Mushrooms

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 09:39 (1310 days ago)

Many of the fungi known as toadstools are actually mushrooms. There are many old wives tales about how to tell a wild mushroom from a poisonous one. These should be avoided. Perhaps you have noticed how few old wives are around these days. The only surefire test for wild mushrooms is simply to eat one. If you are still alive the next day, that was probably an edible mushroom. If absolutely nothing happens the next day, you are probably dead. Mushrooms producing this result are probably toadstools.

Patrick McManus in "The Horse in my Garage and other Stories"

I Like Mushrooms...

~JM~
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 09:56 (1310 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Wish I knew which ones were safe to eat. The variety that grew in my yard in the PNW was astounding. One variety had a cap that was somewhat funnel shaped. It grew so fast & large, that the cap contained the dirt that was once the ground surface. Some were over 6+" across the cap. Then were the tiny white ones that were less than 1/2". They grew together like a carpet. Never witnessed any creatures eating them.

Wild pigs, slugs and flies eat mushrooms ....

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 10:03 (1310 days ago) @ ~JM~

- No text -

a smart person buys his at the store.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 11:42 (1310 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

I BUY MINE UNDER A STEAK AT TEXAS ROAD HOUSE

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 12:46 (1310 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

AMEN

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 13:03 (1310 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

I only eat steak from my grill,

Sid R
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 13:30 (1310 days ago) @ JT

from a to young to slaughter steer I raised. Cut with a fork. Some day I will have an aging cooler lined with mesquite wood and salt.

Some say the same about reloading ammo

Reese
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 13:12 (1310 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

whoever said that knows nothing about reloading

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 13:32 (1310 days ago) @ Reese

A little common sense and paying attention to your equipment and your reloading manual is all that is necessary. I have been reloading for almost 50 years and have had no problem at all and I am sure there are some on here that have been loading even longer.

I'd never turn my back on a none handloader...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 14:36 (1310 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Or pick my own mushrooms...

Been reloading off and on since 1970

Grover Sr
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 15:25 (1310 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Had one round that apparently missed getting a charge of powder right after I first started. It was a 357 round, the primer pushed the bu!let into the barrel and I had to use a cleaning rod to push it out. I was glad it was no powder and not an accidental double charge. Changed my process for droppjng charges and have kept to it.

Agreed. Education + common sense = safety

Reese
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 15:43 (1310 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I have a Dr friend that doesn't trust Campbell's soup.

Winn
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 15:40 (1310 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

My mother often told the story of my grandfather

Darryl T.
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 12:40 (1310 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

He considered himself to be an expert on wild mushrooms. He would pick mushrooms when working the fields and bring them home declaring them safe. Grandma would cook them and all would eat their share. Grandpa would save his till last and always be too full to eat them. He would wait until the next day and eat his. My mother said they suspected that he was waiting for no one to be sick before he ate. He made it to 96 years old.

Patrick McManus

Ray
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 15:48 (1310 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I used to buy or subscribe to Field & Stream in the 70s and his article was usually the first one I'd read. I enjoyed his characters like Rancid Crabtree(I think I broke mah face pulling that dang slangshot), his dog Strange and His neighbor Finley who provided all the outdoor equipment mostly by accident. His stories could make me laugh out loud.

Oh yeah. Wrong books to read late at night in bed.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 16:17 (1310 days ago) @ Ray

Kept the wife awake with my laughing.

Here’s one that you should not eat.

John W
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 16:17 (1310 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

It’s part of the animita group. You will die. [image]

Wild mushrooms are no joke....

Marco
[subject]
Friday, September 18, 2020, 16:17 (1308 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

My first two wives died of wild mushroom poisoning. The first one, Helga, was a gem. Married her while stationed in Germany. We went out one evening, picked some mushrooms to go with our Shnitzel. All seemed well until she fell ill and died the next day. The base doctor said it was due to poison mushrooms. My second wife, Shirley, was a real number. She also died because of wild mushroom , she died of a gunshot wound when she wouldn't eat her damn mushrooms.... My third wife, Renee has been a princess; ever since I told her about my first two wives, she won't even touch mushrooms!