G2 vs Pro Hunter

charles
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:00 (1173 days ago)

Can someone please tell me the difference ? Which is better?

No such thing as "Better"....

Huey
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:04 (1173 days ago) @ charles

They are simply different sizes. The G2 is a Contender, the ProHunter is an Encore.

I've always preferred the G2/Contender sized guns. The Encore in pistol configuration is a boat anchor. I do like it in rifle configuration.

Thanks Huey still got

Charles
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:08 (1173 days ago) @ Huey

my G2 and shoot the 22hornet often. I like the G2 frame so will stay with it.

The G2 or "2nd Generation" Contender

WB
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:13 (1173 days ago) @ Huey

is about 1.5 lbs. lighter than the Encore "ProHunter". I think the "Pro Hunter" denotes a two piece hammer that can be made to swivel to the side to better clear scope mounting. The hammer end and screw are two more pieces I didn't need myself. But it's better than hanging a 1 oz. hunk of metal off the hammer for a off-set spur that effects hammer weight.

The G2 chassis is limited as to the rifle cartridges it can manage. The Encore chassis, of any style, is "closer*" to a modern bolt rifle in capacity. There are some limitations as to bolt thrust with kookie shot magnum rounds that should never be chambered in this platform.

It is a bit like apples and oranges. Pick-up or School Bus.

Thanx WB I shoot the

Charles
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:37 (1173 days ago) @ WB

G2 offhand 90% of the time with a 10” barrel and I mounted my 30-30 barrel on it and could do the same. Not that I want to make a habit of always doing that but if need be fine. But I don’t need extra weight, kookie triggers, and if I have a pistol heavy enough to require nonhuman support then I might as well grab a rifle. lol Good information.

I have both and both are good.

WB
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:44 (1173 days ago) @ Charles

The G2 hunting handgun all suited up with scope and all weighs less than 5 lbs. The Encore done the same 6 lbs. But it sure holds steady and shooting things like a .416 or .476 GNR the weight is truly welcome!

A little trick; The Encore buttstocks will fit the G2 but leave a small 1/8" or less gap on each side of the frame/stock interface. If you keep things tight that is not a problem. The bottom bolt, back of action, seats up real nice.

I’m staying with a pistol configuration

Charles
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:58 (1173 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

I do for most of mine too. Two exceptions

WB
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 13:27 (1172 days ago) @ Charles

The 7mm-O8 barrel for my kids to use hunting and a couple big bore Reeder’s are 14”+2” brake. I got a Choate M4 sliding stock and was delighted it fits the G2 also!

The older contender is totally different in width and bolt angle.

Slightly more recoil with a G2 but

MTM
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 11:20 (1173 days ago) @ charles

It is much nicer weight wise and balance, fo me. I could shoot the 310GNR and 378GNR very well in an Encore pro hunter, both as pistols. My problem is I shoot one handed, the Encores were too nose heavy to swing comfortably fir me. After playing with Gary’s 378G2 at the HHC, I went home, sold off my encores and ordered them in Contender configuration. Now I can walk around my yard, from all angles and practice in 6” steel from 60-150 yards, either off hand, or bracing my shoulder against a tree. If you can hold one of each first.[image]

100 yards leaning against the carport. 378GNR
01/10/2021

to me the G-2 is the best frame TC ever made and

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, January 11, 2021, 11:41 (1173 days ago) @ charles

when S&W bought them out the first thing the company did was drop the G-2. Finally good sense prevailed and they brought it back. The G-2 has the weight of the old Contender but nearly the strength of the Encore. The encore is super strong and best for the hot stuff. The encore is for the 454s, 475s 500s 510s etc., plus the big magnum rifle cartridges.

My gun battery for Africa in a couple of months (good Lord willing) will be the 450 GNR that I took my big Cape Buffalo with 2 years ago, plus the 416 GNR as a "just in case" pistol, both in the Encore plus the 310 GNR in the G-2 for the long shots at plains game.