so I'm getting a Mauser

paul lauer
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 15:54 (1167 days ago)

A friend of mine is selling me a 98 Mauser that seems to be in good condition except the barrel may be slightly pitted in the bore. My three options would as follows.

If it isn't too bad keep it and shoot it.

Sell it and use the money to put toward something like A new Henry X model in .357

Salvage the action and turn it into a custom sporter or a scout rifle. Caliber to be determined.

I would love to have opinions and thoughts from you all.

hope you enjoy headaches.

gary reeder
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 17:08 (1167 days ago) @ paul lauer

- No text -

Do a 338 Federal conversion, a great cartridge!!!!1

bigboar
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 17:22 (1167 days ago) @ paul lauer

- No text -

nah, forget that. With all the ammo shortages (the ammo

gary reeder
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 20:31 (1167 days ago) @ bigboar

manufacturers are more than 1 BILLION rounds behind) the odd calibers will be the last ones they load. With so many standard calibers way behind they might not even load the 338 Federal for years.

FIRST THING--SHOOT IT

JT
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 17:29 (1167 days ago) @ paul lauer

- No text -

That plus who made it. Some manufacturers actions...

Huey
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 17:53 (1167 days ago) @ JT

Are certainly worth whatever money it takes to build a fine custom. Some, I'm not even really crazy about shooting in the original chambering.

Smartest thing, sell for a profit.

WB
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 18:07 (1167 days ago) @ paul lauer

I’ve built up a dozen custom Mausers. Each costing 2x even 3x what I could have bought a new rifle for. I was driven by some misdirected passion for the old M98 large ring. I still have two, a .30-06 on a 1908 DWM Brazilian and a VZ Czech 1944 done up in .244 Ackley. The .416 Rigby is a even larger version but still a BRNO design Mauser.

Shoot it for fun, then SELL it! It’s more profitable and less painful. Lol

Have Fun With It

steve todd
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 19:31 (1167 days ago) @ paul lauer

You can make your dream rifle with as long or short of a barrel, that is heavy or light. The journey and its fun and frustrations is what it’s about. Sure it will cost more than a “off the shelf” rifle, yours can be just the way you want it. Mostly you get handgunners on this forum, me included, but a custom rifle would be fun for rifle guys.
My $.02

I have one that was sporterized

Grover Sr
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 20:29 (1167 days ago) @ paul lauer

To .308, light composite stock, tapered barrel that I think is a FN. Very pleased with it.

if you do decide to go ahead with this, first have your head

gary reeder
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 20:59 (1167 days ago) @ paul lauer

examined, If you are considered somewhat normal, pick out a good custom rifle maker. If it looks like crap, which a lot of garage built guns tend to do, you will never get rid of it.
Next, choose a cartridge that will hopefully be available in a year or so. Nothing exotic.
Next make sure that caliber is one that the poor schmuck you sell it to will be able to get. Nothing like an 8.7 Kropochnik or the 415 Wham Bam Thankee Maam.
When you pawn the "thing" off on a person that is a friend (at least until he realizes what he just bought) you will want to be able to furnish him with a couple of boxes of ammo to show him what a good friend you are and hopefully help to sell this white elephant.
So there you go, the proven way to get rid of something you wished you never saw in the first place.

getting a mauser

joepjs
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 21:29 (1167 days ago) @ paul lauer

short rule of thumb, write down what your friend asks for it. Next write down what you think it will cost to get it to where you want it. Add the two figures, and double it. If that is more than a new rifle, and you do not have disposable funds available, reconsider the whole thing and consider yourself lucky. Try not to throw good money after bad.