10mm uses

Coloradoyaler
[subject]
Tuesday, January 23, 2024, 09:57 (104 days ago)

Good Morning,

It's 39 below here on Fairbanks and won't get above 25 below for next 10 days. So I can't do anything but hibernate. So I thought I would post a question for a exchange of thoughts and opinions.
With the development of better bullets say over the past 10 years has the capability of the 10mm improved?
Gary, rereading you're book on handgun hunting you convey the 10mm is sufficient for the small deer. With all the hype of the 10mm in the last couple of years, do you think it's capability had changed?
I also am interested in other opinions and experiences from other board members. So, what are you're thoughts?

Using a special prepped G21 Glock converted to 10mm

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, January 23, 2024, 10:38 (104 days ago) @ Coloradoyaler

And using a 6” conventional rifled barrel (important shooting cast) I run a 200 gr. FNGC bullet at 1400 fps and a 230 at 1300. I don’t shoot many at this max., usually I back off 100 fps and call it plenty. AA#7 or Longshot is my powder of choice. That’s real .41 Mag. revolver performance. Even custom loaded 10 can’t quite get to where I’ve tested. I have a 170 gr. mold but I’ve not tried the plain base gas checks in 10mm. Gas checks in .400 are a pain to allocate anyway!

Glock 10mm

Coloradoyaler
[subject]
Tuesday, January 23, 2024, 11:33 (104 days ago) @ WB

[image]

WB, Thanks for the reply and info. This is the one I am playing with. It had a nine inch Lone Wolf barrel. My brother sent it to me to ring ot out. Anyhow, so far I have just run factory loads threw it. The Underwood and Buffalo bore 220gr hardcast. The Underwood chronoed at 1300fps with the Buffalo bore at 1280fps. They both shot three shots undet an inch at 25yds. I was impressed. I am just starting to look for a hardcast bullet in the 200gr and to start reloading for it. Incidentally, I have never been a Glock fan until I shot this one. They are just not as nice to look as a nice 1911. But is hasn't failed to cycle and very accurate! And, the trigger takes some getting use too!

Those hot loads are rough on a 1911 with

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, January 23, 2024, 12:59 (103 days ago) @ Coloradoyaler

The swinging link and stuff. The Glock plastic frame actually has some flex when firing hot loads. I have video I made to observe it. It’s rough on any gun but a tuned 1911 will require maintenance lots more frequently. The farther you get away from what Browning designed it for, the more rough it gets. There be dragons beyond that point. Not that it can’t be done.

Sophisticated recoil spring systems, throating, porting, supported ramped chambers, all very useful advancements. The Glock you have now could benefit greatly by installing an advanced aftermarket trigger system. Some are almost what you might call good! There are newer systems but a decade ago I really liked the Zev trigger. I’ve never found accuracy lacking with 2” 50 yd. groups possible. That’s crazy talk back when I was a kid.

You have a nice rig to refine even more!

Thank you for your opinions and input!

Coloradoyaler
[subject]
Thursday, January 25, 2024, 07:27 (102 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

The 10mm is one of my favorite calibers but it does

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, January 23, 2024, 11:23 (104 days ago) @ Coloradoyaler

have its limitations. Kase and I have taken good size hogs with the 10mm several times thru the years and the cartridge has improved considerably over the last 10 to 15 years, But it still has its limitations. An average size deer would be the largest I would go with. I know a couple of idiots took a 10mm to Africa and supposedly took several large animals. What they did was illegal and they got their PH in a lot of trouble.
Anyway, I like the 10mm and think the new Bad Medicine revolver in 10mm we just finished would make a good trail gun. The power of the cartridge is much more than it was in the days of the Bren Ten but still is limited. I would feel fine walking thru most woods with this little revolver but only as a backup, not the primary weapon for bears and such. As always the killing power of a cartridge is in direct proportion to where you put the bullet. A shot in the ass with a 458 is still a shot in the ass. The 10mm is a good cartridge, much more power than a 9mm and more than the power of a standard 45 ACP. The new 45 ACP is much more power than the old 750 FPS 45 ACP of 75 years ago. But ammo companies like Double Tap puts out a 10mm at 1780 FPS out of my 10mm long slide while the 45 ACP from Super Vel is clocked at a bit over 1400 fps also out of one of my long slides. So we are back to square one. Either one would be a good back up cartridge for when the shit hits the fan. Try both and see which one puts a smile on your face.