454 Casull

Michael Croxton
[subject]
Sunday, April 04, 2021, 18:53 (1114 days ago)

What revolver was Dick Casull using to develop the 454? Did the 454 arrive before Freedom Arms?

I think a re-tempered Colt SAA with special cyl.?!

WB
[subject]
Sunday, April 04, 2021, 19:10 (1114 days ago) @ Michael Croxton

- No text -

HE STARTED WITH A COLT SA;

JT
[subject]
Sunday, April 04, 2021, 21:40 (1114 days ago) @ Michael Croxton

THE BUILT SPECIAL CYLINDERS, AND THEN A FULLY CUSTOM HAND-MADE GUN. THE .454 CARTRIDGE WAS BORN SO IT COULD NOT FIT IN A .45 COLT. AT LEAST THEORITICAALY. ONE MANUFACTURER DROPPED THEIR.454 AS THEY FOUND A S&W .45 WOULD ACCEPT IT. ALL OF HIS EXPERIMENTS WERE CARRIED OUT WITH .45 BRASS INCLUDING THE CUSTOM .454s BUILT ON SUPER BLACKHAWKS THE FIRST REVOLVERS CAME FROM NAA CHAMBERED IN .450 EXPRESS. YOU NEED A COPY "THE BOOK OF THE .45"

Didn't he experiment with duplex and tri-plex

WB
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 07:20 (1114 days ago) @ JT

powder charges. That makes my head swim, just thinking of it. A starter of a few grains of bullseye, then some W296, followed by a cap of 3031?! Something goofy like that!!!

I have seen some guys of late using BP/smokless loads to bump up the cast heeled bullets in the little .32 Martinis getting more accuracy from them. They claim to onto something and can back up performance claims. I'm not sure I'm ready for that. lol

We do not speak of such things in public.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 07:00 (1113 days ago) @ WB

We only talk of them in small, dimly-lit places, usually with a glass of spirit to work on.

Our personal experiences with such things are spoken in hushed tones.

Polite company shuns such things.

454 Casull

Clint H
[subject]
Monday, April 05, 2021, 17:32 (1114 days ago) @ Michael Croxton

Dick Casull and Jack fullmer developed the 454 Casull and they made their own five shot cylinders on colt single action he had a shop in uptown Salt Lake where he was selling them back in the 70s. They were having a lot of trouble with the base pins backing out and the screws loosening up and yes he used a tri Plex load you can see Dicks triplex loads in PO Ackleys book that he produced on cartridges back in the 60s. I almost
bought a 454 casull in 1978 from Dick when he had a little shop that he called The great Salt Lake trading company. Didn’t have enough money at the time he was wanting around $600.00 for one and you could buy a colt trooper for $289.00 so I bought the colt trooper. Wish I could’ve bought the 454.