JT, your Redhawk .45LC /.45ACP

Jim in Flag
[subject]
Wednesday, June 29, 2022, 11:03 (660 days ago)

... did it shoot well with both cartridges?

JT

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, June 29, 2022, 12:04 (660 days ago) @ Jim in Flag

SURPRISINGLY SO .

Ruger “Convertible” .45 Colt/.45ACP Redhawk
Taffin Tests by John Taffin

In 1992 I was on assignment touring gun factories in the North East, and as such I found myself in Bill Ruger's office to conduct an interview for GUNS magazine. When I entered his office I found much more modest surroundings than expected and also found a large couch piled high with gun magazines of every description, a gun cabinet which also contained some notable firearms, and also saw a prototype semi-automatic pistol on his desk. He left word with his secretary that we were not to be disturbed. After the interview I was to follow him home and spend the weekend at his place. We were just talking about things in general when we were interrupted by his secretary with a phone call that he was informed he had to take. Although I could only hear Bill's end of the conversation, I knew it was not good news. As I sat there, Bill Ruger received the tragic word of the seriousness of his son Tom's illness.
After the phone call we discussed this and I offered to leave but he instead said let’s do the interview. After the interview I excused myself and left as I did not want to intrude on the family at such a time. Sharing something as difficult as this with a man makes one seem very close to him. I've had a very special feeling for Bill Ruger ever since in addition to the appreciation I have always had for his firearms genius. In 1994, thanks mainly to Terry Murbach's contact with Sturm, Ruger, 52 Shootist Commemoratives, 4 5/8" stainless Steel Bisley Single-Sixes, were issued. All are marked IN MEMORY OF TOM RUGER. This little gun is pictured on the bottom left hand corner of page 267 in Wilson's RUGER & HIS GUNS.
During our conversation I asked Bill Ruger about bringing out a .45 Colt Redhawk. I have no way of knowing if that had any bearing on the decision but I at least like to think the fact we now have a Redhawk chambered in the grand old cartridge had something to do with our conversation that day. With the advent of the .45 Blackhawk in 1970 we had the strongest .45 Colt single action ever offered; now we had its double action counnterpart. The Redhawk gains its strength in many ways. The threaded area of the frame is very thick, double what one finds in many other sixguns, and the massive cylinder is locked at the rear and front of the cylinder itself rather than at the end of the ejector rod. The barrel carries a heavy rib and the top strap literally speaks of brute strength. And like the single action Blackhawk, the double action Redhawk is virtually indestructible.
The .45 Redhawk was first offered with a 7-1/2” barrel in two models one of which had the barrel scalloped to accept Ruger scope rings. It was also offered with a 5-1/2”barrel and in both blued and stainless steel versions. Then a few years back Ruger brought out what may be one of the most rugged Perfect Packin’ Pistols ever offered, namely the 4” Redhawk in stainless steel and equipped with finger grooved rubber grips to help soak up felt recoil. Now the latest Redhawk .45 is a Convertible Model, however it is different than other convertible models. We are used to single actions which have two cylinders accepting two different cartridges such as .357 Magnum and 9 mm, or .45 Colt and .45 ACP. The new Redhawk which is marked on the side of the barrel 45 Auto-45 Colt does not use two cylinders but rather has one cylinder specially cut to accept both cartridges.
The .45 Colt headspaces on the cartridge rim while the .45 ACP headspaces on the mouth of the cartridge matching up with a ledge in the barrel of a semi-automatic or each chamber of the cylinder. .45 Colt sixguns can be made with cylinders which deliver exceptional accuracy and the same thing can be accomplished with cylinders chambered for the .45 ACP using full-moon clips to hold six cartridges. These clips when used in a double action revolver provide headspacing and also quick loading and unloading. Without the clips there would be nothing for the extractor on a double action revolver to contact to allow for unloading. The .45 Colt has a rim larger than the case diameter while the .45 ACP does not; so special modifications are necessary for the latter when used in a double action revolver. Ruger’s solution is to cut the back of the cylinder to accept six .45 ACP cartridges while at the same time allowing .45 Colt cartridges to headspace properly. Standard .45 ACP full moon clips will not work as there are too thick. The special full moon clips from Ruger are thinner and made of spring steel. Insertion of .45 ACP cartridges as well as removal is much easier with the Ruger full moon clips than standard models which are available.
