HEY WB

JT
[subject]
Saturday, October 09, 2021, 07:16 (901 days ago)

What a rig! Back in the day 1851-72

WB
[subject]
Saturday, October 09, 2021, 07:28 (901 days ago) @ JT

A brace of those would afford a man some serious firepower. I’ve always liked the cylinder notches/pin positions on C&B that allow loading all six and locking in safe with the down hammer between chambers. Not many speak about that feature. With C&B you need all six loaded.

YES. PINS ON COLTS AND SLOTS ON REMINGTONS

JT
[subject]
Saturday, October 09, 2021, 08:26 (901 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Why was it not continued with the 1873?

WB
[subject]
Saturday, October 09, 2021, 09:20 (901 days ago) @ JT

Nobody ever talks about the hammer safety notch (the first click) either. It seems to me you could carry the SAA , or OM Rugers for that matter, with a full six in pretty relative safety. The hammer notch is very robust and would truly require tremendous blow to break.

I think the skipped chamber thing has been over romanticized through the years. IMO.

I do note my new Cimirron/Uberti Open Top in .38 has a very well hidden firing pin “lock out” as well as that safety notch on the hammer timing. I just noted it in the owners manual.

Hammer notches break easier than you think ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, October 09, 2021, 09:33 (901 days ago) @ WB

"robust" is not a word I would use to describe them on the SAA Colt's and copies. I've see Old Model Rugers break.

As to loading 6 and letting the hammer down in between the cartridge rims .. not much room in the 45 Colt. And it does not take much to get the cylinder to rotate and pop into battery with the hammer and firing pin resting on a live cartridge.

GRET MINDS THINK ALIKE!!

JT
[subject]
Saturday, October 09, 2021, 09:44 (901 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

.45 Colt Cylinder

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, October 09, 2021, 09:47 (901 days ago) @ JT

[image]

.45 Colt, .44 WCF, .38 WCF all about the same rim size. No room between.

.44 Special is smaller .. not by much.

.41 Colt ... .38 .. .32 WCF there is room between but as John and I have said, it ain't safe.

Meant to add

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, October 09, 2021, 09:50 (901 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Yes, the firing pin can be let down between the rims .. at the "V" shaped section between. But it can be defeated easily by the wrong move and suddenly become dangerous.

This kind of stuff was tried for years ... from 1873 on.

The 1871-72 open top does not look

WB
[subject]
Saturday, October 09, 2021, 17:32 (900 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

like any type of "between" rounds is practical. The safety notch on the hammer freewheels the cylinder so that's not good. For certain it is is load five rig.

GREAT

JT
[subject]
Saturday, October 09, 2021, 10:36 (901 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

NOT ENOUGH ROOM BUT SOME

JT
[subject]
Saturday, October 09, 2021, 09:43 (901 days ago) @ WB

HAVE CARRIED THE COLT WITH THE PIN RESTING BETWEEN RIMS. VERY PRECARIOUS. I DON'T BUY THE THEORY OF "ROBUST". TOO MANY HAVE BEEN SHOT TRYING TO DO SO. A GOOD WHACK ON THE HAMMER WILL SHEAR THE SO-CALLED SAFTY NOTCH. NO "ROMANTICIZING"! LOAD ONE-SKIP ONE-LOAD FOUR.