I can tell some really love the .41 Special

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, January 17, 2024, 08:21 (97 days ago)

The .41 Special IS a neat idea and a good working round. I'm all for it. Why hasn't some mainstream comany jumped on it?! However, I personally feel Pop Eimer had it right the first time. Ditto for George Herter and his .401 that predated the .41 Magnum a couple years. The .41 seems too close to the .44 Mag., which is actually a .43. That is what makes the .45 so good. But history is what it is. Ignored a .41 Special, eclipsed the .40 Magnum by whatever industry injustice.

Today some miss out the fact the .40 and 10mm are such good revolver rounds. Folks GIVE me .40 S&W brass, lots of it. 10mm brass commands at least double the street price. It’s an old Indian trick to long seat the 10mm bullets in .40 cases and load full house 10mm ammo. The bullet shave never given me an issue pulling in recoil, there is still plenty inside the case for neck tension. Some are perplexed at my liking the .41 S&W for a wheelgun. Maybe it just does not sound sexy. I remember the origins of the .400 cal. with the struggle and rise. The .38-40 was never really what I’d call popular, but they have made it a very long time, as an alternative to the .44-40 or .45 Colt. They are still bargains as people turn up their nose for the more romantic calibers. I never really understood this myself as folks shot Indians, bears, moose, deer, antelope, gangsters, all with the .38 WCF to absolutely no fanfare. Maybe it’s because Keith and Askins totally ignored it.

[image]

In the Single Action you must make a choice. The headspace on the case mouth and length is mandated. So what’s it going to be, .40 S&W or 10mm? The DA revolvers are a special delight. You can have a long chamber, even 10mm mag. (1.25” case), as the headspace is dependent on the rim holding “clips”. Clip whatever length case you desire, .40, 10mm, 10mm mag., and bang away. An L-frame (which they DID make) would/should be the berries. But they didn’t make it long. Ruger, S&W, and Taurus still make .400 cal. revolvers. Too often overlooked. I have a custom 6-shot GP100 that is fantastic. The cylinder is thin at the bolt cuts, but more than enough for full 10mm loads, ditto the frame at the barrel threads.

(Before you ask, testing 1880's era type shot loads)
[image]

I have four .400 cal. SA handguns. An original .401 Herters, custom Reeder .38-40, custom Reeder with .40 cylinder for my .401 GNR, and a really trick Reeder single-five in .40 S&W. The Herters will do anything a .41 Magnum can, with the right bullet. The .38-40 can be pushed to crazy levels if one desired. My little .40 S&W is still a sweetheart and can do anything a “.41 Special” could manage. Think of it as a little shorter .400 Special rimless. Maybe the name has held it back.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Looking back at some old notes I see I ran a charge of 8.5 gs. Longshot with a standard primer and a 155 gr. bullet in .40 S&W specs. Velocity was 1337 fps from the 6.5” Reeder Custom. Switching to 10mm OAL specs., again in the same .40 S&W cases, but a 180 gr. bullet I got 1267 fps. I feel confident a cast 200 gr. would run about 1200 fps backing off ½ grain on the powder charge. That is plenty! If you need chest beating vibrato stay with the mainstream, if you are interested in cost savvy performance, give the .400 a look.

[image]

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, January 17, 2024, 09:05 (97 days ago) @ WB

