429 GNR

Michael
[subject]
Monday, September 20, 2021, 10:41 (946 days ago)

Hello
I ordered a Big Horn Hunter in 429 GNR. My question is what are the best options for primers.I bought the GNR reloading manual and is has listed Winchester small pistol magnum primers. With primers hard to find are there other options . Gary also lists H-110,AA#9, are there better options for the longer barrels of a marlin. thanks Michael.

I’ve used CCI SP magnum and Rem. #7-1/2 rifle

WB
[subject]
Monday, September 20, 2021, 11:35 (946 days ago) @ Michael

The single shots can use small magnum rifle primers fine BUT revolvers might not reliably pop them. I had issues with too light strikes with RedHawks. Stick to “magnum” small pistol and you should be fine. Shotgun fast flake powders like Unique etc. you can use “standard” small pistol.

Retaining as much neck tension as possible is helpful too and not over crimping. Going nuts crimping can undo the small neck’s grip. Neck tension is a lot stronger than a crimp. Treat it like a bottleneck rifle round with moderate crimp.

I shoot a 310 gr. Cast bullet (1500-1600 fps; 9.5” RH) but I consider it THE max weight for a multi chamber revolver application due to possible bullet pull with recoil. Lighter bullets have a notable easier time of it.

429 GNR Marlin

Michael
[subject]
Monday, September 20, 2021, 12:00 (946 days ago) @ WB

Thanks. Michael

don't start loading until you get the gun back.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, September 20, 2021, 13:37 (946 days ago) @ Michael

Every gun is different and you may have to move the shoulder back a thou or two for it to chamber. Also when you get the die set and start loading never use the middle die, the neck expander. Just chamfer the mouth of the case just enough for the bullet to sit on top of the case. I use the chamfering tool in the Makita type battery operated tool but if you don't have that you can use one of the little bomb shaped manual tools. With the battery operated tool it only takes about half a second to chamfer the mouth of the case.
[image]
[image]
[image]
Not using the neck expander keeps the neck tension in and holds the bullet fast. Do a light crimp just where you can just see the mouth of the case turning into the cannellure.

429 GNR marlin

Michael
[subject]
Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 20:31 (945 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Hi
I haven't loaded anything yet.I will probably order the dies in November.I have the Lyman case xpress that has the chamfer tool.I just wanted to have all the components and tools ready . Thanks for the advice about crimping. Michael

the Remington 5 1/2 is good too. That is the

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, September 20, 2021, 13:26 (946 days ago) @ WB

small pistol magnum primer.