Has anyone ever snipped the point from a 30cal

Drdougrx
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 14:29 (1214 days ago)

bullet and used them ?safely? in a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Found a few boxes of 165gr partitions and was thinking these might make a good 30-30 hunting bullet.

Not in a 94. Used to do it in a model 71 in 450 Alaskan

Blake
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 15:39 (1214 days ago) @ Drdougrx

With 400gr Trophy Bound spire points. Works fine

Thanks Blake!

Drdougrx
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 15:43 (1214 days ago) @ Blake

- No text -

Related, sort of...

WB
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 17:02 (1214 days ago) @ Drdougrx

A good while back the only 7.62x39 ammo was FMJ. That is illegal for deer hunting around here. I made a few "legal" rounds for a guy that needed them. We only filed the tips of FMJ until some lead core was exposed. This "qualified" as non-FMJ and met the legal criteria. Performance wise we figured they were about the same as FMJ's. They shot fine, no accuracy changes at all. The work was performed on loaded military ammo.

Years ago Robert Smythe-friend of myself and John Taffin

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 18:33 (1214 days ago) @ WB

wrote an article about his early days in Cuba and then in Colorado. He wrote about using FMJ military loads for hunting.

In his article titled "A GLIMPSE INTO THE PAST" he talked abut hunting in Cuba with a .30-06 and FMJ military ammunition. In one place he said, "I also shot several deer with the .30-06 and the same full-jacketed bullets. Not the best for game shooting, admittedly, but they seemed to get the job done satisfactorily. Since then I have paid little attention when someone would "chant" about the evils of using full-jacketed bullets on game animals. I used them with good effect then (and other times later), and if nothing better was available, would use them again. However, my experience over the years has taught me how to alter these full-jacketed bullets into first-class hunting bullets, so if time permitted, I would now so alter such bullets before I used them on big game."

Later on he wrote:
"I was able to get a Model 1895 Winchester in .30-06 caliber. Learning that Dave had some surplus military .30-06 ammo at a bargain price, I bought 500 rounds of it for some experiments I wanted to make in altering the jacketed bullets for use on game.

Later, I altered the bullets by filing with a thin file, (a jeweler’s hacksaw is better), 3 notches in the nose of the bullet jacket. I made these notches 3/16" back from the point at right angles to the bullet and just short of connecting with each other and just through the jacket at the center of the notch, leaving a little of the jacket solid between the ends of the notches. After testing some 25 loads at the bench rest. I found that they shot as accurately as before and they fed through the magazine good. I shot quite a few coyotes with this altered bullet and found they gave prompt execution. Also using this bullet in the same Model ’95 Win., I shot my first, real good Mule Deer head. All in all, it was a good combination of rifle and load."

The complete article can be found here:
http://leverguns.com/articles/robert_smythe.htm

That’s great! Intriguing reading. I’ve always been curious

WB
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 19:41 (1214 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

About the 1895, having seen so many in the black and white Safari and expedition photos. But I also remember reading of some mechanical failure with the Roosevelt Safari. Perhaps Kermit’s gun? Many times they cite the 1895 as simply a .30 cal. or .30 Govt. Not as helpful as one might think, is it the early .30-03 Govt., .30-40 Krag, or .30-06? If it’s pre 1903 the mystery is solved. I figure one in .30-40 would fare pretty well if they feed good with the rim.

I HAVE A KRAG AND AN 1895

JT
[subject]
Tuesday, December 01, 2020, 08:53 (1213 days ago) @ WB

IN .30-40. NO PROBLEM WITH THE LARGE RIMS.

Thanks Jim! I guess I’m really wondering if I can use these

Drdougrx
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 20:34 (1214 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

in the tubular magazine in the 94.

THANKS JIM. BROUGHT BACK

JT
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 22:23 (1214 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

A LOT OF GOOD MEMORIES ABOUT ROBERT.

thanks jim

carl hackney
[subject]
Monday, November 30, 2020, 10:52 (1214 days ago) @ JT

i book marked the page then i made the mistake of reading the first paragraph and was hooked. so i sat and drank coffee and read the whole article. great story and lots of great info especially the bit on the 401mag .

PRINTING OFF THIS OLDER ARTICLE

JT
[subject]
Monday, November 30, 2020, 08:26 (1214 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

BY ROBERT WILL PROVIDE SOME FASCINATING READING.

It is .. I read it again yesterday ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, November 30, 2020, 08:46 (1214 days ago) @ JT

He was the real deal. A great friend. And an amazing Shootist in his own right.

Snip the tip

Titus
[subject]
Tuesday, December 01, 2020, 06:24 (1213 days ago) @ Drdougrx

All the time, I’ve even seen where guys put the bullet in a lathe and turn it to perfection. Did it in my dads 307 Winchester back in the early 90’s, do it in my 30 Gnr (not a Winnie) , I do it with no reservation. A flat nose is a flat nose, but not all flat nosed bullets are created equal. The jackets may be a little thicker and may not get the best mushroom on penetration, past 100 yards. 30 cal is 30 cal, in a bind make whatever work you can.