6.5 GNR

Ronnie P
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 11:29 (940 days ago)

I just came across a Contender barrel in 6.5 GNR. I don’t see a whole lot about this round other than the data in my GNR reloading manual. Tell me about it if you can

There are some other “wildcat” 6.5 on the .30-30

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 12:48 (940 days ago) @ Ronnie P

But none with as large a capacity as the 6.5 GNR. It’s maxed out! The .30-30 case is strong, available, and a perfect capacity for good burn with proper powders in the handgun single shot barrel.

If you like to tinker with 6.5 it’s a great platform. The varied .225 Win. Based 6.5’s are also running behind the 6.5 GNR. The .225 is very close to the .30-30 in size. I’ve made .225’s from .30-30’s.

Bullet selection is critical with .264 bullets. I personally have experienced 100 gr. Core-lock bullets blow up on game with the smaller 6.5 Raptor on the .204 Ruger case (2400 fps). There is no reason to think they’d do different pushed faster! The more robust bullets are well suited, provided they are not so tough they don’t open up and blow through like a FMJ.

But with a burst of 6.5 popularity things should only get better and a much wider selection of projectiles.

WB

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 14:07 (940 days ago) @ WB

DID YOU HAVE TO TURN DOWN THE RIM WHEN MAKING 225's OUT OF 30-30 & IF SO HOW'D YOU DO THAT

Just chucked them in the lathe, turned rims till

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 16:05 (940 days ago) @ BUCKWHEAT

They fit the shell holder for the press.

I made up about 40. 20 fir 6.5 Merrill

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 16:11 (940 days ago) @ WB

And the same for 7mm Merrill in a RPM-Xl pistol.

KINDA FIGURED THAT

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 16:26 (940 days ago) @ WB

BUT ALL I HAVE NOW IS AN 70 YEAR OLD 5 FOOT WOOD LATHE & I FIGURE I CAN DO IT BUT THE STUP REQUIRED TO DO IT IS QUITE A HASSLE

SETUP IS WHAT I MEANT

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 16:28 (940 days ago) @ BUCKWHEAT

AND THEN LIKE YOU SAID - IT WOULD BE KINDA GUESS WORK & I'D HAVE TO CHECK EACH ONE TILL I GOT WHERE I WANTED TO BE
ANYWAY -- THANKS

I figured a method on the chuck depth

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 17:44 (940 days ago) @ BUCKWHEAT

Then referenced the X/Y indices on the table. In reality as you cut the brass eyeballing will get you within a thousandth or so. The objective is to get it to work, extract. I was not going to keep the calibers but wanted to experience them.

MY METHOD

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Thursday, September 23, 2021, 04:19 (939 days ago) @ WB

WAS THE SAME -- EXCEPT OF COURSE WITHOUT THE X/Y INDICES !!! ROFLMAO
I FIGURED I'D JUST DO A BIT -- TAKE IT OUT - CHECK IT IN THE SHELLHOLDER & WHEN I GOT TO THE POINT WHERE I FELT I WAS PRETTY CLOSE - SEE WHAT IT DID IN THE GUN
BUT ALAS -- JUST THINKING ABOUT IT WOUND UP BEING ALL THE FIDDLING I WANTED TO DO
BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN INDULGE ANY FURTHER OC DISORDERS !!
LIKE SHOOTING PILES OF WOOD

It took me a while to understand I was not

WB
[subject]
Thursday, September 23, 2021, 07:56 (939 days ago) @ BUCKWHEAT

trying to conform to a spec. drawing, that was the incorrect attitude. Rather, I needed to make it fit my specific rig, then reproduce them. It mattered none what the dimensional numbers were, only that it worked. Same as making parts for guns, don't replicate the old part, make the new one fit and work. A much better result.

I CANT SEE IT ANY OTHER WAY

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Thursday, September 23, 2021, 08:24 (939 days ago) @ WB

IF IT SHOOTS & EXTRACTS IT'S RIGHT - RIGHT ?