I do all my radio ads for the gun shop and

gary reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 21:18 (1151 days ago)

went in the local radio station to record 4 or 5 new ones today. I went in the production room, sat down in front of the control board and my mind went blank. Normally I just ad lib a few spots blasting Pelosi, Schumer and their ilk and talk about the guns, ammo and accessories in stock. Today, nothing came. Almost 25 years in radio and my mind went totally blank for the first time I can remember. I couldn't tell the listeners that we have a lot of guns and plenty of ammo and so on. Because we don't. Folks tell us we have more ammo and guns than any of the other shops in town but whether that is true or not I have no idea. Still how do you do several 60 second spots to promote the gun shop when I have nothing to brag about.

Gun shops all across the country are really having a bad time of it. Several I have talked to say they have nothing over $20 to sell and no hope of anything in the near future. Several salesmen at the distributors have been fired for selling all their allocated guns and ammo to one big shop and getting some cash under the table when they are supposed to spread the guns and ammo around to all their clients. Those guys on the internet with cases and cases of ammo are the ones I am talking about. And most are selling the stuff at considerably over retail, sometimes 500% over retail. Unlike most other businesses the gun business is eat up with this type scum bag. When you see those ads you know those guys took that ammo or guns from a gun shop that needed them to survive.

One of the dealer magazines said if this doesn't ease up by the end of the year a goodly percentage of the gun shops will just be a faint memory.

I think knowing how hard gun shops are trying to survive just makes those belligerent idiots that cause trouble wanting to buy all the ammo a shop has in stock look like real assholes. They don't seem to realize that if we don't make it thru the next few months we are history.

Thank the Lord we have our custom guns and all 6 of my guys are still here so good Lord willing we will make it thru this mess but I fear many gun shops that don't have a range or any special thing to set it apart from the other shops will be gone.

On my ads I just focused them on our custom work and on fixing the customer's gun and getting their guns ready for varmint season and fall hunting season and tried to stay far away from the negative stuff. As I usually do I mentioned that we buy good used guns and ammo too. Maybe that will get a gun or two in the door.

by the way, thanks to the Misfits that sent in guns or ammo

gary reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 21:27 (1151 days ago) @ gary reeder

to go toward credit on custom work on their guns. I appreciate that.

Yesterday, my LGS had on 454 Casull ammo...

Huey
[subject]
Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 05:54 (1151 days ago) @ gary reeder

In stock in the handgun department. Lots of 9mm handguns, but no ammo to go with them.

Not much more in the rifle and shotgun ammo section.

I don't believe any rimfire ammo at all...

I keep wondering if there is an angle you can use

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 07:49 (1151 days ago) @ Huey

Perhaps get the word out you will buy unwanted ammunition or firearms. There has to be lots of little old widow ladies in AZ that have some guns and ammo from there late husbands in the closet. Reloading equipment too! There are tons of old equipment put up where guys stopped reloading and have old components put back in the garage.

I wonder if there will be a backlash where folks will begin to sell guns cheap since they can't get ammo for them? .22, 9mm, .380 etc. Gun nuts are hoarders by nature and would still buy when the ammo is dry, looking to the future with hope. I do know one shop that is not selling ammo unless it is with a gun you buy from them, then only one box!

Is there an untapped market you can exploit? I see some BP substitutes still available, not sure about caps. It's cheap fun and slower going if you have the stuff. 20 shots with a muzzle loader is a good afternoon.

I'm glad you have diversity that others do not. The custom business can be geared toward more refinement and cosmetic items. Projects that do not require manufacturer parts, stuff you make or just labor, should be a boon. Bluing, polishing, tapping holes, engraving, all money makers. Our prayers are with you always during this bumpy ride. Not too much we can do about it so might as well see it as an adventure to overcome.

just like I told Charles above, I did 6 spots and covered

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 10:15 (1151 days ago) @ WB

every bit of what you just said in at least 2 or 3 of them. I have been doing these spots for years so folks know that we buy guns and ammo and will trade custom work for guns and ammo. Just like on here. I have taken several batches of ammo in to use as credit on custom work. EriK Stenberg, Dan Kirkwood, Larry Keefer, James Harrison and a few others have sent in ammo that don't have guns for and traded them toward custom work credit.

Huey what brand and grains was the 454 also

Charles
[subject]
Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 07:56 (1151 days ago) @ gary reeder

Gary that is good thinking. Not trying to overload you and the guys, and would never tell you how to run your business. A great ad would be,,, Now is the time to send in guns for repairs,,, or even consider suggesting to public now is the time to consider trading guns in for custom work.
We all know about it but does the public? Just a thought. Just like you Gun notes,,,, maybe in a 60 second spot letting everyone know you are doing everything you can,,, to keep prices low. Just some WAG or 2 to encourage.

one of my ads is almost word for word what you just said.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 10:11 (1151 days ago) @ Charles

And thanks.

I'm good on ammo myself. Did find some this morning..

Huey
[subject]
Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:50 (1151 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

For a friend. Box of 200 Federal 9mm and 150 Winchester 223 Remington. Extremely reasonable prices too.

It's still showing up, just not common on shelves.

Lots of bulk boxes these days. I find that unusual...