pretty much ready for our Africa hunt next week.

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, September 19, 2021, 13:48 (921 days ago)

I am waffling on the load for my 429 GNR. I have the gun scoped with an 8" barrel including muzzle brake. I have a batch of my favorite load ready to go but I am thinking of changing that. My current load is the load I have used for 35 years, Winchester 296 and the 210 grain silhouette bullet. I have taken dozens of large animals with that load and in most cases one shot each. The silhouette bullet acts like a solid and my gut is telling me that might zip thru the big cat without doing a lot of internal damage.
I am thinking a jacketed soft point bullet that expands would be better on a thin skinned animal like a lion. I think I will load up half and half and see which one the PH recommends for the big cat. 15 trips to Africa and I have never waffled so much on which loads would be best. Even for Cape Buffalo in 2018 I went with the 500 grain Dangerous Game Expanding bullet from Hornady and it did fine. On my most recent Cape Buffalo back in April due to all my guns being stolen I used a 454 I borrowed from Michael Mendes that had a 300 grain soft point loaded up and it worked perfect for the big buffalo.
Anyway, waffle waffle waffle. I think any of them will do if I put the bullet in the right spot.

I know that feeling well. I just pulled

MTM
[subject]
Sunday, September 19, 2021, 14:59 (921 days ago) @ gary reeder

the Barnes 255 grain soft points from the 378GNR brass, and loaded my usual 260 grain Ballistic tips, and Accubonds. Shooting off a bog pod I can keep 1.5” at 100 yards. For whatever reason the soft flat points, that expanded well in my home made Bullet traps, just are not accurate enough. If I’m not satisfied under ideal conditions, I think I may be disappointed under adverse conditions. Plus when I FEEL confident with my load/gun combo, I believe I shoot better.
All that being said, we will all shoot fine and have successful hunts.

my problem, if you wish to call it that, is I am

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, September 19, 2021, 16:40 (921 days ago) @ MTM

starting all over with all new guns. After my favorite 3 guns were the guns that were stolen in Qatar in April I am starting all over with new guns and these guns are not at all like my others. My 378 GNR does not like the long pointed bullets like the Accubonds or the Hornady 255 grain spire point. 3 to 4" groups at 100. But it loves that little short stubby 220 grain soft point from Hornady so that is what I am feeding it. It will shoot silver dollar size groups at 100 all day. So no sense trying other bullets.

The 429 GNR does not like bullets over 300 at all. So I have it loaded up with 2 different bullets that I will shoot in the shop tomorrow and choose between them. They are the 250 original Barnes hollow point and the 240 grain Hornady XTP with a full case of AA#9. That is a change in itself. My old one loved nothing but 296.
The 3rd gun is one of my original 510 GNR revolvers. The gun is in theory new as it has a new 8" barrel on it. But like my other one it loves the 350 grain bullets and AA1680 powder.
So the 378 GNR and 510 GNR are both set. Just need to pick the bullet for my picky 429 GNR.
Waiting til the last minute is nothing new for me. When my shop was in Florida we went on a hunt somewhere in the country every 8 weeks year round. Most of the time it was to Tellico Junction in east Tennessee which was just like the Wilderness Lodge with exotic critters. We would take 2 large vans that held 6 hunters each up there and I would be reloading my ammo while Kase and Mike, my gunsmith, were loading up the van.
So this last minute stuff is just normal to me. I haven't even started any packing yet. Erik and Nick Stenberg and Blake Naugle are probably all packed and ready to go. They don't strike me as last minute sorta hunters. Calm, stable, laid back sorta guys. Ready to go a week early. Dontcha hate people like that? But I figure by about Midnight Tuesday night I will be ready to go. I don't need to leave to Phoenix until about 2 AM early Wednesday morning, so I am ready.
Shit, I forgot I have to have that Covid test done sometime tomorrow so I can have the paperwork before I head down the hill to Phoenix Tuesday night. If old Murphy keeps his nose out of things we should make it with a few minutes to spare. I know it will be a good hunt as I am wearing my house shoes on the plane again.

So what the hell are House shoes?

Blake
[subject]
Sunday, September 19, 2021, 18:08 (921 days ago) @ gary reeder

- No text -

yankees call them house slippers. We southern

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, September 19, 2021, 18:34 (921 days ago) @ Blake

boys call them house shoes. I will show them to you, if you are nice.

house shoes

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, September 19, 2021, 21:02 (921 days ago) @ gary reeder

[image]
[image]
[image]
except mine are black

I hear lonely deperate Women are attracted to-

Jeff Spencer
[subject]
Sunday, September 19, 2021, 23:05 (920 days ago) @ gary reeder

hot leather shoes.That is why i wear them also.

Good luck!

Ronnie P
[subject]
Sunday, September 19, 2021, 15:20 (921 days ago) @ gary reeder

- No text -

In college they told us on multiple choice tests

WB
[subject]
Sunday, September 19, 2021, 16:19 (921 days ago) @ gary reeder

To never change a selected answer unless we were double-dog-certain the new selection was correct. Because statistically your first decision was really-really high percentage wise to be the actual correct choice. FWIW

Even I passed.

Wish I could have gone with you guys. Would have loved to

Ronnie P
[subject]
Monday, September 20, 2021, 14:06 (920 days ago) @ gary reeder

Try the .410 GNR on a Lion. I was so tempted but with my wife in the hospital now I would have had to cancel at the last minute and lose that money. The Lord works in mysterious ways. You guys have fun and be safe first and then successful. Hope all your stuff makes it to the hunt Gary