I’ve a need to load some .380 ACP.

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 12:39 (1157 days ago)

Was able to get 500 brass for $40. Got primers and powder. Bullets, I guess I’ll just use 9mm. I think I have some 121/124 gr. Lyman manual has some data. The little teeny gun is a locked breach gun but I certainly will stick to the manual’s data. Small things break easy. Listed velocity shows 750-950 fps from fastest to just fast powders. The .380 looks to be about 1/3 less powder for the same bullet compared to the .38 S&W. I can see it with its greater capacity.

BUT

JT
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 13:23 (1157 days ago) @ WB

I NEED TWEEZERS TO HOLD ONTO THE CASES

ACTUALLY

JT
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 13:25 (1157 days ago) @ JT

I AM LOADING 38 SHORT COLT NOW--NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE

.32 ACP is as small as I've done.

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 14:49 (1156 days ago) @ JT

The only difference in it and the .32 S&W is the shell holder.

I ended up with a .32 Colt or some RF .320 (actually .311) Old West Mould. Know anyone that might want to do some mould trading? It's smaller than a 90 gr., maybe 70-80 gr. and a 0.285" heel shank I think, best I can measure. Brass and three cavity, almost new.

[image]

Doesn't look like brass... ¿?

backroadsrambler
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 14:57 (1156 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Just patina and bad light, it’s brass all right.

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 16:28 (1156 days ago) @ backroadsrambler

Think it says “MAXI BALL” ? I have a .32 Squirrel rifle. But the shank sure looks like a heel bullet. Black powder is fast enough it bumps up The bullets quickly. Think that shank is for ease of loading in a muzzleloader?!

[image]

Didn't figure you'd get it wrong but had to ask!

backroadsrambler
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 16:32 (1156 days ago) @ WB

Thanks for the reply and pix to boot! =o)

I have some extra 90gr Gold dots if you need some.

Sean Harper
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 14:09 (1157 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Thanks kindly Sean. You know I kind of have adopetd

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 15:09 (1156 days ago) @ Sean Harper

Gary's line of thinking on Semi-autos. FMJ Ball or Hard Cast. They are not cannons, and with the exception of the 10mm lack velocity to reliably expand a JHP. Oh I know those pictures of ballistic Gel are impressive but I have little occasion to assault ballistic Gel.

I hope to focus on reliable function and perhaps find a bullet with a little bit of meplat that still feeds well. Kind of my same perspective on a good hog bullet. The .380 may perform well from a 4" Beretta etc. but my 2.5" Kahr and the expensive Hornady rubber plug JHP only flattens the nose and the penetration direction is not always what I was thinking. A good 124 gr. cast at 800 fps will do fine for me if it feeds reliably. Still not sure about recoil. I know but my experience with the Scadinum S&W and 158 gr. at 800 was a painful one. This Kahr is only 10 oz.! It stings with the 90 gr. XTP at 900 fps.

Also due to expense I have not been able to shoot it all that much, I'd like to.

WB projectiles

Mike horn
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 15:32 (1156 days ago) @ WB

WB....when I stumble onto the peanut butter jar of hornady projectiles I have.. I will get your address so I can send them. I dont own a 380 any longer

Mike

Thanks for the thought Mike. Not a huge .380 fan but

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 15:37 (1156 days ago) @ Mike horn

their have their place. I mean it's the size of a .25 ACP of back when. I know lots of guys have those Rugers. Sold like hotcakes.

You can hardly buy any ammo right now but brass is around. I don't have a dedicated .380 weight mould but the manual says any 9mm will work fine. I'm curious as to the internal range of depth in the case. 9mm shuts you down pretty quick. I load 158 gr. fine in 9mm but it sticks out the front some. I have a 147 gr. mould that has a bit of a boattail on the bullet and I know why! lol

I have a Lee 6 cavity .356- 95 grain mold

steve todd
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 18:28 (1156 days ago) @ WB

It’s a flat tip. I’ve used it for .380 and 9mm. You can borrow it for awhile if you want. Send your address again, i’m not sure i still have it.

Thanks Steve, hang onto that thought

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 06:51 (1156 days ago) @ steve todd

I want to see what the 124 gr. does in .380. If it shoots fine hey it's golden. NOBODY around here has any .380 ammo so if I can make up (10) boxes to go around I'm golden. My co-worker's wife has a Glock .380 but only a few cartridges. I'm going to fix them up.

Besides ammo, the whole small pistol primer thing is really a pain. I have a little stash but it's not much pleasure to burn ammo for the heck of it. It's really crimped our sport.

Thanks for the offer and I'll give you a holler if the 124 gr. peter's out. Look for future posts.

hang on to those primers. You won't be able to replace

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:00 (1156 days ago) @ WB

them for a good while. Our primer/powder distributor told us last week that all the primers have been pulled off the market by the ammo manufacturers for loading ammo for the military and law enforcement. He said not to expect any more for maybe a year. I know it is good to help folks but your family should come first.