SW vs Ruger 22 Auto

John W
[subject]
Sunday, January 21, 2024, 19:58 (95 days ago)

I was out in a remote area doing some predator hunting and my mind wandered onto a topic.

Currently I own a Smith and Wesson Victory 22 Performance Center with a Burris Fast Fire 3 on a Tandemkross plate. It is accurate and I have taken some squirrels with it but there are a couple of things that I would like to point out.

1. The magazine release is very touchy. You can almost breathe on it and it will drop a mag. Not good. I did replace the spring with a NAPA automotive spring which seems to have cured this issue.

2. No open sights. Granted as I have aged my eyesight isn't as flexible as it once was. But I do realize that if the electronic sight goes haywire, I am stuck as that is the only option on the gun for a sight. I do have an aluminum picatinny rail for a scope, but it does make the gun less sleek.

In all of your collective wisdom and experience, how does the Ruger Mk4 Hunter model stack up in the arena of accuracy and useability in the field?

I'm contemplating a sale of the SW and using the funds to get a Ruger Mk4. But I like to ask others of their experience.

22’s

Tebbeman
[subject]
Monday, January 22, 2024, 08:05 (94 days ago) @ John W

John here’s my 2 cents. I’ve had both of the semi auto’s and found dislikes in each. Ultimate I sold both and found an older S&W model 41. Amazingly accurate, reliable and feels perfect in my hand. I love Ruger and most of their firearms but after having a half dozen of the Mark 1-4 semi’s I just can’t get the accuracy out of them. And yes I tried the majority of available 22 ammo.
Just my thoughts on an icy day.

Tebbeman

Back in the day the S&W 41 was tops!

WB
[subject]
Monday, January 22, 2024, 08:36 (94 days ago) @ Tebbeman

I have handled them but never shot one. We also shot many old High-Standards, the Victor was my favorite. I had a round of the old Colts too. They shoot great. But NEVER mess with that little textured button atop the slide, trust me on that. Worst part on the old guns, besides parts and maintenance in general, is the mags. They can run $50 and upwards for replacements. If you can find them.

There are bunches of great guns out there. It might not even be a fancy gun that is a great shooter. When I was young a gunsmith friend of mine took an old German made "Buffalo Scout" and installed a section of an old Remington 550 rifle barrel. I drilled holes in the top-strap myself and installed an old Bushnell 1.3X scope. The gunsmith did a good job on the barrel fittment. That was a big issue in the accuracy of the gun. The barrel and throating. It shoots great! Easily under 2" groups at 50 yds. It's a cartoon brought to life but it works. LOL I can tell you it's truly fun to bring it out and let guys ping targets way off they can't reach with fancier guns.

A misfit friend has since contributed a chrome plated .22 WMR cylinder to this old kit. Chapter two is underway!
[image]

I have probably a dozen 22 LR revolvers and pistols

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, January 22, 2024, 13:09 (94 days ago) @ WB

of various makes and models. Every time I go to a gun show or get on gunbroker I end up buying another one. My problem is the time to get out and chase a bunny or two.

I bought the model 41 and the model 46 just to see what the

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, January 22, 2024, 16:59 (94 days ago) @ WB

difference was. It was mostly cosmetic. The 41 felt heavier but it was also a bit longer in the nose so that coukld have made the difference.

fuzzy pictures of a couple of my handguns from

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, January 22, 2024, 17:43 (94 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

several years back. I was gathering pics for my first handgun hunting book. The pics were enhansed a bit by a friend who was into high tech photography and got them to where they were OK for the book. Nowhere near as nice as the pics in John Taffin's books but the best I could do at the time. The first gun is a Browning Buckmark Bullseye.
[image]
This gun is a High Standard Supermatic 22 that Joe Benner used to set several records in U.S. military target shooting. He was coming down with Alzheimer's and gave the gun to me. He wanted to move his guns out before he got worse. The gun is just as he gave me with the barrel weights and all except he asked me to put a little gold in the lettering.
The 4 are the High Standard Supermatic, a S&W model 41, another High Standard target gun and the AMT/Ruger 22. I have several more that I am trying to find.
[image]
[image]
[image]

I have a Ruger MKI 6-7/8" made in the late 1950's

WB
[subject]
Monday, January 22, 2024, 08:25 (94 days ago) @ John W

I paid $75 for it. Most of the blue was rubbed off and the black checkered grips were worn smooth from riding under a pick-up seat for years. The mag was also pretty much shot. I bought a new Mag and "flipped" the button to the proper old style side, made it 10 shot rather than 9. Issue 1 fixed. The trigger actually was very good through simple use and years of wear. I sent it off to have it professionally parkerized and got an order off the Numerich for a set of factory old walnut grips with the black eagle on them. The gun shot fantastic and I could easily hit a soda can from a rest at 50-75 yds. if I did my part. B-square made this rig called a "Mono-mount" that clamped to the front of the receiver to hold a scope. No drilling or tapping. It's also "see-through" for using the iron sights. I mounted a 4X Leupold on the gun. We found that not only me, but anyone that could shoot well, could hit 1/5 scale metal chickens (about the size of a chicken egg) easily at 100 yds., off a good rest. Phenomenal accuracy for any gun much less a handgun platform. I shot many blackbirds at ranges to about 125 yds. I still have it today and could not part with it.

I too once deviated from Rugers as my primary .22 Auto. I went with Browning, the 9" bull barrel Buckmark with no sights, just a rail. It too was superbly accurate. I found it very shootable, but not as refined, and the aftermarket was very skimpy for personalization. But it was a great gun. I traded it off for something more shiny.

In my view the Ruger 45/22 plastic lower with a Pac-lite upper of your choosing would be really cool. You could buy a cheap version as you will be replacing the upper. That would be a fun project. Tons of aftermarket things to play with. But the older steel frame guns are great too. I think I'd rather have an older gun than a new Ruger myself. With some used gun looking, and dealing, maybe a $500 budget would allow such a home build.

I think this was made in 1956-57. The serial font is smaller and it sports a "Micro" marked rear sight. I have the B-square mount back on it and a cheap EER 2x-7x scope. No recoil so the scope has lasted a good while.
[image]

Ruger is bringing the original MK 1 back as an anniversary

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, January 22, 2024, 13:02 (94 days ago) @ WB

gun this year.

MARK IV

JT
[subject]
Monday, January 22, 2024, 09:13 (94 days ago) @ John W

Is that the Hunter model? Thanks

John W