REVISITING THE .41 SPECIAL
By John Taffin
The Very Special Specials, .38 and .44, both arrived in the first decade of the 20th century before WWI. The S & W revolver was originally designed to fire the .38 United States Service cartridge (.38 Long Colt). D. B. Wesson suggested the cartridge case be lengthened to allow the powder charge to be increased from 18 grains of black powder to 21-1/2 grains. The bullet weight was changed from 150 grains to 158 grains. This new cartridge was called the .38 S & W Special and with the development of the new cartridge, the factory introduced the .38 Military and Police Model. No one could have foreseen this would be Smith & Wesson’s most popular revolver and now 125 years later it still being produced. The same cartridge became the .38-44 Heavy Duty in the early 1930s and was then lengthened to become the .357 Magnum in 1935. A natural progression.
The first revolver in a lineup of S & W sixguns we now know as N-Frames was designed to handle a new cartridge which came about by the increasing of 23 grains of black powder in the .44 Russian, lengthening the case and bringing the charge to 26 grains. The standard bullet was a 246 round-nose lead and the cartridge became known as the .44 Special. In the 1920s Elmer Keith began reloading the .44 Special and spent the next 30 years trying to convince manufacturers to bring out his Heavy .44 Special load. Finally, in late 1955 Keith got even more than he had asked for as the .44 Special case was lengthened to become the powerful .44 Magnum. Again, a natural progression.
With the .38 Special and .44 Special both being introduced in a period of just over five years it would’ve seemed to be a natural to split the difference and also come out with the .41 Special. Colt had the .41 Long Colt which could have been modified to become the .41 Special, however it was not to be. There was no .41 Special. Several experimenters came very close. In the 1920s, at least 10 years before the advent of the first official Magnum, the .357, gunsmith Cyril “Pop” Eimer was offering the .40 Eimer Special from his Joplin Missouri gun shop. Eimer started with Colt Single Actions in either .38-40 or .41 Long Colt. These were neither .38s or .41 but rather .40s and the used the same .403” barrels. It only required a new cylinder for his wildcat. The .40 Eimer Special, also known as the .401 Eimer, was made by shortening .401 Winchester or .30-40 Krag rifle brass to 1.25”and loaded with 200 grain bullets. At the time “Fitz”, John Henry FitzGerald, “Mr. Colt” tried to interest his company in chambering the Colt SAA and New Service in Eimer’s .40 but to no avail.
Two well-known names to handloaders who use cast bullets and study the past, Gordon Boser and Ray Thompson worked with the .40 caliber in the 1930s and 1940s. Boser was a Springville New York gunsmith whose favorite sixgun cartridge, as so many others at the time, was the .44 Special, however he wanted more than the Colt Single Action offered with this chambering. Using .401 Winchester brass trimmed to 1-7/32” he designed his own bullet, a 195 grain semi-wadcutter offered by Lyman as #401452. Ray Thompson would go on to design four excellent gas check bullets for Lyman. In 1932 Fred Moore who was the Colt factory superintendent chambered the Colt Official Police for the .41 Colt Special using 210 grain bullets at up to 1,150 fps. Remington even supplied the ammunition and although they could’ve had a jump by three years on the Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum, Colt declined to offer the .41 Colt Special.
Fast-forward to the 1980s. As far as I know Hamilton Bowen was the first to produce a modern .41 Special. I supplied a 2nd Generation Colt Single Action and Hamilton fitted it with a .41 Special non-fluted cylinder and a 5-1/2” custom barrel. It proved to be a tack driver. He then did a second .41 Special for me on a Smith & Wesson Model 586 by re-chambering the .357 Magnum cylinder and re-boring the barrel. The third .41 Special done for me by Hamilton is one of the most beautiful single actions in existence. Starting with a Three-Screw Ruger .357 Flat-Top, he converted the cylinder and re-bored the 4-5/8” barrel, finished it in a mouthwatering blue with case -hardened frame, hammer and trigger, and then it was fitted with beautifully grained exotic walnut stocks. Gary Reeder has supplied me with a well named .41 Special which is the Perfect Packin’ Pistol of his design; and the late John Gallagher built .41 Specials on both Three-Screw and New Model Ruger Flat-Tops as well as an exquisite little .41 Ruger Single-Six with a five-shot cylinder. That brings us to today.
My friend Lane Pearce contacted Ruger, Hamilton, and Remington with the idea of coming up with a true .41 Special along with factory ammunition. Ruger supplied six GP 100s, Hamilton did the conversion work, and the hope was for Remington to supply the ammunition. Thus far the first two steps have been completed and we can only hope for the third to be finalized. At the time the only factory .41 Special ammunition I know of is a 215 SWC from Jamison.
I wanted adjustable sights and stainless steel and Pearce, Ruger, and Hamilton made it work. My prototype is on a 3” GP 100 with its six-shot cylinder re-chambered to .41 Special and the original barrel bored out to .41 also. The right side of the barrel is marked in large letters “RUGER GP 100” and then under that on the lug we have in smaller letters, “.41 REM. SPL.+P”. The rear sight is the standard Ruger adjustable while the front sight features the Ruger interchangeable system. The standard front sight is a ramp black post, and I also have access to a gold bead front sight as well as nylon ramp sights in blue, white, and yellow. Thus far I have done most of my shooting with the standard front sight. The Bowen Conversion has performed flawlessly and is proven to be quite accurate.
There’s not much that I can’t do that I need to do with a sixgun that cannot be handled with this Bowen Ruger .41 Special. With its shorter barrel and compact factory grips it fits nicely in a Bob Mernickle inside the pants clip-on holster. This is a gun for the trail whether that trail consist of concrete, sagebrush, foothills, forests, or mountains. It will handle anything short of big game hunting.
As a comparison I looked at some muzzle energy figures of the .45 ACP. These are from a 5” Model 1911 Colt with a closed breech. The standard 230 grains hardball at a muzzle velocity of 825 fps results in a muzzle energy of 340 FP. .45 ACP + P loads are the same bullet at 950 fps yielding 461 FP. Switching to the short 3” the barrel of the GP 100 with a barrel cylinder gap these are easily duplicated using the Keith-style bullet. 6.5 grains of Unique give approximately 850 fps which is slightly more than a standard .45 ACP as far as muzzle energy is concerned while 12.5 grains #2400 results in slightly more muzzle energy than the .45 ACP + P loads. I had expected the felt recoil of this .41 GP to be unkind to me. However, this was not the case and the compact rubber grip did an excellent job even when I fired 300 rounds in one session.
For loading the .41 Special I go with three cast bullets, Lyman #410459 KT, the Hensley & Gibbs 220 KT, the LFN 228 grain, and with three jacketed bullets consisting of the Sierra 170 and 210 Jacketed Hollow Cavities, and the Speer 200 SWC-HP. This latter bullet is the old-style consisting of a copper cup and a lead core. These were originally made in .38, .41, and .44 and are an excellent bullet, however they are long out of production and my stash is about gone. My powders of choice for the .41 Special are #2400. AA#9, #4227, Power Pistol, Unique, Universal and Red Dot. All loads utilize Winchester LP Primers for standard or magnum loads.
With this short-barreled .41 I shot all of my test loads at a self-defense distance of 10 yards. Complete results are in the accompanying table but a couple that I found outstanding and would definitely be chosen for every day carry off the beaten path include both Keith bullets over 12.5 grains of #2400 with muzzle velocities over 950 fps and five-shot groups of 3/4” while the same charge under the Sierra 210 JHC put five-shots in 5/8”. For loads in the standard .45 ACP category, 6.5 grains of Unique with the two Keith bullets gave muzzle velocities right at 850 fps and also placed five shots in 3/4".
For a short while the light burned brightly with the hope of a factory .41 Special sixgun and ammunition. Hopefully, that light is not now extinguished completely

