I may have to start making my own IWB holsters for revolvers

WB
[subject]
Friday, August 05, 2022, 08:22 (630 days ago)

I had a nice conversation with some fella that makes molded kydex holsters. My focus was the IWB types. I like sticking a gun in my pants like what is called "Mexicun" carry. But not only is this not safe with the trigger safety type guns but it's not very secure. That's where the IWB holsters come in. Basically I just need a sheath for my Mexicun type carry. So it stays anchored, no snagging, and hopefully more insulated between the gun and my body. I wear an undershirt but still like a holster with a sweat shield, the little tab that sticks up and keeps the gun off skin.

My problem is with revolvers. just about everyone makes kydex holsters moulded in the shape of the gun on BOTH sides. I understand this looks cool and likely sells product in the store (what keeps the world turning) but against your boney body it hurts! Why oh why does someone not mould them against a flat slightly curved surface? You know like the shape of your body! A smooth flat surface pressed against your body is lots more comfortable than a "half-pipe" (cylinder) wedged in there. Even some OWB belt holsters gouge you as they are molded equally on both sides leaving the body side to press into your side. I have a couple old Don Hume belt holsters that are correctly moulded, flat curve on body side and gun matching on the other.

Surely I'm not the only one that has looked at this situation and wondered why no one has addressed this comfort issue. I may be buying some kydex sheets and commandeering the family oven to experiment! 200 years ago about all the handguns had handy belt hooks on them!

LOL, this works better than you'd think.
[image]

CrossBreed Holsters...

~JM~
[subject]
Friday, August 05, 2022, 09:07 (630 days ago) @ WB

Almost what you are looking for. Flat guns only though.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/holsters/inside-the-waistband-holsters.html?ref=fp-c...

I have zero experience with them. Haven't been able to warm up to kydex.

Suspect your DIY may yield better results.

I see they use leather as the back side, flat leather.

WB
[subject]
Friday, August 05, 2022, 10:01 (630 days ago) @ ~JM~

A great idea. I think the volume production requires some concessions. The maker told me the piece of kydex is folded around the form. So I can see they just bone both sides to the gun. You bake the sheets to get them all floppy (hot!) so they can be molded. Usually a tension button sandwiching a rubber bushing is used for retention. The engineering of being able to retain the piece is one thing, getting the gun back out is another.

I think that knife maker sold sheets and some cheap vacuum fixtures for hobbyists. I may look that up. Revolver kydex IWB is pretty sparse. I also have trouble shelling out $80 for a plastic holster. $25 I’m comfortable with. But neither is useful if it’s uncomfortable or painful.

*BTW you can heat PVC pipe or conduit to the point it’s quite flexible, like a wet noodle. It soon cools back to its rigid state with seemingly minimal strength loss. FWIW.

Forgot! Right now I’m using a “Sticky” brand

WB
[subject]
Friday, August 05, 2022, 10:07 (630 days ago) @ WB

Of holster IWB for revolver. It’s just a rubbery material sheath, no more. (About $30 too!) The material however stays put tucked between the user and trousers. It somehow does not move around, works exactly as advertised. My wife really uses it a bunch. I got her the optional Sticky belly-band holder too. Note my wife is very average size, maybe less so. But it required me to buy a LARGE size to fit comfortably. Cut the size label off before presenting one to a lady. FWIW.

Go For It...

~JM~
[subject]
Friday, August 05, 2022, 19:21 (629 days ago) @ WB

You may become the next Rob Leahy... Kinda.

Why don't you ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, August 05, 2022, 09:08 (630 days ago) @ WB

contact Rob Leahy at Simply Rugged? rob@simplyrugged.com

I use his IWB ...

[image]

[image]

I know Rob, fantastic fellow. I have one for my

WB
[subject]
Friday, August 05, 2022, 10:16 (630 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Reeder ElDiablo .44 Special 4”, custom made for me. He did special belt slots for straight very high tide, or cross-draw, or strong side canted. He even added the loops for IWB carry! It’s great. But hurts me IWB. I’ve threatened to rubber cement a thick pice of lamb skin on the body side cutting out the cylinder hole. I might try that w/o the glue first.

The “Sourdough” is a great versatile rig. I have another for a 4” N-frame. He even put six ctg. Loops on the outside of that one. For .41 Magnum! Super slick! I’ll post a picture of them later. I do wish he’d look into a double thickness layer on the body side. I’m sure he’d make me one just by asking!

He makes matching belts and accessories too. Just call or email him. You know he knows Gary well.

IWB

Marco
[subject]
Sunday, August 07, 2022, 14:08 (627 days ago) @ WB

Cross Breed or Alien Gear, have both and they are comfortable. Good for "boney" and 'fluffy" folks