The Beretta 96

WB
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 08:40 (1247 days ago)

I have one and really like it. It's almost new and low round count. I know the military rags out old M92's and had some crack slides and such. No telling what abuse they endured before doing that. However the .40 S&W is lots rougher on a gun than a 9mm Luger. The M96 is not much more than a M92 with a different barrel and mag. It shoots fantastic but you can tell it's hotter. It flings the brass a long ways into the woods!

I see Beretta has restyled the platform and particularly in .40 S&W reinforced the sides of the frame at the precise point they have reported cracked slides! I'm thinking this is a good time to bail out on this one for top trade dollar value and parley onto something else. Maybe towards a fun lever gun.

The slide reinforcement sort of validates the high stress point. Any thoughts?

[image]

My 96FS is a standard one, not reinforced as in the photo.

WB
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 08:41 (1247 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Beretta 92s are like mini14s. I buy them and sell them

Drdougrx
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 09:48 (1246 days ago) @ WB

Over and over. I’ve had at least 6 of each. The current one I have was made in 2001. Bought used and shot little. I’ll keep it I think. My problem with the 92 is that I feel they are overbuilt size wise for the cartridge. Though...it is accurate and reliable...never a bobble. Will probably get a 92 compact at some point I suspect. I’d sell off one of yours, keep the other and get that levergun!!

I've seen several that were cracked.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 10:09 (1246 days ago) @ WB

A friend brought one to me that he was thinking of buying. The slide was cracked around the left side all the way from top to bottom. The right side was holding it together.

I always figured most European pistols were not built to be shot much.

I'd follow your instincts, sell it now for top dollar and

JPL
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 10:29 (1246 days ago) @ WB

pick up that lever gun.

Well I do have more than one...

WB
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 14:05 (1246 days ago) @ JPL

Beretta, as well as lever guns. My favorite lever gun is my cherished 1894SS Reeder custom Marlin in .429 GNR. 16” complete with laminated furniture and topped with XS ghost ring combo sights. It’s the beginning and end for anything from fun Trail Boss plinking to H110 full bore bolts of lightning.

We have a couple Rossi 92s (.357 and .45 Colt) and a few M94 Winny’s in .30-30 and .375. Sold a couple big bore Marlins just before the price doubled.

I want a 1873 Winchester to play with. It’s so mechanical and pleasing. You can see how it works in large by shooting it. Golly are they all so expensive! Italian replicas are almost as high as originals. I also have been eyeballing 1886 Winchester’s (originals) in .33 Winchester cal. No one much wants them as ammo is a roll your own proposition. I have brass, dies, moulds all ready set. But they are big heavy working purposeful guns, not easily toted very far or intended for casual plinking. It originally was made for big Mule deer or Elk!

Looking is half the fun.

Do you have a Savage 99 in your arsenal?

JPL
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 17:53 (1246 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

I had a fantastic one. .30/30 TD carbine

WB
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 18:58 (1246 days ago) @ JPL

It was not exactly pristine so GNR reworked it into a unique custom. I let it slip by. It’s out there somewhere!

My childhood friend has a .250 we grew up shooting too!

I grew up with a TD 22 High Power, many woodchucks

JPL
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 20:37 (1246 days ago) @ WB

met their end with that rifle. It was handed down to me by my father, I still have it, I actually had a 20" Contender barrel made in the same chambering back in 85 to experiment with.

WB, how about a Browning #53 in

Sal
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 10:30 (1246 days ago) @ WB

32/20. I have one if your interested

That’s a pistol grip style M92 w/half mag. ?

WB
[subject]
Friday, November 27, 2020, 10:50 (1246 days ago) @ Sal

- No text -