TO WB TRIPLE 7

JT
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 09:43 (1109 days ago)

The 5-1/2” Old Armies perform well with Speer’s .457” round ball, Thompson's Lubed Wad, and CCI’s #11 percussion cap. With 35.0 grains by volume of Triple-7 FFFg muzzle velocity is 925 fps with six shots in 1-3/8” at 20 yards. Moving up to 40.0 grains by volume of Triple-7 FFFg yields 1,130 fps and a group of 1-3/4”. These are serious loads! Just how potent are black powder loads? The standard .45 ACP Hardball load of a 230 grain bullet at 820 fps has long been regarded, and rightly so, as a highly dependable fight stopping load. This can be duplicated in a Ruger Old Army Percussion Pistol with a 220 grain conical bullet over 35 grains by volume of Pyrodex. The standard 140 grain round ball at 1,000 fps is an easy handling and powerful load.

I was doing some odd testing running a 270 gr.

WB
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 10:43 (1109 days ago) @ JT

"bullet" through the Ruger OA. The sights were hopeless with anything but round balls so I scoped it. I tried a 340 gr. .45-70 bullet cast in pure lead but after the second shot the recoil was "unloading" the cylinder for me. I had never figured about "bullet pull" on a cap and ball revolver, but it is obvious in retrospect. I got 750 fps with that 340 and a .44 Special case full of 777. I later found the .41 Magnum has almost the exact same internal capacity using it for a powder volumetric measure.

The 270 gr. and a case level full of 777 got me right at 900-950 fps and the bullets stayed put through six shots. That's what I used to shoot a small hog in TN. It sounded like plenty but the soft lead expands readily and penetration is NOT like a normal cast bullet. It had just enough energy to penetrate the hard shoulder gristle and get into the inner cavity where the organs are but not much more. I might even have been better served with the smaller roundballs at some 1200 fps! Even at the elevated velocity the recoil inertia is different and bullet pull was not an issue.

My assessment was that the cap and ball .45 was about at it's practical limit with small hogs or whitetail sized critters. At least as a primary arm. I later tested a Lyman .54 Plains single shot pistol and found it the full equal of a rifle with the round ball but using bullets the recoil quickly over powered any type of grip hold on the traditional stock. I actually cracked the walnut at the point where the small through screw holds the lock in place. So I glass bedded it and the entire lock and barrel channel. It sure didn't hurt things. In all cases accuracy was outstanding, besting many modern arms.

THESE SHOOT AS WELL AS MANY MODERN PISTOLS

JT
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 13:03 (1109 days ago) @ WB

I picked up an Euroarms made in Italy

WB
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 13:36 (1109 days ago) @ JT

it's a .44 1860 copy and while it's nice I think I'll trade it off since it's unfired and trade up to a Uberti copy. I should not be out that much money and I really think the Uberti guns are held to a much higher standard.

I also once had a 1848 Dragoon, the one with the folding rear sight leafs (2nd model?). It was a fine gun and had a notable power increase over the regular belt guns. But it was too heavy for me to carry around. You indeed needed a horse. I've always wanted a C&B with the shoulder stock accessory. For the gun's quality and enjoyment as a mechanical marvel C&B are really fun. As you pointed out they STILL WORK! Better than ever.

A 60 grain measre of Triple7

steve todd
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 14:48 (1109 days ago) @ WB

In a Walker replica, with a round ball, will really shoot at 100 yards. About 18 inches high, but you wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of that combo. I can’t remember the exact number, but it was over 1,200fps.

Measure

steve todd
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 15:14 (1109 days ago) @ steve todd

- No text -