The Ruger Redhawk, as mentioned above, is designed to handle both .45 Colt and .45 ACP cartridges. My first thought was is it really possible? The second thought was, if so, what about other cartridges such as .460 Rowland, .45 WinMag, and .45 Super? I could envision testing this revolver would take more time than normal. The .45 Colt and .45 ACP chambering would require at least double the time and shooting as well as ammunition as a sixgun with only one chambering, while trying the other cartridges would certainly add to this. Even with all this I was looking forward to the testing as I have been a fan of the .45 Redhawk for many years.
First, let’s take a look at the revolver itself. This Redhawk has a 4” barrel, is constructed of stainless steel, and has the typical excellent Ruger adjustable sights with the front sight having the interchangeable feature. However, no extra sights are provided. The single action trigger pull did not help any in my testing as it measured over 7-1/2 pounds on the Brownell’s Trigger Pull Gauge. I have already sent off my check to purchase this revolver so the next step is to have my gunsmith Tom at Buckhorn smooth out the trigger. The grip is quite different on this gun as it is about the size of the old original Smith & Wesson Magna with the back of the butt round butted. The grips themselves are laminated rosewood with checkering.In fact my third thought was they would not be very user-friendly when it came to felt recoil; I was wrong. I found them quite comfortable to use with everything except a .45 Colt load with the 365 grain bullet at just under 1,100 fps. That load definitely talked to me! Almost had me talkin’ to myself! Let’s take a look at the different chamberings and how they worked in this new Ruger Redhawk.
.45 ACP Since this is the first Redhawk ever chambered in .45 ACP I used this as my starting point. Shooting at 20 yards I was quite disappointed to find my first group for five shots measured 3”; and some loads were actually worse than this. It didn’t take long to find out that this revolver was very picky when shooting .45 ACP loads. I soon discovered it preferred the lighter loads using hard cast bullets. The Buffalo Bore Low Recoil .45 ACPs with both 180 and 200 grain hard cast bullets at muzzle velocities of 724 and 654 fps respectively, both shot well comparatively speaking with groups of 1-1/2” and 1-3/8” respectively. My personally assembled Low Recoil load using the Oregon Trail 225 hard cast round nosed bullet over 5.0 grains of Bullseye for 688 fps also shot relatively well with a five-shot group of 1-3/4”.
Any of these loads, even those at 3” or better, would certainly suffice for self-defense at 20 yards, however I wanted better results so I decided to see what would happen at what is normally accepted as a self-defense distance of 7 yards. Groups tightened up considerably. My theory is these loads have such a free bore to follow through the cylinder they don’t always enter the barrel straight on and have trouble maintaining their stabilization much past 10 yards. Shooting at 7 yards made me feel much better. The Black Hills 185 JHP clocked out at 764 fps with a 1” group, Buffalo Bore’s 180 Hard Cast Low Recoil at 724 fps delivered a group of 3/4", and my handload using the Oregon Trail 200 SWC over 4.0 grains of Bullseye at just over 700 fps turned in a group of 7/8” while all the other groups where right at 1-1/2” or less. So, the Ruger Redhawk loaded with .45 ACP loads would certainly not be a problem at a reasonable self-defense distance.
.45 COLT I expected much better performance from this load and I was not disappointed. I especially had good luck with my old standard load of 8.0 grains of Unique. The Lyman #454424 Keith bullet sized to .454” clocked out just over 900 fps with a group of 1-1/4” while the more modernized version of this bullet #452424 sized at .452” clocked out at just over 800 fps while shooting a slightly tighter group at one-inch. The RCBS version of this bullet, #45-255KT over 20.0 grains of #4227 shot just under 925 fps with a 1” group. Rim Rock’s version of this bullet gas checked and loaded over 8.5 grains of Universal was just under 900 fps with a group of 1-1/8”. The load that really surprised me, but should have not done so, was the old original flat nose bullet from 1873, in this case dropped from an old Lachmiller three-cavity mold, loaded over 8.0 grains of Unique pretty much duplicated the old black powder load at 850 fps with a nice tight group of 7/8”. Any of these loads would be perfectly suitable as an everyday working load.
