read the empty on the loadings and

Charles
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:56 (1198 days ago)

to add to what Mr. Taffin said besides the lower pressures of the cartridges
on my 3rd Gen Colt it has a screw to hold the loading gate as does my Uberti. I have loosened just a little and added a slight amount of fingernail polish so the screw does not move. This made it easier to open. The Rugers use the flat spring. No proof or diss proof here, on if the gate hole gets wallered out.
heck I even load only 5 on my New Models cause of habit and used to Colts Old Models, FAs Ubertis But I hunt mostly.
I can see the theory plus screw VS flat spring. But,,, if I am doing range work I fill the cylinder. so I don’t worry.

No one ever says anything about the safety notch

WB
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 22:27 (1197 days ago) @ Charles

The first click on Colts, Italians, and OM Rugers. That's what it was for. The actual notch is very robust and the hammer can't travel far from there. Of course it would take one heck of a jolt to break it free, that could fire anything anyway.

I think it derived from the old Cap & Ball days where you had notches or teats between cylinders holding both the hammer and cylinder in check away from the ready caps to fire. I much preferred the deep notches, a wonderful idea.

The very best hammer safety I ever saw was the Freedom Arms M97. Genius. But the old Colts (and like) handled carefully (never sweeping a living thing) with the cylinder full and a safety notch hammer catch will do. There is a cottage industry welding up the "middle" notch on Colts. Not sure why it lets go. I guess from abuse of full cock to there. Maybe Hollywood Fanning? I dunno.

Heck yeah I do that !!!! Just didn’t get off into the

Charles
[subject]
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 16:26 (1197 days ago) @ WB

safeties much, I never have my Colt hammer resting on any primer when carrying it. Not that it hurt one bit,,, Just old habit.
What you said about the middle notch letting go. Not sure why and have wondered about people who cock them so darn fast and hard.
I you are going to fast draw,,,,setup a designated tool for that.