To John, Irv, WB and Sean, thanks for the mention

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, January 17, 2024, 10:49 (97 days ago) @ JT

every little bit helps, and coming from folks who have their act together is even better.

Are you sure WB has his act together?

IC
[subject]
Thursday, January 18, 2024, 20:40 (96 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I know I don't have mine anywhere close.

.41 Special

AlanT
[subject]
Wednesday, January 17, 2024, 15:35 (97 days ago) @ JT

John,
Here are some pictures of my .41 Special.
You might remember it. :-)

[image]

[image]

[image]

One more pic

AlanT
[subject]
Wednesday, January 17, 2024, 15:37 (97 days ago) @ AlanT

Slick and interesting.

WB
[subject]
Thursday, January 18, 2024, 18:26 (96 days ago) @ AlanT

- No text -

My 41 's

Sean Harper
[subject]
Wednesday, January 17, 2024, 10:35 (97 days ago) @ WB

Top: Reeder 41 Special- sold to Andy Rowe
Middle: Reeder 410 GNR, 5.5" with extra 41 Mag -(1.4"case) cylinder.
Bottom: Wyoming Hunter 41 GNR #2 with extra 414 SM cylinder
Nice Fox taken at the YO in 2009.
I used to have a nice 200gr WC mold and 220gr Keith mold for the 41 Special but have since sold them.
[image]

I'll just stick with the .41 Special that Gary built.

IC
[subject]
Wednesday, January 17, 2024, 11:29 (97 days ago) @ WB

I'm all for easy reloading. If I need more, I'll go to the .401 GNR.

Starline makes runs of the brass. What you use?

WB
[subject]
Thursday, January 18, 2024, 07:16 (96 days ago) @ IC

- No text -

Starline .41 Special brass.

IC
[subject]
Thursday, January 18, 2024, 08:36 (96 days ago) @ WB

- No text -