Do y’all have fireflies where you live?

Brant
[subject]
Sunday, April 04, 2021, 20:18 (1089 days ago)

Just after dark my niece and her family were headed home to put the babies to bed. The little boy saw fireflies dancing in the still air and said with his sleepy voice. “Look...twinkle bugs!” That was a new one for me, but we have always called them lightnin bugs.

I find fireflies such a joy to watch! When I see them I always smile and think of God and all he has made. Soon the whipperwill wii be calling for their mate as well. They will be abundant here and I will spend many night on my porch listening to their song.

I spent 10 of my 47 years living in places where the lightnin bugs luminous dance could not be seen and the whipperwills song was never heard. I do not wish to live so far from Them again. I hope you can enjoy them where you are.

Yessir we do .. but it's a little early in the season yet.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, April 04, 2021, 20:25 (1089 days ago) @ Brant

- No text -

lightnin

Carl L
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 10:39 (1088 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

A bit early here in NC for lightnin bugs, Carpenter bees are out though

It's always nice to hear that first Whipoorwill

WB
[subject]
Sunday, April 04, 2021, 20:31 (1089 days ago) @ Brant

of the year or season. Summer is here for sure then. Pollen season is here this week, it's after that. Lightning bugs fill the pasture, thousands of them. They say you can tell rain is coming if they are low to the ground. Usually a true indicator. Tens of thousands of Dragonflies too. "Skeeter Hawks". We had great sport as kids shooting then on the fly down at the pond with daisy BB guns. When they hit the water GULP! A bream would have dinner. I'm still not above grabbing my old M95 Daisy, my favorite, and giving it a try even now. Ditto for big old wood boring bees too, at the shed or barn.

Good simple times.

My dog hates those wood borer bees

Brant
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 02:19 (1088 days ago) @ WB

They drive him crazy under our shed where his bed is. We laughed at him just yesterday jumping and snapping after them. They must not sting, as I don’t recall ever being stung by one and he catches and eats them regularly!

I still see them here. Not as many as years ago.

Tim Pence
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 05:45 (1088 days ago) @ Brant

- No text -

Wood Boring Bees,

Marco
[subject]
Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 16:08 (1087 days ago) @ Brant

We have a problem with these little heathens of hell! Research reveals they are not bees but actually an airborne wood borring beetle. I keep a tennis racket on the deck to swat the ever loving stuffing out of them.... Also, a Ruger Bearcat .22 with shot shells works pretty well too.....

Plenty of lightning bugs here, grandpa used to call

Derek
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 04:50 (1088 days ago) @ WB

Dragon flys " snake drs" lol.

BARTLESVILLE OK

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Sunday, April 04, 2021, 20:33 (1089 days ago) @ Brant

WE LIVED OUTSIDE OF SULPHUR LOUISIANA QUITE LITERALLY IN THE JUNGLE -- THERE WERE LOTS THERE BUT WE HAD MORE OF WHAT WE CALLED AMOS n ANDY BUGS - WHATEVER THEY WERE
MOM & DAD WERE FROM THE BARTLESVILLE AREA & EVERY SUMMER WE'D GET ON A TRAIN & RIDE UP THERE FOR A MONTH TO SEE THEIR PARENTS -- THERE WERE LITERALLY MILLIONS OF THEM THERE
YOU COULD WALK OUTSIDE AT NIGHT AND CATCH A COUPLE OF THEM WITH EACH HAND IN THE REAL THICK SPOTS
WE'VE GOT QUITE A FEW OUT HERE WHERE WE ARE NOW JUST OUTSIDE OF LOCUST GROVE

WE CALLED 'EM LIGHTNING BUGS TOO

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 04:46 (1088 days ago) @ BUCKWHEAT

AND WE HAVE THOSE DANG CARPENTER BEES TOO
THEY'VE MADE SWISS CHEESE OUT OF SEVERAL BOARDS
ON AN OLD LEAN TOO NEXT TO OUR BIG SHED
DOGS SNAP AT THEM ALL THE TIME

AND YEAH

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 11:42 (1087 days ago) @ BUCKWHEAT

THEY WONT BE COMING OUT FOR ANOTHER COUPLE OF WEEKS OR SO - MAYBE A MONTH

I've seen fireflies once in my life. In the 60's we visited

RonE
[subject]
Sunday, April 04, 2021, 20:34 (1089 days ago) @ Brant

relatives in Broken Arrow, OK one summer.

AS A KID IN OHIO WE

JT
[subject]
Sunday, April 04, 2021, 21:27 (1088 days ago) @ Brant

OFTEN CAUGHT FIREFLIES AFTER DARK IN THE SUMMER.

Some in Kansas, but not like when I was a kid.

SPB
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 05:18 (1088 days ago) @ Brant

- No text -

Thick in Illinois, but not til late May or so.

ChrisG
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 11:42 (1088 days ago) @ Brant

- No text -