some strange primers hitting the market

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 10:51 (888 days ago)

this last week or two we have been able to buy several thousand primers that I have never seen before. They are made by CCI and are listed as the #41 primers, meant for the 5.56 loading. Not sure if that means you can't use them for other situations where small rifle primers are intended.
The down side is the cost. Buying them in 5000 round packets they cost us well over $110 per thousand. Plus shipping and Haz Mat. So we are having to sell them for $14.95 per 100 pack. I hate it that we have to jack up the prices but it is either that or sell none at all. And we aren't selling them in bulk or by the thousand. They are going by the 100 pack so everyone will have a chance to get some.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Harder cup to resist full-auto slamfire.

Sooner
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 11:48 (888 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I’ve read that too. Rifle or SS should have no problems

WB
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 14:36 (888 days ago) @ Sooner

- No text -

I would hope so, but keep in mind the M1/M14/M16

Sooner
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 14:46 (888 days ago) @ WB

are hammer fired and not striker fired as most rifles.

by SS I assume you mean the single shot?

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 15:44 (888 days ago) @ WB

If so I would bet you would have way more problems with the G-2 and Encore than most rifles. The single shots have a small hammer fall to set off the primer and it isn't the hardest hitting hammer around being lightweight and a fairly mild hammer spring, especially if you have had an action job or your hammer is wearing one of those silly hammer extensions that cause a lot of misfires due to slowing down the hammer fall. Either way I wouldn't put the single shots in the same category as a rifle. The rifle has a 7 or 8" firing pin and a stiff firing pin spring. Unless the spring is worn thru the years or the rifle has had a way too light action job done to it, they seldom misfire.

I’ve used small rifle primers with good results

WB
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 17:01 (888 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

In old Contenders and Late (stock, Non-modified) G2. But I’ve not shot the military spec caps or tried them on a chassis with a lighter hammer spring.

I’m not sure about the story of thicker or harder cups. I’m a little skeptical. I figure they just use brass, unplated cups, and bland packaging to cut costs. But I’d not really try any rifle caps in a revolver. I have before myself though, (I actually do a lot of goofy things you probably shouldn’t) some worked some didn’t.

Not just primers, I had to pay $137 for

JT
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 12:06 (888 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

1000 Remington Percussion caps.

that works out to almost $14 per hundred. That

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 15:21 (888 days ago) @ JT

is the highest I have ever seen percussion caps.

Seems to be the going price ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 15:25 (888 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I bought 100 CCI at local shop a couple weeks ago ...$12.00 plus tax.

the caps are just as hard to get if not more so than

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 16:24 (888 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

primers. We have had several thousand of them ordered since March or so and nothing yet.

we don' t really try hard to get the caps as black powder is

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 16:31 (888 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

illegal here in this county so black powder rifles and such are a very small percentage of our sales. I don't remember the last time a customer came into the shop asking for a black powder rifle.

Black powder is actually illegal there?

Keith H.
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 21:28 (888 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

yep, has been for over 30 years. Due to forest fire

gary reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 22:40 (888 days ago) @ Keith H.

danger.

Reminds me of some I picked up at a gun show

AmBraCol
[subject]
Thursday, December 02, 2021, 12:09 (888 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

years back... towards end of the 20th Century. Can't remember the number, but CCI and labeled for military calibers. Large Rifle size, got a lot of misfires/no fires in the old P17 and quit using them. I think the old rifle's mainspring needs swapped out. Anyway, the military caliber designation indicates a harder primer cup than usual. You'll need a health WHACK to set it off reliably.

Reading Townsend Whelen's book on reloading and doing the math, he was paying the equivalent of $10 per hundred for large rifle primers back in the 50's. It hurts to see them retailing for half again as much, but not unexpected with the current situation. I'd pick up a pack to try "just for grins and science" if dropping by your place.

Cci primer

Clint H
[subject]
Friday, December 03, 2021, 14:18 (887 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

It’s a military spec primer for the 556 ammo developed by CCI.
Usually reserved and sold to ammunition manufacturers for military ammo contracts.