had a friend call this morning with a problem.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 11:47 (953 days ago)

He and his buddy couldn't believe it when nobody was bidding on 2 rifles at the NRA dinner last weekend. One in 6.5 PRC and the other in 300 PRC. He was tickled shitless that they won both guns. Now he knows why nobody was bidding. There is no ammo to be had. He said he has called around to every gunshop within 150 miles of his house and he said not only did they not have any ammo but most had never heard of the calibers.
A wise man once said, "if the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is".
We had a lady in this morning looking for the 7mm SAUM (Short Action Ultra Mag). Same story. Nobody had any, including us, and her husband's hunt is coming up real soon.
Folks that bought all the WSMs, Ultra Mags, SAUMs, etc are crying the blues these days. They passed up on the 7mm Rem. Mag and the 300 Win. Mag so they could get that projected extra 50 FPS in one of the Ultra mags and now they are out of luck for ammo. And the 7mm Rem mag and 300 Win Mag are both readily available.
These shortages are hurting just about every shooter and hunter around. And the reloaders too. I have talked to most of the other guys going with me on the lion hunt next week and they have been doing what I have been doing, trying to find an accurate bullet with what is currently available. We thought 2020 was a rough year, 2021 looks to be even worse.

WHENIT COMES TO AMMO, GUNS OR PEOPLE

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 12:07 (953 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

YOU CAN STILL COUNT ON THE OLD CLASSICS

Well said JT

Grover Sr
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 12:10 (953 days ago) @ JT

Particularly here south of the Mason-Dixon Line, there’s nothing here they can’t handle!

THAT'S ONE OF THE REASONS

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 13:38 (953 days ago) @ Grover Sr

WHY SO MANY OF YOUR CREATIONS / CALIBERS MAKE SO MUCH SENSE
I LIKE TO FIDDLE WITH THE BEST OF THEM
BUT WHEN IT COMES TO RELOADING I DON'T WANNA SPEND THREE DAYS FORMING & ANNEALING & TRIMMING & MONKEYING WITH CASE HEAD SIZE & ON & ON
I WANNA LOAD SOME STUFF UP & GO SHOOT IT

we try to keep them simple, like the 41 GNR, 410 GNR 356 GNR

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 14:48 (953 days ago) @ BUCKWHEAT

and so on where you simply run the parent case thru the sizer die and you have the new cartridge formed. I will admit a couple of our custom cartridges require a bit more work but there are only a few like that. We shoot 600 to 700 rounds a week here in the shop test firing the guns we are working on so I have to reload every night of the week. That being the case I don't have the time to go thru a lot of case prep, annealing and so on. I have 8 Dillons on my reloading bench along with an RCBS turret press and a 4X4 RCBS press for loading the extra large cartridges so I just sit my butt down and crank out a couple hundred rounds in an hour or so.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Room

Okie
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 16:52 (953 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

That's an impressive reloading room!

we don't get home until 6:45 or so and by the time

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 17:13 (953 days ago) @ Okie

we get a bite to eat it is 7:30, after which I do the day's paperwork and such so it is often 9 PM by the time I get back to my reloading room. So I don't have the time to change dies to another caliber and do a test run and so on. All my Dillons are set up for the cartridges we shoot the most of. The turrets are set up for my necked down cartridges and the RCBS 4X4 is set up for the big stuff if I have any to load, like 470 Nitro Express, 450 KNR, and such. Either way it is seldom earlier than midnight before I get to bed.

Ammo

Okie
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 16:31 (953 days ago) @ BUCKWHEAT

I've learned over the years that even though I really love my old Weatherby rifles that there is very little or anything that can't be hunted and killed with a good shooting .270,'06, or .375 H&H. All new calibers are for is to sell more rifles and handguns, something new and different. I never bit into the short mag craze, same as all this 6.5 fad.

almost all our cartridges are handgun cartridges

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 17:15 (953 days ago) @ Okie

with a handful of rifle cartridges.

Our rack is full of 6.5C rifles!

Larryh
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 17:36 (953 days ago) @ Okie

I work a part time fun job at my LGS. Most of the rifles on the rack are 6.5 that don’t sell cuz of the ammo availability! I got a 6.5 several years ago at an NRA dinner and sold it in the box as I could foresee what was coming. ME, I’m old school and am stuck on the rounds that just won’t drop an animal! IE… .30-06, .270, .308, .300win, H&H etc…. My gosh, what am I gonna do?

Yep, since I am not gonna

Grover Sr
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 12:08 (953 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Jump on the exotic caliber band wagon I can say I have ammo for all my guns. Plus enough supplies to reload a few hundred more rounds in 44, 445, 45 LC, 356 GNR, 357, 308 and 41GNR. I pick up 10mm, 9 mm and 556 whenever I find a box. Stores here still have one box limits. Even so, I am not shooting as much as I’d like because of limited availability of all ammo.

Even 308 has been out of stock around here. I’m planning to buy a 45/70 since I have supplies for reloading that. I have seriously been considering getting into black powder but caps and powder are in very short supply around here.

Graff & Sons have black powder ..

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 12:46 (953 days ago) @ Grover Sr

as does Buffalo Arms and a couple other places I've called. There's a place in Virginia that has black powder and caps .. minimum order on caps is 2,500. Most black powder orders are a minimum of 4 or 5 pounds though some places have a 20 pound minimum.

MIDWAY NO MINIMUM

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 12:54 (953 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Thanks Jim

Grover Sr
[subject]
Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 14:11 (953 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Bulletcentral has both 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC brass in

jthomson