I had a strange thing a while back. A late model Leupold

WB
[subject]
Friday, March 05, 2021, 08:44 (1147 days ago)

scope, really too much scope for the gun, but I need it for precision at distance. It's on my .416 Rigby BRNO 602. The BRNO has integral scope bases on the receiver and I am using CZ rings that worked fine on other scopes. I ran out of scope adjustments still needing 16" elevation at 100 yds.!

It's been a while I've had issues like this, lastly with a 10/22 Ruger. They seem to have chronic issues like this. I made some brass shims for the front ring base, to see if I could slide the few thousandths spacers under the mount and it still clamp as designed. (I actually made them from flattened 7mm-08 case walls on a split casing) The spacers should allow for that much movement and more. The tongue in cheek base number is 0.001" = 1 MOA, but I don' think that is in stone. There are many more mathematical factors involved. I've got about 20-22 thou of shimming with two pieces I'll custom fit. I know all the fretting of torquing the tube, lapping the rings and such.

I'm still going to investigate to see if anything else may be factoring in the lack of scope adjustment in elevation. Swapping scopes again would also be another option.

[image]

If you need more elevation why would you shim the front

Blake
[subject]
Friday, March 05, 2021, 10:43 (1147 days ago) @ WB

Rings up? Wouldn’t you need to raise the rear of the scope? The long range guys have their scopes mounted so the point Down at the barrel!

Yeah I may have it ass backward, 50/50 shot! Lol

WB
[subject]
Friday, March 05, 2021, 13:28 (1147 days ago) @ Blake

- No text -

Blake is correct

JD
[subject]
Friday, March 05, 2021, 16:55 (1147 days ago) @ Blake

If you need to raise the point of impact, you need to shim the back of the scope...

I appreciate you boys keeping me straight

WB
[subject]
Friday, March 05, 2021, 19:56 (1147 days ago) @ JD

it can get confusing to me. You are in effect moving the gun, not the sight. The sight is what you are looking through at a stationary object. It's the gun's muzzle that needs to rise so it's a rear shim to do the trick to raise impact.

I hope to either find something amiss causing the issue or find I can raise impact enough to require some clicks down to have to spare.