Garrett Cartridges of Texas is now owned by my friend Ashley Emerson and he has been adding to the original list of high quality ammunition offered by Randy Garrett. Ashley has branched into the .45 Colt and .454 offerings. Two of his .45 Colt loads are the .45 Colt+P 265 grain hard cast Hammer Head designed for use in 2nd and 3rd Generation Colt Single Actions and recently produced Uberti replicas. This load clocks out just over 900 fps from the 4” barrel and is very pleasant to shoot. This cannot be said about the Garrett Cartridges of Texas 365 LFR (Large Frame Revolver) +P Hammer Head. This is a very serious load and more than the Ruger Redhawk Grip could handle comfortably for me. However, if I was going to wander anywhere I would have to worry about something wanting to bite, scratch, claw, or eat me, this is the load I would carry. I never feel recoil when I am hunting and I certainly would not feel recoil of these loads if I found myself in a serious situation.
This new Ruger Redhawk is designed for use with the .45 ACP and .45 Colt and I’m sure Ruger would not recommend any other cartridges. However, being the curious sort I had to try some.
.45 WINMAG These cartridges are slightly shorter than the .45 Colt and I expected them to perform relatively well. My handload of the Oregon Trail 255 SWC over 8.0 grains of Unique clocked out over 925 fps with a 1” group with five shots at 20 yards. I also tried the Black Hills 230 JHP, 1,150 fps and 1-7/8”, and the Winchester 250 JHP for the same velocity and group size. There is one large fly in the ointment when trying to use the .45 WinMag in the Ruger full-moon clips. They will fit, however they put a squeeze on the fingers preventing all six cartridges to fully enter the cylinder. All of these loads mentioned used Winchester .45 WM brass which is larger in diameter at the extractor cut in the base than .45 ACP. In fact for handloading the regular .45 ACP shell holder will not work but the .30-30 shell holder will. To solve the problem my friend Denis used a Dremel cut-off wheel to turn full-moon clips into three one-third moon clips and then took some material off of each side of the clip which allowed all three to drop easily into the cylinder. Starline .45 WM brass is closer to .45 ACP in size and six will fit in the full-moon clips and enter the cylinder. Again, do not take this as a recommendation for me or from Ruger to use .45 WinMag cartridges. I was especially careful to stay away from some of the very heavy loads which are out there.
.45 ROWLAND Again I was careful to stay away from some of the heavy handloads I have on hand and instead tried the Buffalo Bore 230 FMJ. This load is just under 1,200 fps from the 4” Redhawk and puts five shots in 1-1/2” at 20 yards.
.45 SUPER This load proved to be a real washout. I am surmising the velocities are just too high for the bullets to make it through the length of that cylinder without tumbling. All loads key-holed on the target.
Although I tried the three other cartridges I will stay with the Ruger recommended .45 Colt and .45 ACP. For regular carry I would have six .45 Colt cartridges in the cylinder backed up by two or three full-moon clips loaded with .45 ACP cartridges. The full-moon clips are available from Ruger and you would want to keep fresh clips loaded for use as they do tend to stretch slightly when loaded and unloaded with cartridges several times. This would be no problem normally but carried in a pocket cartridges could fall out of their proper space in the full-moon clips.
The Redhawk is probably the strongest double action revolver ever offered which is at the same time packable. The Super Redhawk may or may not be stronger, however it is certainly not as packable as the original Redhawk. It comes close when the barrel is cut to 4” or so, but only close. The Redhawk is the better choice for everyday carry. I cannot ever see it failing.

Test-Fire: Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt x 4”
Load MV 5 Shots/20 Yards
Black Hills 250 RNFP 708 fps 1-7/8”
Federal 225 LSWCHP 737 fps 1-3/4”
HPR 250 TMJ 874 fps 1-1/2”
Garrett Cartridges of Texas +P 265 HH 910 fps 1-1/2”
Garrett Cartridges of Texas 365 LFR +P HH 1,062 fps 2”
Lyman #452424/8.0 gr. Unique 806 fps 1”
Lyman #454424(.454”)/8.0 gr. Unique 904 fps 1-1/4”
Lachmiller #45-255FN/8.0 gr. Unique 847 fps 7/8”
Lyman #452424/9.0 gr. Unique 911 fps 1-1/2”
Lyman #452424/10.0 gr. Unique 968 fps 2”