scope choice ? 257 Weatherby Mark V

D. Huey
[subject]
Monday, August 08, 2022, 20:59 (616 days ago)

Any opinions would be welcomed. Long "soybean field" shots in West Tennessee - 200+ yards also possible speed goat hunting-- Power ? and who makes it ??? 257 mag rifle Scope Choice and any opinion on mounts and rings

Look throught various scopes in the 4x12 power range, 2x10

Jeff Spencer
[subject]
Monday, August 08, 2022, 21:20 (616 days ago) @ D. Huey

ect. Depends on what your eyes like, and what your budget is.

My eyes prefer Leupold and Burris Rifle Scopes.

Jeff Spencer
[subject]
Monday, August 08, 2022, 21:32 (616 days ago) @ Jeff Spencer

- No text -

I really like the Burris veracity scopes

Blake
[subject]
Tuesday, August 09, 2022, 04:00 (616 days ago) @ D. Huey

I have a bunch of them. I sold my 257GNR rifle a while back. Have this scope sitting around needing a home.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/veracity-riflescopes-series/veracity-riflescope-5-2...

It does have ring marks on the bottom but it’s in great shape otherwise. It my be more Magnification than you need but it could be yours for $600 shipped. It’s got flip up scope covers and Sun shade and Leupold rings to go with it.

Burris, Leupold, Nikon. All good

SPB
[subject]
Tuesday, August 09, 2022, 06:26 (616 days ago) @ D. Huey

- No text -

I don't know what you are considering long

jthomson
[subject]
Tuesday, August 09, 2022, 08:54 (616 days ago) @ D. Huey

shot, we are pushing out past 800 yds on chucks out here, I have been very pleased with the Athlon scopes https://athlonoptics.com/product-category/rifle-scopes/midas-tac/ in the Midas grade. using Vortex Tac Rings and a 20 minute rail for mounting. It is about the same system Blake is recommending below. Bottom line is what looks best to your eye for clarity. They all are offering about the same package in the same price range.

Ziess Conquest V6

Jim & Nancy Frost
[subject]
Tuesday, August 09, 2022, 12:19 (616 days ago) @ jthomson

Nancy has this on her 300 Win Mag and has been successful on elk out at 600+ yards and our little AZ Coues deer at 550 yards

Scope answers

D. Huey
[subject]
Tuesday, August 09, 2022, 16:26 (616 days ago) @ Jim & Nancy Frost

Thanks for assistance

I just don’t care for variable power scopes

Grover Sr
[subject]
Tuesday, August 09, 2022, 17:47 (616 days ago) @ D. Huey

So I picked up a Bushnell 1040 Tac fixed 10 power for my 6.5 CM and like it. I would have probably bought a SWFA 10 but they’ve been out of stock for a while.

Ditto. I bought a bunch of fixed 4 and 6 power

Amede
[subject]
Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 12:18 (615 days ago) @ Grover Sr

scopes when the manufacturers closed them out. Also bought the same bushnell 10x for my 300 Wby.

My opinion for what it's worth. This is from hearing

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, August 09, 2022, 17:58 (616 days ago) @ D. Huey

guys complain that they bought the high dollar scope their buddy recommended and it is fuzzy to them. Look thru as many scopes as you can. Pick the one that is clearest to your eyes and don't go for the most expensive scope either. On expensive scopes you are paying extra for the name. Years ago we carried the expensive scopes in our shop in Florida and after looking thru a lot of them I realized that to my eyes the Burris was a better scope. Kase did the same and he said the Leupold scopes were clearer to his eyes than the scope that was twice the price. So don't expect the more expensive scopes to be the best. Remember those scopes got their reputation from the PHs in Africa. Back in the early 90s there was an embargo on Africa and they couldn't get American scopes or other gear over there. All they could get were the expensive European scopes. They would give their virgin sister for a Burris, Leupold or Redfield scope. The guys that hunted Africa would give the scope off their hunting rifle as a tip to the PH. We did that too on our first 3 or 4 safaris. Plus the European scopes were cheap in Africa as there was no import tax. I took several Leupold, Burris and Redfield scopes off our rifles (Kase's and Colleen's) as mine were handgun scopes and gave them to the PHs. But the high dollar European scopes got their reputation from the PHs having them on their back up rifles and the clients assuming that meant they were the best. It was not because they were better, but because that was all they could get.
So all this is adds up to is don't grab the most expensive scope just because. Go with the one that is clearer to your eyes.

bigboar

bigboar
[subject]
Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 15:16 (615 days ago) @ D. Huey

Take a look at Kahles rifle scopes. I have a fixed 8 power with the German #4 reticle, Fantastic.