Gary I have read both your books and am on here a couple of

Another James
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 20:29 (1217 days ago)

times a day. I know you are a handgunner but in all the things I have read I don't remember you ever mentioning a favorite rifle. Is there such a thing?

Having hunted Canada a few times I have

gary reeder
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 22:17 (1217 days ago) @ Another James

had to use a rifle. On a caribou hunt up on the Arctic Circle I used my favorite rifle cartridge, the 45-70 in a custom Ruger #1 on 1 Caribou and a drilling 16 gauge, 22 Magnum and 9.3 by 74.I shot my second caribou with the 9.3 X 74, shot an Arctic fox with the 22 Magnum and a Ptarmigan with the 16 gauge barrel.
On a bear hunt in western Canada I used a 32 WCF caliber Winchester 94 on the hunt.
This was our guide
[image]

This is one of my caribou, taken with my custom 45-70 Ruger #1. I got the second one the next day but no pics as it was freezing rain with spitting snow, so no camera on the second caribou. On the first one I used the Hornady 350 grain soft nose. Hit him angling toward me, in front of the left shoulder, exited at the right rear.
[image]
we flew in on a float plane and stayed in tents.
[image]
there were 6 of us and we were very neat as most hunters are.
[image]
[image]
we cooked our own meals, brought in freeze dried food and ate caribou steak, cooked in our modern kitchen.
[image]

nice and clear the first couple of days and then it started snowing.
[image]
[image]
[image]
we had to cut the hunt a day short as the snow got heavier, but it was no big deal as all 6 of us had taken our 2 caribou each.
[image]
[image]
[image]

On the bear hunt in NW Canada I used a Winchester model 94 in 32 WCF.
[image]
[image]

My favorite rifle is the Coyote Classic

steve todd
[subject]
Saturday, November 28, 2020, 07:15 (1217 days ago) @ gary reeder

Made the longest rabbit kills with it. One was 217 yards according to the rangefinder. Another jackrabbit was further, but i didn’t check it with the rangefinder. Obviously i’m no Elmer Kieth, but that “rifle” is pretty sweet. Not as sweet as Gary’s guide, and not allowed in Canada, but sweet.
Wish i knew how to link or import pictures with this ipad, but i don’t, and it wouldn’t beat Gary’s guide photo anyway

Gary's Ride

joepjs
[subject]
Saturday, November 28, 2020, 14:53 (1216 days ago) @ steve todd

I love the DH Beaver, flew several while in the service. Always wanted to fly a float Beaver! Where did you fly out of in the states?

we were all in Florida at the time and flew

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, November 28, 2020, 15:22 (1216 days ago) @ joepjs

to Montreal and then to Schefferville and took the float plane from Schefferville to the little spit of land, sorta like a small island where the caribou migration route went thru.
In Montreal we took an old DC3 (I think it was) and took a few small hops to a couple of small airports where folks hitched a ride to the next little town. People were hanging around the small podunk airports and hitched a ride on our plane to the next little town. There was no ticket taker or any regulated flight office or anything. The folks that wanted to hitch a ride just stuck around the little airfield sitting outside on old chairs or whatever was there to sit on and when the plane taxied in to refuel they just got on board. I never saw any money being exchanged or anything normal like that.

Our guide wasn't quite as attractive.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, November 28, 2020, 07:42 (1217 days ago) @ gary reeder

THERE IS "BARE" AND THERE IS "BEAR"

JT
[subject]
Saturday, November 28, 2020, 08:52 (1217 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

yeah, I asked for a bear guide and I guess they

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, November 28, 2020, 11:38 (1217 days ago) @ JT

misunderstood me....not that I complained.

An acceptable miscommunication for sure...

Huey
[subject]
Saturday, November 28, 2020, 12:17 (1217 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -