pounds from it before it was found to be unpopular. Maybe my 90% loads were OK. It's as accurate as ever. The 4x Leupold is about perfect for me and the gun's effective range. A real grab and go in .41 GNR.

[image]

[image]

[image]

The .41 Puffy loading for .41 Special cases. A special .41 Ballard single shot rifle bullet loaded to BP velocities from the handgun. I figure it still works, what penetration! Jason and I geeked-out over it long ago and had fun.
[image]

Thanks WB!

AlanT
[subject]
Sunday, February 18, 2024, 18:44 (74 days ago) @ WB

In the pic from Hawaii, the gun has a Burris 1.5x4 on it. That has since been replaced by a 2-6 Bushnell Elite 3200 (nice scopes; nothing like the cheap Bushnells.).
The 3200 fits inside the sight radius like your Leupold.

I run the old Ruger express sight front gold bead, and originally the Ruger rear V.
I always thought the Ruger V was too deep and too narrow.
I switched over to a Bowen Rough country sight with Hamilton's V blade; which I find too wide and too shallow.
If Hamilton ever gets his Rough country sights back in stock, I'll order a blank rear blade and cut it very similar to Freedom Arms express sight V.

The pigs and sheep in Hawaii and the bison were taken with the same load.
265 grain LBT long-wide nose, right at 1400 fps out of my gun.

That's a great combo.

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 19, 2024, 08:05 (74 days ago) @ AlanT

I used to buy a .41 cal. 265 FNGC with a long ojive. I was getting right about the same sped as you with the standard .41 Remington. Most of the bullet was outside the case which improved capacity a little. I was able to do the same with a 270 gr. in the .41 GNR at a less intense loading and it was so accurate. I really liked it.

I can't see very well anymore and the fiber front really helps. The V-rear is a little tricky consistently bedding it for precise aiming. However I find I do well with it shooting at game and odd things rather than when I try to shoot groups on paper. I tried a goofy mix with a square notch and fine bead front on my FA83. I can hit with it! Lots of light on both sides and it's so precise.

We used the Bushnell 3200's, great scopes. I wish I had a couple still laying around. I think they were about the best at dim light. My buddy Doug took a Sika at the Y-O right at dark using one on his .429 GNR Encore. It did not want to exit the cedars until it was too dark to shoot. It was close. In the brush you couldn't see 10 feet. We found it easily tracking blood, about 20 yds.

.41 bullet

AlanT
[subject]
Monday, February 19, 2024, 09:00 (74 days ago) @ WB

We are probably talking the same bullet. 265 long nose GC

[image]

I really like that bullet. It shots really tight groups, and so far, I haven't found anything living that will stop it; every animal I've shot with it gives me a goes-in and a goes-out hole (including my bison).
One year up at Linebaugh's Bore-Bore seminar, my gun and that load penetrated 41" of wet newspaper (was an easy number to remember).

I've seen Fermin's new rear blades. Ronnie Wells of RW grip frames is making them for him. Looks like Ronnie took my suggestion and offers a V notch wider than the Ruger and closer to the Freedom Arms V. :-)
My biggest concern on those "blades" would be strength and durability. Seem like a mighty thin piece of metal holding a lot of mass out horizontally.
I'll see Ronnie this summer and ask them to bring a few of Fermin's blades with him.

We have had our V blade for over 15 years now

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 19, 2024, 17:23 (73 days ago) @ AlanT

and never had one break that I know of. We sell them as a set with the gold bead front sight.
[image]

V blade

AlanT
[subject]
Monday, February 19, 2024, 21:57 (73 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Damn Gary!
That blade looks about perfect; wider than the Ruger and not as shallow as Bowen's rough country.

I'll call the shop tomorrow and order a set.

Im not worried about a blade breaking, but on Fermin's new sight, he uses the groove in a Ruger sight base to hang a bunch of mass off the back of the sight base.

[image]

Picture courtesy of rwgripframes

Just got off the phone with Eric (sp?)

AlanT
[subject]
Tuesday, February 20, 2024, 12:56 (72 days ago) @ AlanT

and ordered your V blade and gold bead for Ruger Hunter.

I won a 44 Hunter at the YO hunt in 2009

Sean Harper
[subject]
Monday, February 19, 2024, 13:50 (73 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I think it was only thing I ever won there. Shot decent ,took a big hog with a 320gr wfngc at 1200, still have the mold sold the gun in 2015 or so.
I still have the Bisley Hunter in 41 mag , I had Alan Harton ream the cylinder to 41 Mag (1.400" case), he lives less than a mile from my house.

Sean

.41 Mag 1.4"

AlanT
[subject]
Monday, February 19, 2024, 14:06 (73 days ago) @ Sean Harper

I assume with the longer case, you don't have a lot of room for long heavy bullets?
My 265 load pretty much takes up all the cylinder length.

My nose length is uaually .400" or a little less

Sean Harper
[subject]
Monday, February 19, 2024, 14:17 (73 days ago) @ AlanT

I have molds in 255wfngc (nl .285"), 285 wfngc , 305 wfngc and had a 325 gr wfngc that I used in my Wyoming Hunter 41 GNR #2.
I generally hunted with a wfn bullet

Sean

nose length

AlanT
[subject]
Monday, February 19, 2024, 15:29 (73 days ago) @ Sean Harper

I just miked one of my 265 grain bullets for nose length.
It came out at .410", and is most likely an LBT design LFN.
pics below in one of my posts