1911 lubricant question

John W
[subject]
Thursday, January 14, 2021, 17:21 (1169 days ago)

Hello All:

I was wondering what is the best lubricant for a 1911 autoloader?

I love my Ruger SR 1911 in 10 mm but it seems to be a touch finicky at times when it comes to reliability. From what I understand they need to have contact points well lubed.

So. What would be your pick? Thank you.

Mobil 1 syn motor oil works very well ! (overkill)

azj
[subject]
Thursday, January 14, 2021, 17:46 (1169 days ago) @ John W

- No text -

any kind of oil is the worse thing you can put on any gun

gary reeder
[subject]
Thursday, January 14, 2021, 22:05 (1169 days ago) @ azj

it attracts dust, grit and sand that is in the air and turns into a grinding compound that ruins the gun's internals plus as cold weather hits the oil turns hard and locks up your gun to where it won't fire or even function. A very light grease like RIG Universal or Birchwood Casey's SNO are both all you ever need on any gun.

Thanks Gary.

azj
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 04:10 (1169 days ago) @ gary reeder

- No text -

for sure keep all oil totally away from it

gary reeder
[subject]
Thursday, January 14, 2021, 19:56 (1169 days ago) @ John W

use a good light grease, like RIG's Universal Lube. Put a tiny bit on a toothpick under the slide on the rails and work the slide back and forth a few times. Then wipe any excess that oozes out of the rear of the slide.

On rare occasion I use some modern lubes

WB
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 07:50 (1169 days ago) @ gary reeder

to dilute grime and clean off built up carbon and debris, scratch around with a toothpick of Q-tip (what those hair things) then literally try to wipe it all off.

With modern moly and Teflon lubes that is literally impossible. You are going to leave a residual. That minute amount is my lubrication. I'm not telling anyone to do that but it works for me.

It is crazy how many times I've cleaned a semi-auto gun and made it malfunction! Is it just me?

For Lube Geeks...

~JM~
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 08:54 (1169 days ago) @ John W

Lot of info available here: https://www.cherrybalmz.com

Check out the educate yourself & history links.

Thanks ~JM~

azj
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 09:17 (1169 days ago) @ ~JM~

- No text -

Lube

Mike horn
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 09:21 (1169 days ago) @ John W

I use dry silicone or teflon

I am not telling anyone to do this .. just what I do ..

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, January 15, 2021, 09:38 (1169 days ago) @ John W

I shoot my 1911 until it gets gummy. However long that takes. Then I clean it with rubbing alcohol or something that will take the 'gum' off. Then I lightly oil the slide rails. After that I wipe it off. I run my 1911 dry .. as dry as I can get it by wiping any lube out of it. You don't get it all, as has been said. The little amount left works.

I like my 1911 to be loose enough that it works in dust and dirt and sand and if bloody or wet with water. It's not a target gun.

The Ruger SR1911 in 10mm

John W
[subject]
Saturday, January 16, 2021, 05:01 (1168 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

seems to have some tight tolerances. The design does not have a bushing. The barrel is flared and locks against the slide.

So I do believe it is a tad fussier than an old 1911 used in service.