WB was talking about wasting some primers

gary reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 10:11 (1198 days ago)

down below. Thru the years in estate sales I have gathered up some primers that I am not sure I want to try out in other than test firing situations. Most are corrosive plus are probably 60 plus years old. The Winchester primers come in a little wooden box with wooden partitions between the rows of primers. The Frankford Arsenal primers are in a military box of 250 primers and are marked for "cartridge Cal. 30". Not sure if the Frankford Arsenal sold primers way back then or they were a military overrun. Most of these boxes have never been opened and I have probably 40 or so of them. Someday they may come in handy.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

I was just given a bunch of old and new primers..

Huey
[subject]
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 10:46 (1198 days ago) @ gary reeder

Separated them and my existing stock to use all the old ones first. I only use them for testing and practice. But, so far 100% sure fire.

I remember that Lee Jurras once

Ray
[subject]
Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 14:31 (1197 days ago) @ gary reeder

posted that there's no way to deactivate primers, at least not permanently. I thought that was interesting.

I believe it. We have folks bring guns in all the time with

gary reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 18:42 (1197 days ago) @ Ray

live rounds stuck in the chamber. We first try to deactivate the round by slowly pushing a rod down the barrel pushing the bullet back into the case. If you hit the rod which hits the powder it can detonate the powder, which we found out badly on another gun. Just like when we were kids and stomped caps and they fired. Powder does the same thing when hit with enough pressure.

After pushing the bullet down into the case, opening up the neck, we then fill the barrel with oil and let it sit for a day or two. Then we try to lightly tap it out from the front. On one occasion after all this, we pointed the gun at our test barrel and pulled the trigger. The gun fired, or at least the primer fired although the powder just fizzled and smoked. But after 2 days soaking on oil the primer still fired. After it quit smoking we were able to tap the case out with a brass rod from the front.