It’s been a while since I’ve bought a gun with no purpose

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 18:05 (940 days ago)

Other than the sheer enjoyment of pleasure plinking and informal paper punching. No aftermarket sights, grips, scopes, not even a holster planned. Not a hunting gun. Not bought to impress Doug, making his eyes widen with wondering delight. I’m just going to enjoy and shoot it, for me.

I’ll admit the pressure felt after reading some of Mr. Taffin’s articles. A sweet relief upon point of purchase (forward that to Mr Uberti!). I love the civil war and post period guns. All the charm of a sleek cap & ball but no nasty smoke or slowed loading. It’s not a Richards Mason conversion but a 1872 open-top Colt SAA. The fact it came chambered in .38 Colt (ok I’m lying a 1/10”, .38 Special) is perfect for my intent and I won’t be tempted to explore outside of its reasonable use.

[image]

I traded a shotgun to acquire it and since I’d had it a while that puts me into this new revolver at $300 cash all in. (My has it really been that long?!) Good guns are an appreciating investment, usually. The front and rear sights are small but good. Floating hammer mounted firing pin and a real .358 diameter bore, not .375. This piece sports a 1851 Navy brass grip frame akin to an OM Ruger but points like a 1860 Army or 1861 Navy. Those long snouted guns have the later steel grip that’s longer and reminds me of a Super Blackhawk. The varied subtle features of all those old irons are a delight to explore.

I’ve got a box of HBWC just waiting for a time like this.

I have a few with the soul purpose is to soot it.

Sid R
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 19:24 (940 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

BEEN SHOOTIN' A LOT OF

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 19:44 (940 days ago) @ Sid R

BLACK POWDER SO "SOOTIN'" THEM ALL.

Does the 1860 Army have a different grip shape than the

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 22:23 (940 days ago) @ JT

Brass 1851? Or is it the color and warmth of the metal throwing me off? I do t have both to compare.

NORMAL 1851 SHAPE IS

JT
[subject]
Thursday, September 23, 2021, 05:37 (939 days ago) @ WB

THE SAME AS THE COLT SINGLE ACTION BUT SOME ALSO COME THROUGH FITTED WITH 1860 GRIP FRAMES WHICH ARE LONGER.

THEY HAVE A SERIOUS SIDE BUT

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 19:43 (940 days ago) @ WB

MOSTLY JUST PURE FUN SHOOTING.

[image][image][image]

Fun is the best purpose I've found!

ChrisG
[subject]
Saturday, September 25, 2021, 08:29 (937 days ago) @ WB

- No text -