Sold-out 410 Shotshells

azj
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 12:29 (1200 days ago)

... was thinking they are paired with the many "Judge" and "Governor" revolvers which are also sold out.

Old men love those things! I found them lackluster

WB
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 13:21 (1200 days ago) @ azj

The 6” Taurus did really well with .45 Colts though. Huge gun! I kind of like that Governor that shoots .45 Colt and ACP, no need for crazy Casull. Not in that platform.

A guy shot a goat at HHC. Five times with that Winchester disc defense ammo! Had to borrow a .308 to finish it off. I’d not bet my life on it. More of a novelty. Fun though.

for a while Taurus was putting a note in with the gun

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 14:51 (1200 days ago) @ WB

saying don't use it for self defense. Don't know if they still do or not. And the people buying them are in the 25 year old range, not us old guys. We know better.

Whoops, must be a Southern phenomena.

WB
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 15:11 (1200 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

For a long time they were the talk of the Coffee Shops. Supposedly the ultimate snake gun. I pattered some and found the shot density on paper is awful. Usually less than 100 pellets even with smaller shot. You could throw a chicken through the pattern unscathed at 10 yds. How would that do for a big Cottonmouth farther than 20 ft.?

It sounds good but in practice my testing was not all that hot. My .510 GNR custom shotshells walked all over them with it's own 1/2 oz. payload, to reasonable snake distances. It was a fun idea, the .410 revolver, that does not perform as well as one would hope. With .45 Colt loads it does passable but is no target gun.

My .410/.45 Contender barrel with the "spin stopping choke" actually does work to about 30 yds.! I shot dove with it, and a very unlucky squirrel or two. The big Red Fox squirrels took more than one shot! They are tough, twice the size of our little Grays.

With your eyes you can’t even see

Df
[subject]
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 07:02 (1199 days ago) @ WB

A cottonmouth at 20 feet unless he’s in the driveway! I’m thankful to see a snake a double hoe handle distance. I do remember you potting a a rattler that almost got Roman at about four feet with a full magazine of 45 acp.....although my memory is foggy....he was really dead after that

It was a .40 S&W 4013. Good gun

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 07:16 (1199 days ago) @ Df

I traded it for a Browning Auto 5 Magnum then later sold it for $750. I did OK. That snake was a pile of coils, couldn't tell which end was which, so I just started in the middle. LOL I don't like killing Rattlers but I can't have them in my yard at night.

The kids sure have grown up haven't they.

[image]

Whoa look at Roman!

Derek
[subject]
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 11:40 (1199 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

who is that on the left? Doug Faith?

gary reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 14:29 (1199 days ago) @ Derek

- No text -

Hayden’s 26 and an Army captain now

Df
[subject]
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 16:56 (1198 days ago) @ gary reeder

- No text -

I find the 85 gr. .410 slug a bit whimpy

Waterboy
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 15:03 (1200 days ago) @ WB

even if it is running around 1500 fps. It's not anywhere near .41 caliber either. A loose pea, in a pea shooter.

For a goof I cut through a 3" Remington #7-1/2 loaded round about 1/4" in front of the rather tall brass. Just through the plastic hull, not the wadding. It was ahead of the powder and under beginning of the wad and shot column. By golly it hit right on point of aim at 33 yds. and hit on end too, making a round hole. The entire 3/4 front of the loaded cartridge acted as it's own projectile until it smashed into the target at some 1300+ fps. It turned it into a heck of a nasty round. Something to remember in a pinch if you only have a box of .410 skeet loads to defend yourself with!

The old trick of "Cutting Shells" to hunt larger game works with .410 shotshells too. I tested it to be so!

“Ringing” shotshells is what it was called where i grew up

steve todd
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 15:52 (1199 days ago) @ Waterboy

But i’m an old guy that never wanted one of those Taurus or S&W shotshell

at our shop in Florida old guys would come in and

gary reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 10:15 (1199 days ago) @ steve todd

tell us about "ringing" shotshells when they were out of slugs. Shotgun slugs or buckshot were the only legal way to hunt deer up in the north east back in the 40s and 50s. maybe still are.