Lead Thrower

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Thursday, March 04, 2021, 07:00 (1149 days ago)

All the talk about cap n ball pistols .. decided I would show my CCW gun ... .31 caliber Baby Dragoon. It belonged to Twyla's Dad and when he passed I ended up with it. Fun little popper.

[image]

[image]

Yes! a perfect packin pistol.

Sid R
[subject]
Thursday, March 04, 2021, 07:09 (1149 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

I had a CVA (San Marco) 5” 1849

WB
[subject]
Thursday, March 04, 2021, 07:35 (1149 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

It was cute and what a blast! I think my little spout throws 15 grs.? I used buckshot pulled from a 3” 12 ga. hull. Terrible leading and no accuracy. Buckshot is not pure lead, hardened! But close up it shot. Very handy size. Ballistics listed in the book are anemic but it sure seems more powerful!

I don't know anyone who wants to get shot with one ..

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Thursday, March 04, 2021, 07:38 (1149 days ago) @ WB

my little sister had occasion once to ear the hammer back on hers and poke it in a guy's stomach. She said he went pale white and backed up real fast.

It's interesting reading of the penetration of the little RB

WB
[subject]
Thursday, March 04, 2021, 09:26 (1149 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I had a 1858 Remington ball bounce back and hit me in the ankle so hard I thought it went clean through. I had shot the fork of a Black-jack Oak at 15 yds. It did not penetrate it. The tree or me, thankfully.

I make these archery targets for target pointed arrows. You make a 2x4 "box" with legs and overlay big truck inner-tubes, loose, not tight, strung across with a bit of overlap. Front and back side too. With a target point (not cutting broad-head) it will stop about any arrow and you can pull it free with only two fingers. The holes basically self heal.

I shot this target at 30 yds. with my 2nd. model Colt Dragoon and a full 40 gr. charge of Pyrodex and 138 gr. RB. Six times. A couple weeks later moving the bow target three round balls rolled out the bottom. They were caught between the two layers of floppy inner-tube! I also was told a story (by a terrible stretcher of the truth) how he and his brother got into mischief. Granny had some sheets out on the clothesline in the breeze. They were taking turns shooting the sheets with .22 shorts from a single shot rifle and it was making long gray streaks on the sheets from the lead skidding and being directed at the ground. He said they got a good skinning for that. Not sure if it was true, just enough plausibility to make me wonder.

Get some of your sheets and give it a try!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Thursday, March 04, 2021, 09:48 (1149 days ago) @ WB

Report back here.
Photos please.

Lol, I’ve considered the physics over time

WB
[subject]
Thursday, March 04, 2021, 10:10 (1149 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

The varied controls; angle, distance, breeze, humidity of the sheets, thread count, the load used w/bullet and velocity. I’m not so sure he wasn’t pulling my leg. Good story though.

For Doug: a Truman Skinner story!

WB
[subject]
Thursday, March 04, 2021, 10:11 (1149 days ago) @ WB

- No text -