dragged in late last night from an "unusual" hunt

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 16:28 (1099 days ago)

the African hunt proved to be a good hunt, many things not withstanding. With a couple dropping out, we ended up with 8 hunters..
Erik Stenberg
Nick Stenberg
Ray Shepard
Danielle Shepard
Dave Manson
Michael Mendes
Stuart Marshall
and me.
With Delta not flying to South Africa this left a big void in which airlines we could go with. First it was Amsterdam and other changes which we declined, then it was Dallas to Qatar at the edge of Saudi Arabia, then to Joberg and then to Upington in South Africa and then a short drive (2 hours) to camp. This was uneventful for most except for a long timeframe of flying.
The one exception was Qatar where my guns and luggage were stolen, probably never to be seen again. So I ended up hunting in borrowed clothes with a couple of borrowed guns with borrowed ammo. I hunted 10 days or so in my houseshoes.
The rest of the crew had a great time and some really nice critters were taken. Here are some of the pics. First Nick Stenberg and his animals. Nick used his bow on one animal, his 300 H&H on the others.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
His Dad Erik Stenberg hunted with his custom handguns and also took some really nice animals..
[image]
[image]
[image]
Ray Shepard and his wife Danielle took 7 or 8 animals between the two of them using 2 rifles and had a great hunt. First Danielle's.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Then Ray Shepard's animals,
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
David Manson had a great hunt taking a big Cape Buffalo, an Ostrich, among a few others but I don't have any pics yet. Michael Mendes also took some really nice animals with his handguns, a custom Freedom Arms in 454 and a custom TC in 378 GNR. No pics yet.
Stuart Marshall also took some really nice animals with his rifles but no pics as yet on them.
I borrowed Michael's 454 Casull and took what John Abraham, our head honcho and my PH said would be the new #1 Cape Buffalo. My old one that lasted for a short time as #1 was 42" in width. This new one is 49" in width so if not #1 it will be pretty close. One shot put it down and the second shot finished it. I have pics but I don't have them downloaded yet. Just for kicks I shot a Golden Wildebeest. None have been taken with handguns so I borrowed Erik Stenbergs custom 338 GNR and took a really nice (but ugly) Golden Wildebeest. Again pics as soon as I get them downloaded.

RELIEVED YOU ARE HOME SAFE!

JT
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 16:33 (1099 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

thanks JT and JT

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 16:38 (1099 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

Beautiful animals all!!

Alcorn
[subject]
Saturday, April 17, 2021, 08:10 (1098 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Welcome Back!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 16:33 (1099 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I was sorry to read of your guns and clothing ... I prayed for you to have a good trip and make it safely ... guess I might ought to have mentioned your guns and stuff.

But you made do and did well it sounds.

Congratulations to all who went!

your buffalo

Chico
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 16:37 (1099 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Gary, have you scored your Cape Buffalo yet?

no, it has to go thru the 60 day "drying" out period.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 16:39 (1099 days ago) @ Chico

My buff from a couple of years ago was 42" tip to tip. This one is 49" so it should score good.

Glad you were successful and everyone made it back. Glad e

Andy S
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 17:43 (1099 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Looked like a great time for all.

Also relieved you and the team are home safe

GregG
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 16:49 (1099 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Sorry to hear about the theft. Using other peoples' gear is like going to the prom with your sister. You were cheated out of the total package, once again. However, if your buff is the new #1, that will take the sting out. I assume you're using a different taxidermy studio from last time. Plus the story in your memoirs will certainly be entertaining. Seriously, you should consider writing a book on your hunting exploits and approach Safari Press. Their library is bereft of handgun hunting books, so you would fill an under-developed niche. If you want someone to work with to help write your hunting saga, or better still the Reeder clan, count me in. I'd be honored to write it with you. Welcome Home, Bwana!

the taxidermy folks suffered from the same theft that I did

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 18:11 (1099 days ago) @ GregG

with my original Cape Buffalo horns and hide disappearing one night. But they did the right thing and paid for my second Cape Buffalo. So I really can't complain.

Erik. Your house is to short for a giraffe body mount

Bob Denning
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 17:37 (1099 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

WOW!!

Nice!

ChrisG
[subject]
Saturday, April 17, 2021, 03:40 (1099 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Home Safely

Charlie Herf
[subject]
Saturday, April 17, 2021, 05:19 (1099 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Gary
Glad you are home safely after the "unusual" experience and delighted you shot the buff you worked so hard to get. Welcome back and get some well deserved rest. Stay safe.
Charlie

Happy that you’ve all arrived home safely!!

Drdougrx
[subject]
Saturday, April 17, 2021, 05:47 (1099 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Awesome! Cant wait to hear all the stories.

Amede
[subject]
Saturday, April 17, 2021, 06:01 (1099 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -