Knock some sense into me please

TM
[subject]
Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 09:22 (855 days ago)

I have been contemplating trading my Model 29 for a Redhawk, simply to handle "hotter loads", when in actuality I probably don't need to. Here is what Ruger has to say about it.
"Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is 10304485
We cannot recommend using the 44Mag +P in our guns as it is not a SAAMI cartridge".

I also have a Toklat, Ruger's 5" barreled .454 Casull According to Ruger the Toklat and the 4" Redhawk weigh the same, 47 ounces. So I will, or should keep the M29 and my Super Blackhawk and stick with factory loads in both and if the need arises, go to the Toklat. I wanted the Redhawk for my bucket list fly fishing trips deep into the bear country of MT and WY. I am already set up with chest holsters for all 3 guns so spending money on a Redhawk is probably unwarranted. Any and all opinions welcomed.

Sounds like you have thought it through. Sounds like a good

SPB
[subject]
Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 09:39 (855 days ago) @ TM

Decision. Buy more ammunition

model 29

Okie
[subject]
Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 09:46 (855 days ago) @ SPB

As value increases daily on model 29's if it's an older one I would keep it if I could, it's just money in the bank. I wouldn't shoot any hot loads through it either if you already have Ruger's around. Ruger will tell you not to shoot anything other than factory loads, and no hot stuff even though we all know they will handle it if the loads are within reason and nothing stupid. If want something hot that .454 you have will handle anything and give you plenty of recoil to boot!

.454 Recoil

TM
[subject]
Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 10:57 (855 days ago) @ Okie

Yeah, the .454 does not come up short in the recoil department. It is pretty stout with the factory stuff I have run thru it so far. Not horrendous but not for a beginner either. I didn't really go out looking for one, just happened to be at Cabela's one afternoon, they had it, I wanted it and walked out with it. Overtime every time I saw .454 ammo I would pick up a box, forgetting I already had some and now I probably have a dozen or so boxes. 240 and 300 gr. Hornady and a box or two of 325 gr hard cast.

Okie
[subject]
Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 13:55 (855 days ago) @ TM

I bought a Super Redhawk when they first came out in .454 and it was a real jump compared to the .44 magnums I had been shooting. I got rid of the .454 and I wished I would have kept it now it would have saved me a lot of money! I've got both Linebaugh calibers now and a couple of Freedom Arms in .454 and .50 AE. I think a .454 is a versatile round and if you want you can shoot .45's out of it it's really about all the cartridge you need in the U.S and maybe Africa. But it does kick!

I figure it is all I will

TM
[subject]
Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 14:18 (855 days ago) @ Okie

ever need, here, there or anywhere. There's nothing walking the planet it can't take care of.

Redhawk

Okie
[subject]
Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 15:06 (855 days ago) @ TM

I'm sure it is, biggest thing I hunt are hogs! A .41 mag will take care of them, but you can never have to much gun!!

Keep what you have and buy the Redhawk you want as well

MTM
[subject]
Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 09:42 (855 days ago) @ TM

Enjoy the guns and trips you want now. If you save it for your kids, they will waste it on buying Stupid stuff.

Factory reloading manuals

Ray
[subject]
Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 10:37 (855 days ago) @ TM

You will find "Ruger only" loads in many of these which were developed for use in the Super Blackhawk which isn't as big as the Redhawk. Why carry the weight and bulk if you don't have a gain in performance?

due to liability any gun company will tell

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 11:22 (855 days ago) @ TM

you to stay with factory loads. The 44 mag +P has not been rated yet by SAAMI so that is why they tell you to stay away from it. Many will tell you that handloads will void your warranty. As I mentioned down below, no gun is idiot proof. Stay away from the overly heavy bullets and loads that are not shown in the loading manual and you will be fine.

Don’t get rid of your 29, you will miss it

steve todd
[subject]
Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 17:35 (855 days ago) @ TM

Mine was a 629, but a great gun. I wanted (still do) a Redhawk, but wanted it to send to Gary.