WHAT A DAY!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, May 15, 2022, 11:05 (684 days ago)

(not me ... this is as it was told to me by the hero of this story)

Some folks call me a hero and some call me a no-good SOB and maybe all of 'em are correct. Either way, that is how life plays out, especially when it's being judged by people that weren't there. All I can say is I never started out with the intention of being either one of those. And I didn't do anything with those things in mind. I was just trying to stay alive and keep the folks with me alive. The only good part is that it's on video. The bad part is that it's on video.

I drove into town that morning with the express purpose of going to Walmart and picking up a few needed items. I was not looking for or expecting any kind of trouble. Sure, I had a small pistol in my pocket. But heck, everyone carries a gun these days .. or should. It was a little Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum. A 5 shot revolver. Small, light, easy to forget about it being in your pocket. I wasn't looking for trouble. I go out of my way to avoid it if possible. But today it hit me in the face!

I had gone into the store and was heading for the grocery section when I heard a woman's voice that was obviously having some kind of serious problem. Not quite a scream. More a cry. I went around the corner and there was this guy slamming this lady around. My first reaction was to yell at him to stop. He grabbed her by the neck and told me to F- off. I said something like “Sir, let her go.” and BAM he hit me right in the nose! He let go of her and pulled a large knife out from under his shirt and I backed up, eyes watering. He advanced at me and I went to pull the gun out of my pocket. Somehow as I was getting it out it fired in my pocket, blowing a large hole in my pants and scorching the crap out of my leg. The guy with the knife went down on the ground screaming and bleeding. I found out later the bullet hit his right shin and broke his leg.

I was kinda dumbfounded by all this .. it happened in a split second .. and so there I was trying to put the fire out on my leg .. the pants were smoldering around the edges of the hole blown in them .. and wondering what happened to the guy on the ground when something hit me in the left arm. It wasn't hard but it stung. I turned as a guy sorta behind me to the left shot at me again and knocked my glasses off my head. I brought my pistol up at the same time my glasses flew away and wow … I could see the sights! But whoever was shooting at me was sorta in the dark … a dim figure in the shadows. I shot at him .. turned out I fired 3 shots .. and he disappeared.

So I am standing there with a lady screaming and crying and a guy on the floor bleeding and yelling and a shooter who has disappeared. I shook myself and saw my glasses on the floor so I picked them up. One earpiece was gone but I put them on and then I could see the shooter back behind a shelf of potato chips .. moaning and rolling around. I staggered over and kicked the gun away from his hand. He hand was bloody and his crotch was bloody. Seems one of my shots missed, but one went through his right hand removing several fingers and caused him to drop his gun. One shot went through his crotch and removed his right testicle.

About that time the store security arrived and took me into custody. Eventually the Police and the ambulance arrived and though it took awhile everything got sorted out. They even let me watch the video that the store cameras recorded.

The lady was beat up but nothing was broken. I had a bloody nose and a deep gouge across my left arm. And a pair of broken glasses. The offenders were hauled away. I had to give a statement to the Police and was told I would most likely have to testify. The family of the brothers … turned out an older brother was helping his younger brother beat the younger one's wife because she was divorcing him .. well their family have been vicious about how wrong it was for me to shoot their boys! According them I should have stayed out of it … that it was none of my business.

And my friends have nicknamed me “Ball Shooter” …..

On top of it all I never did get the things I needed from Walmart.

Wow

Lymey
[subject]
Sunday, May 15, 2022, 11:28 (684 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

“And now you know the rest of the story”. Lol

Sid R
[subject]
Sunday, May 15, 2022, 12:08 (684 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Had he not been armed, he would probable be dead.

MTM
[subject]
Sunday, May 15, 2022, 12:36 (684 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Wow is right-- he wound up doing everything

Lynn
[subject]
Monday, May 16, 2022, 09:29 (683 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I was told in my carry class not to do... glad it turned out as well as it did...