I'm buying a replacement bullet oven...

WB
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 08:35 (1104 days ago)

My other one literally blew up, electrical short in the element. Scared the crap out of me. It arced for a good while before the breaker tripped. Way too long to suit me! Cheap Wal-mart stuff.

I have calibers the Lyman 450 lubesizer is a total peach to work with. This is not one of them. Also My "hard" lube ran out and I made a mistake to chase it with a "soft" mostly beeswax no heater lube. I get it set and it only sometimes squirts lube under the bullet concave base (too big checks on a .40). Then I get a partial blockage and GOO!

Last time I did 10mm with checks I painted the bullets Red and it helped all round. I could use the thinner checks I had in inventory and they fit OK and no gooey lube. I'm headed back that direction.

I decided to use the LEE die to pre-size and install the checks making the lube process on the Lyman easier. I was asking too much and getting off center shearing marring some bullets. This did remedy that problem.
[image]

My Calico mixed lube efforts, I should know better.
[image]

A nice squirt under the base where there is a small void.
[image]

A little more pressure on the plunger rachet, since the lube was not fully filling. BOOM! Yuck! The hard/soft lube mixing is the likely problem.
[image]

seen and done all that over the years

Lynn
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 13:43 (1103 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

I like traditional lubed bullets and it's fun when

WB
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 14:49 (1103 days ago) @ Lynn

all goes well. Alas, it seems I'm doing goofy things. I needed a .510" bullet sized and lubed. They dropped from the mould at 0.515". But the only sizer available stock from Lyman was a .512" that was exactly 0.002" too large.

So I attached checks and sized through the Lee .510" die then ran through the .512" Lyman and just lubed them. Extra work but got it done.

Normal bullets are fine. The .457, .45, .44, 38, .32 all run perfectly. .401 are fine too using the normal plain base 170 gr. SWC. But doing too much too fast, and with a concave base, things go sideways fast without enough finesse. I've been a little short on that lately, finesse.

If it would help

Randy Barnett
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 14:13 (1103 days ago) @ WB

You can size and install gas checks, then powder coat. It does require sizing again after coating, but I do it with several bullets.

I’ve wondered about that. Sure locks the checks!

WB
[subject]
Friday, April 16, 2021, 14:28 (1103 days ago) @ Randy Barnett

- No text -