Any news on the African travelers?

SPB
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 11:08 (1088 days ago)

- No text -

Alcorn and Doug got skunked, a no go.

WB
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 12:05 (1088 days ago) @ SPB

If I understand correctly it was due to complications with the COVID testing that is required to enter specifically South Africa and headed off while transferring to international flights. Doug made it from Huntsville to Nashville then Chicago where he had a big debacle. I hope Alcorn at least had all his issues in Memphis.

But they will try again next season.

I got turned around at Little Rock AR airport.

Alcorn
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 16:49 (1087 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Doug and Alcorn, next year WE go!

Larryh
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 18:11 (1087 days ago) @ Alcorn

As my 5 year old says everyday when I pick her up from daycare, “Dad, when covid is over I’m going to have a sleepover with my friends!”. Well, next year, when some other pandemic is invented, I’m HAVING A FIRST AND ONLY AFRICAN ADVENTURE! Waterboy, Doug, Alcorn let’s get Gary to go with us and show us how!?

Sounds good!

Df
[subject]
Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 11:44 (1087 days ago) @ Larryh

- No text -

OK, only it will be Colleen.

Alcorn
[subject]
Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 13:58 (1087 days ago) @ Df

- No text -

Dumb question,

Glenn
[subject]
Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 04:28 (1087 days ago) @ Alcorn

But if you paid for the hunt of a lifetime, have been planning this for a year, would you not make sure everything is in order? I understand these are difficult times and the requirements may change regularly but others you are hunting with have successfully accomplished it.

There are LOTS of moving parts.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 06:18 (1087 days ago) @ Glenn

Things are arranged several thousands of miles away, literally on the other side of the world. The single detail in this insane pandemic protocol held our guys 24-48 hrs. back, period. The others can't wait, time is money, lots of money. Planes, drivers, meals, rooms etc. are all scheduled. SO they did what was right, waived the others on and re-set their dreams.

I can't speak for my friends but that is my perspective. I sure hate it for them but it could happen to anyone. It was the South African Govt. detail on international flights that became the nail in the coffin. Doug has lived in Turkey, Korea, flown all over the globe for decades as an attorney for the DOD and Contractor. If it got him, it was a booger detail.

Hurts the pocket book a bit. Painful to hear

Glenn
[subject]
Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 09:44 (1087 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Well you are right. It’s a real screw up

Df
[subject]
Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 11:43 (1087 days ago) @ Glenn

and nobody’s fault but my own and nobody feels worse about it than me. Pile on!

Doug, I'm so sorry this happened to you and Alcorn

GregG
[subject]
Wednesday, April 07, 2021, 14:21 (1086 days ago) @ Df

I have been challenged at the airport and the feeling of helplessness, when you think you have done nothing worthy of their notice, is extremely disturbing and disorienting. To be at the mercy of dis-interested bureaucrats is infuriating. On a similar note, I did a lot of research on the shenanigans pulled in the developing world and was on the lookout for it at the SAP office in J-Burg. Those scamps would fill out their form that your carry into the bush with you while hunting and intentionally transpose two numbers on the serial number of your gun, then "catch" it when you try to leave and accuse you of smuggling. The scam was o get you to pay a hefty fine to make it go away and not suffer incarceration. Cheese dicks. And wouldn't you know it, I caught them transposing two numbers on my form and refused to leave the SAP office until they changed the form and initialed their change. Thank God I used a meet and greet service that advocated for me. I know how much you were looking forward to this and you must be devastated. My thoughts are with you. Try and shake it off, learn the lesson and focus on the future.