Silly Question, But I'm Confused

TM
[subject]
Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 08:22 (14 days ago)

I have read the multiple opinions on the internet about heavy .44 magnum loads. I have an older S&W Model 29 made in the early 1980's which S&W has recommends not shooting anything over 240 grain loads in, I'm fine with that. Can my Ruger Super Blackhawk shoot some of the heavier loads, say
300 gr, maybe a little bigger? I know a lot of it has to deal with the pressure a particular load generates, but since I don't handload I have to stick with factory loads. I have several boxes of Hornady 300 gr. XTP in .44 magnum on hand.
A 240 gr. should be fine for most anything I will ever do but since I have multiple boxes of 300 gr loads I may as well use them.

RUGER? YES

JT
[subject]
Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 08:24 (14 days ago) @ TM

- No text -

I remember Mr. JT saying that the Smith is a thoroughbred

SPB
[subject]
Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 09:51 (14 days ago) @ JT

and the Ruger is a Clydesdale. Use each accordingly.

I guess we both heard him say that.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 10:02 (14 days ago) @ SPB

- No text -

the Redhawk is the workhorse of the group. Super strong.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 09:54 (14 days ago) @ JT

the Super Blackhawk is strong also, maybe not quite as strong as the Redhawk but much stronger than the model 29. Years ago I had a good friend at S&W as a tech and he kept me updated on new guns. I was shooting the S&W model 29, a 8" nickel and 8" blue at lot at the time and a custom bullet maker in that area brought me some heavy bullets in the 275 grain and 300 grain weight. That was considered extremely heavy in 1978. Anyway I shot some of each and got patterns rather than groups. I asked my friend at S&W and he said probably the twist rate on the model 29 was not set up for bullets that heavy. I figured he knew much more than I did so I went back to my 240 grain bullets in one of the guns. The other one loved the 180 grain Sierra bullets. I gave the heavy bullets to a friend who loaded for a Marlin 444.
Since then I have never shot anything over 250 grains in either of the model 29s. Like John Taffin says the S&W is the thorobred while the Super Blackhawk and Redhawk are the work horses.

Gary that’s very interesting that the

Grover St
[subject]
Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 12:47 (13 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Super RedHawk is stronger than the Blackhawk. Dumb ol’ me assumed the crane made a DA weaker than a SA. Well, you know what they say about people that assume!

no revolver is idiot proof but the heavy cylinder in the

gary reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 21:34 (13 days ago) @ Grover St

Redhawk and Super Redhawk will handle any sensible load or any factory load. The reason being the locking notch on the side of the cylinder is slightly off center on the two DA guns whereas on most single action 6 shot cylinders the locking notch is dead center over the chamber. The metal underneath that is about as thick as your fingernail on your little finger.

Thanks for that Gary

Grover Sr
[subject]
Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 12:42 (12 days ago) @ gary reeder

- No text -

My knuckle is tingling at the prospect.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 10:07 (14 days ago) @ JT

I love the "looks" of the SBH but the grip never really fit me. I bought a gripframe for a regular stainless BH and fitted to to my gun. MUCH better for me. Gary makes a "Magnum SA" gripframe that addresses much of the issues.

On the regular BH frame I had a very early Reeder BH in .475 LB. BOY would that thing eat me up! I had Gary re-do it to a "gunfighter" configuration and it was so much better! For a .475 that is saying a lot!

I have a huge box of .430" 315 gr. truncated nose plain base bullets. I load them with a variety of slow powder quite safely to 1200-1300 fps, about all I want in the SBH. I mean it will shoot clean through a telephone pole, how much more do you need?! The gun handles them fine, better than I do. Mine is Mag-na-ported which is supposed to help. I have video of the gases shooting out the ports so it should do something but it's hard to tell by seat of the pants. It mostly blasts lead on the sides of the front sight and post. I'm not a fan of the ports on revolvers, single shots and rifles yes.

[image]

Correction, those are 330 gr. SSK bullets

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 10:08 (14 days ago) @ WB

I know know why we got them so cheap! LOL Brutal.

THE SB GRIP FDRAME ONLY

JT
[subject]
Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 11:11 (14 days ago) @ WB

WORKS FOR ME ON[image]