Using Small Pistol Magnum and Small Rifle primers in 9mm

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, February 21, 2021, 07:17 (1131 days ago)

I have been doing this stuff for years and knew this. But it is interesting to have a company come out and show the data. Of course WB and a few others here would know this also.

I like that these guys are not charging pandemic prices ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGVRGsoOr6k&feature=youtu.be

Any port in a storm. Except sometimes you have to have Mag.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, February 21, 2021, 08:09 (1131 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

primers. So if they are not available you must switch bullet/powders to suit the components you do have at your disposal.

Some guys that load ONLY from a manual with no understanding other than strict adherence to printed reference are dead in the water. Who printed that data anyway?! Engineers or lawyers? Both?

You could give me a 55 gal. drum of unlabeled stuff and call it gunpowder, I can find a use for it somewhere.

One of the trickiest powders I've worked with was a triple base IMR7383. Most powders are single or double base. It had some element that inhibited "flash" for special military applications. It was too bulky for smaller cases and great with medium. But given more capacity you had to really watch out. The difference in good and too much was hairline in certain applications. As you worked up loads when it burned clean (until them there were lots of unburned granules) then STOP! That was about the edge with your toes hanging over. I had a bunch of it and still do. Made some very accurate loads in it with my 6mm.

I borrowed this to post. One note

WB
[subject]
Sunday, February 21, 2021, 08:41 (1131 days ago) @ WB

for using Lg. Pistol in Lg. Rifle applications. I have done it many, many times. The pocket depth to SAAMI is a bit deeper for Lg. Rifle spec. You may not fully seat the Lg. Pistol to bottom in the pocket. You run the risk of negating some firing pin inertia if it has to drive that pistol primer home a few thousandths to bottom before firing it. In my case the typically dirty pocket stops the pistol primer fine for my firing, I've never had an issue of light strikes or too short a firing pin to bust the cap. Usually the application is a rifle or strong hammer single shot handgun.

Just FYI.

[image]

As I've said before,, my Dad made a reamer for the pockets

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, February 21, 2021, 08:47 (1131 days ago) @ WB

so I could use Large Rifle primers in the .45 Colt. I discovered that some guns with a transfer bar would not reliably fire the Large Rifle primers.

Using Large Pistol primers in some rifle loads actually increased velocity and accuracy over Large Rifle primers in the small tests I have done.

I'd like to do some reaming myself

WB
[subject]
Sunday, February 21, 2021, 11:39 (1131 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Try LR primers in say 9mm and maybe 5.56. Keeping the touchhole the same size, just changing the pocket size. Did you ever find enough .357's, Atomic, brass with large pockets to test?

No. I still have a couple factory WRA that are Large Primer

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, February 21, 2021, 12:03 (1131 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Can anyone confirm this?

WB
[subject]
Sunday, February 21, 2021, 13:58 (1131 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

357 Atomic

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, February 21, 2021, 15:30 (1131 days ago) @ WB

another seldom seen. 454 Casull, with large primer

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, February 21, 2021, 16:19 (1131 days ago) @ gary reeder

You know generally 10mm is LP and .40 is SP

WB
[subject]
Sunday, February 21, 2021, 16:48 (1131 days ago) @ gary reeder

- No text -

I remember those

AlanT
[subject]
Sunday, February 21, 2021, 17:28 (1131 days ago) @ gary reeder

After Freedom Arms changed the specs to a small primer, they sold a stainless steel bushing to convert the large primer pockets to small.

these are not those. These have the full large

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 22, 2021, 11:51 (1130 days ago) @ AlanT

primer pocket. They were made by North American Arms.