Any of you shoot coated bullets in your revolvers?

Dave H.
[subject]
Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 03:31 (920 days ago)

I’m seeing many choices for “coated” lead bullets in 9/357/45/44 diameter, but I’ve never shot any. I think some of the competitive guys shoot them in their autos.

I’m thinking of getting some for my 44s, but I have no idea how they affect the barrel/bore. Appreciate any thoughts or comments on the subject.

I’ve been using them for a few years

steve todd
[subject]
Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 05:53 (920 days ago) @ Dave H.

However, i have no idea how they affect the bore or forcing cone. No leading with coated bullets. I’ve used Acme bullets and Eastwood powder coating powder. The bullets are very soft after heating them to 400*F for 20 minutes (Eastwood’s recommended time and temp). Bullets are slightly harder if dropped in water immediately after “baking”.
Powder coating does take some time, so using them for hunting works for me, although i have a large backlog of cast bullets waiting to be coated. I couldn’t do it for competitions or practice unless buying Acme bullets which are hard bullets that are coated with a different process that doesn’t require baking.
I like the non leading of the bore, and the performance of the powder coated bullets in revolvers, single shot, and semi-auto pistols. I’ve used them in 45Colt, 30 Carbine, 300GNR, 38 Special, 32S&W, and 475 Linebaugh as far as revolvers. I’ve used them in 10mm, 9mm, 380 Auto, and 45ACP in auto loaders, and 454 Casull, 378GNR, 300GNR, 30-30 AI, and 6TCU in single shot pistols. I haven’t shot jacketed bullets (except factory 9mm) for quite a while now, and with availability, probably wont for a long time either.

Tried a few in my sixguns

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 06:11 (920 days ago) @ Dave H.

and they worked OK. I prefer the old way of sizing and lubing since I cast my own. I ain't saying it is "better" .. just saying I prefer it.

It’s actually not “new”. S&W in the 70’s

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 09:33 (919 days ago) @ Dave H.

For sure had their line of “Nycad” ammo. Sort of the same thing, a soft lead bullet encased in a thin plastic-poly jacket of some sort. Totally encased it did not lead nor produced lead “fumes” at indoor ranges.

The “paint” coated Bullets is simply a modern method applied. You get a plastic jacketed bullet. It’s quite resilient typically and stays on the bullet even through rifling and expansion, it does not peel off properly applied. I have shot them closer to 3,000 fps than not, and no leading (FPGC .257 cal.). So handgun applications are pretty easy to see the benefits. Also since it is a “coating” you can bump up the diameter too. Turn .355 9mm into perfect .357” projectiles. Or in a late case, coat a 10mm gas check shank to better hold a .41 gas check.

I blew my oven and sorely miss the method. I’m getting back into the swing.

Nyclad

TM
[subject]
Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 09:52 (919 days ago) @ WB

Nylon coated.

[image]

Who took my “l’s”! Lol. It was sort of a plastic

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 19:25 (919 days ago) @ TM

Looking coating. They expanded very well, I figured almost pure lead cores. Not much worked well in 9mm back then but those did.

Been shooting them quite a bit in my 44 and 45s

Amede
[subject]
Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 10:39 (919 days ago) @ Dave H.

44 Special, 44 Mag, 45 Colt(light to heavy) and 454 Casull. Have not noticed any residue in the barrel and they seem to shoot well for me. Not any better than regular lead bullets, but they are easy to deal with and I dont have to pay for gas checks when pushing them hard.