Relaxing in the shop ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, November 28, 2020, 09:01 (1244 days ago)

casting bullets ... sizing and lubing them. Yesterday I cast some Lyman 160 gr. FP .38/.357 bullets and started sizing and lubing them today. Not sure how many I cast but they pretty well fill up a box that had 1000 148 gr. WC's. Figure I got around 800.

[image]

[image]

I find casting, sizing, lubricating bullets to be relaxing. Not everyone does and I understand that. I ain't in a hurry. I learned many years ago that taking your time helped make good ammo. And eventually it all gets done. Sorta like sorting a 5 gallon bucket of 9 em ems. Just take your time, remember pleasant hunts, enjoy the journey. The end comes all to soon, so make the most of it.

I used to fight my lubesizer, goo everywhere

WB
[subject]
Saturday, November 28, 2020, 09:16 (1244 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I have the heater on mine as I experimented with “high velocity” harder rifle lubes. I was beating my head against a post. A more neutral lube to do it all worked just as well and was less troublesome. Also you don’t have to keep ratcheting that lube chamber. I find letting it work itself is much better. Depending on the bullet, one might do 4-5 projectiles before you need to click the plunger a time or three to regain lube chamber pressure and restore full flow. Also kissing the iron frame with a little torch heats it up ant it retains heat a long time. FWIW

What’s fun is leaving the heater plugged up and chamber pressured (as in a sudden distraction) and returning a couple hours later! Yuck!

I have used nothing but Paco's Apache Blue lube

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, November 28, 2020, 09:57 (1244 days ago) @ WB

since back in the 1980's. Works well at all temperatures .. good for rifle bullets up around 2300 fps. Doesn't run in hot weather.

He made me a HUGE can of it many years ago and I still have at least 1/4 of that left. Probably last well after I am gone.