Those buying the S&W model 10 frames and a

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, October 19, 2020, 17:59 (1290 days ago)

)barrel, don't be discouraged if things don't just go together easily. We have 2 or 3 of them in here right now that didn't fit, period. One is an early Military & Police (before it became the model 10). It is one of the guns that had a large barrel shank (the part that has the threads). It was put together but nothing quite worked. Everything rubs together and nothing fits. We can fix it but it won't be as cheap a snubbie as he expected.
[image]
[image]

Another is another parts gun the fellow bought in pieces. It doesn't go together at all. The barrel was for a later gun and won't match up with the frame. The crane is rubbing everything and the cylinder rubs hard against the rear of the barrel. The cylinder was for a snubbie whereas the frame was for another gun. So, it too will need some TLC. The gist of this is nothing these days is free. In most cases if you buy a frame and a barrel separate be expecting to have some work done on it. This one has WSS, Quincy IL stamped on the barrel, whatever that is.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

S&W Model 10 Parts Gun

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, October 19, 2020, 18:15 (1290 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I bought one of those Model 10's without a barrel. It was originally a 2" gun but I wanted a 4" so I ordered a 4" heavy barrel. I finally got it together today ..

[image]
BEFORE I STARTED

[image]
Cylinder (with long extractor rod installed), barrel and frame.

[image]
Barrel installed and aligned

[image]
Cylinder face was slightly rubbing the barrel. I removed a little at a time until a .006" feeler gauge will slip in between.

[image]
Back together. Everything seems to work OK. I fired a shot in shop, catching the bullet in a pile of rags. It appears to line up OK from the looks of the bullet.
[image]

Next will be Range time to see if it is accurate at all.

I have some prophylactic grips I am gonna install. If the gun turns out to shoot pretty well, I may have to have Gary do his magic on the finish.

The gun is marked JP and is a CAI import from someplace out of the country. I was told "JP" is Malaysia .. "Jabatan Polis" and means "Police Department" in Malaysian according to Google Translate.

The lockwork is tight .. it has no end-shake. It's just been uglified by hard use. I doubt it was ever shot much.

I meant to add "Sometimes you get lucky" ... though

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, October 19, 2020, 18:25 (1290 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

you can't count on it. Thankfully we have friends like Gary who can fix our screw-ups.

WSS Quincey IL used to be a Williams Shooters Supply there.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, October 19, 2020, 19:44 (1290 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -