A good illustration why Southerners cock a brow

WB
[subject]
Saturday, November 28, 2020, 20:24 (1256 days ago)

when their Western cousins talk about 400 yd. shots. Now in the delta you can shoot a mile, but this is thick growed up central AR "hunting" land. I have 107 acres of this morass. I've not been back in here for some time (long story) but went today to begin planning on opening up some driving trails. We had to use loppers and a chainsaw to get the Gator through some spots but now we can kind of get around.

I saw so many scrapes on little pine trees, and I was not looking for them. I took a moment to photo one fresh track, likely last night.
[image]

There is a tree ladder stand maybe 15', just left of center in photo. I was tangled up in saw briars and into the sun. This is the "cleared" lane I will be bushhogging soon.
[image]

Open clearing with a elevated black feeder and metal stand if you can make it out.
[image]

Looking across my west fence line I see my neighbor has a good lane picked out, and a nice box stand.
[image]

This is one of the fancy boxes my passed step-dad's brother is trying to claim. Have fun getting it out. This is along the road, on the south fence, 75 yds. behind the old 1910 railroad trestle.
[image]

This is down on the creek, one of my favorite old haunts. My granddad taught me to trap Coon with little victory traps with tin foil around the trip. Positioned in the shallows set to drown him when curiosity got to him.
[image]

[image]

I love visiting and hunting that kind of country .. BUT ..

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, November 28, 2020, 21:57 (1256 days ago) @ WB

I always feel hemmed in. Can't see very far.

The ranch I grew up on ...
[image]

It's mostly gone now. The barn, the well and the blacksmith shop are all that's left of the original place.

From the tractor shed .. the tin shed .. across the coulee (the ravine) is 200 yards. My Dad had his pistol range there with some steel plow discs in the bank of the coulee.

We could shoot a half mile or better with ease there. I grew up thinking everyone knew you could shoot 400 yards with an old 45 Colt. Or a .22 Single Shot rifle. I did it as a kid. In the loose ground you can see .22 bullet strikes a half mile away.

Growing up in open country, I find forests fascinating .. and the thick brush in Arkansas and Missouri was interesting and I learned to hunt it .. but my favorite country is the open west.

I prefer the open spaces as well.

JSM
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 06:37 (1256 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I was born and raised in western KS. You could watch your dog run away for 2 weeks. We hunted prairie dogs with 22 LR, I made a few great shots with a single shot rifle that had a matchbook cover acting as an elevator for the rear sight,

I'm intrigued by the open places, just different.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 06:51 (1256 days ago) @ JSM

Trying to stalk something 50 yds. is different than half a mile. I've always wanted to hunt Antelope and shoot prairie dogs. I've always had a hankering to get an old Conteder like Steve Herrett used on his Antelope and get me one too. But now a GNR caliber would do fine.

I once sold a motorcycle to a fellow from Wyoming. He drove almost 24 hrs. here to pick it up. (1995 Ducati SS900SP - #743) I put him up for the night then we rode bikes into town and ate breakfast on the Court Square. Afterward we went for a ride in the hills. Sometimes he would fall way back behind and I'd have to slow for him to catch up. At a stop later he confided he didn't feel comfortable as he could not see what was over the hill or around the corner. Totally foreign to him! He was used to endless flatland and wide sweeping corners. I had never given it any thought. I just blaze on with a finger on the trigger, always.

The only successful bow hunter

JSM
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 07:29 (1256 days ago) @ WB

that hunted in western KS that I know was a guy that rode his horse. The deer weren't spooked by a horse since there were lots around. When the bow hunter got within his range he'd quietly dismount to the opposite side and shoot his bow under the neck of his horse.

Years ago in Arizona I rode my horse close to deer.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 08:35 (1256 days ago) @ JSM

Killed some while sitting in the saddle. Easy handgun shot .. measured in feet. Closest was probably 20 feet or a bit more.

Scotty. That North Carolina brush I

james
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 13:39 (1255 days ago) @ JSM

recently hunted is the thickest I ever walked....

C’mon out, Scotty! Plenty of both critters here.

Flatwater
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 09:44 (1255 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Dan, you give me a date when your're not crossing country in

jthomson
[subject]
Monday, November 30, 2020, 18:01 (1254 days ago) @ Flatwater

The big rig, and I'll bring out a couple of my 220 swifts and a case of ammo, and we will load Ian and Brady up and go thin the herd a bit

My wife is from Eastern MT

Bob Denning
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 18:51 (1255 days ago) @ WB

Also known as a “flatlander “. The flatlanders feel claustrophobic in wooded terrain. Give me a call if you want to go prairie dog hunting. It’s just like you read about. I shoot until my thumb bleeds from loading magazines and my trigger finger bleeds from shooting. About a brick a day.

Good looking area Scotty. Looks like Nc lol

Derek
[subject]
Sunday, November 29, 2020, 05:52 (1256 days ago) @ WB

- No text -