Suddenly the perspiration of reality sets in

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 12, 2024, 14:56 (79 days ago)

I had some fleeting idea since all my local gunsmiths are passed on, I’d begin to acquire some of the more simple tools to do some things myself. I’ve tinkered my entire life. That should be of some value.

Boy, I got the book I ordered. “Jerry Kuhnhausen - The Colt Double Action Revolvers A Shop Manual, Vol. 1”. What a sobering slap! The complexity of seemingly simple issues is astonishing. It makes you wonder how any Colt DA ever lasted. It could entice one to get aggressive in company of the unworthy ham handing such a refined piece! Barney Fief’s be flogged. It’s more like a precision watch with a few less parts. Lots of facing, peening, stoning, and angles. So you have to know what those terms mean. There are some specialized tools but the excellent book discussed suitable alternatives.

I was able to quickly identify the “section” that covered my issue, but the remedy will entail considerable study. I can understand the 18-month waiting cue for the regional expert in the field. $40 to get you a place in line! Wow.

I’m still reeling from my first encounter with the initial understanding of just this one system.

[image]

Before you get into it big time, you better get

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 12, 2024, 16:20 (79 days ago) @ WB

an FFL. The Feds are saying if you do more than drilling a couple of holes for a scope mount you are a "manufacturer" and that requires an FFL and license. The new Feds were in the shop about 2 weeks ago checking us for those FFLs and manufacturer's license. They were extremely nice and not aggressive or demanding at all but they can be if you don't have the right FFLs and licenses.

You are correct. Years ago I held the licenses

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 12, 2024, 17:25 (79 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

And if you even help out a friend or two it gets dicey. Depends on your state, but having possession of someone else’s stuff etc.

I’m just trying to fix my own rigs. A $25 used book, some tinkering, maybe I can tighten the old 1935 gal up some. I’d take it to someone but all the good guys are dead! Most guys don’t know much past knocking roll pins swapping AR parts.

These old Colts require literal understanding of how it all works. Some knowledge toward that can’t be too bad. I can really appreciate the skill and craftsmanship.

Vol. 2 is the molded parts and coil spring guns. Still more complicated than the S&W. The fellow wrote other manuals for other weapons, and while highly technical they are well written and a rare product these days.