Odd ball , crazy question...

John W
[subject]
Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 18:41 (1311 days ago)

OK. Maybe I had too much mushroom coffee but I had a thought.

What would be the best way to hunt mountain lion without dogs?

Just a thought. I have heard of calling but wondering how effective it really is.

Thank you.

I've had the same question

TM
[subject]
Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 19:23 (1311 days ago) @ John W

in my mind for some time, I'm anxious to see the replies.

Lion calling

Sunny
[subject]
Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 19:58 (1311 days ago) @ TM

Did not do it on purpose, I was calling for coyotes on a ranch that was loaded with wild pigs, I had 2 come to a piglet squeal of course here they are "endangered" and got a free pass, yep you guessed it

I had a smart ass retort but after I wrote it

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 19:32 (1311 days ago) @ John W

I laughed out loud. Then I figured that was enough, and erased it. Lol

I have never called up a mountain lion

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 19:35 (1311 days ago) @ John W

but I know of people who have. It was usually at night.

I have called up coyotes, foxes, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, dogs, Javelina and one Javelina Hunter. No mountain lions though.

Largely useless reply

Greg M.
[subject]
Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 20:00 (1311 days ago) @ John W

I have always wanted to read Steve Matthes's "BRAVE and Other Stories" about hunting mountain lions (with dogs) in the 1940s-50s but haven't because it runs around $400. Due for a reprint? I imagine a Misfit or 2 has a copy.

Fun fact: mountain lions are big small cats (g. Felis) and not true big cats (g. Panthera.) They can purr, but not roar.

We have been getting more (although not many) jaguars coming back into southern Arizona over the last couple of decades. They range for 100s of miles. Rancher treed one near Douglas back when I was a kid.

Had a Jaguarundi on our place in Oracle, AZ

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 20:07 (1311 days ago) @ Greg M.

around 1980. I caught it one night stalking my goats. I had the light on it and the sights lined up but I thought it was a big black house cat. When it dawned on my how far away it was and how large it was, it was gone. My mistake for heistating on the trigger.

Southern AZ is great for weird wildlife

Greg M.
[subject]
Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 20:26 (1311 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Grew up on the SW side of the Huachucas but never saw a jaguarundi. Coatimundis were nearly common. They used to scatter from the road when my mom and I would drive the truck to work/school the next county over.

We had a big, mean orange tomcat who would deposit dead ringtail cats etc. on the front stoop and expect to be rewarded for his efforts. One time a doe deer cornered him on our back porch trying to stomp him -- in retaliation for which crime will never be known -- and my dad had to rescue him. Humiliation!

Yes... we had Coatimundis.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 20:28 (1311 days ago) @ Greg M.

First time I saw one I thought it was from outer space!

Our neighbor caught a mtn lion in a live trap this year

Bob Denning
[subject]
Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 20:37 (1311 days ago) @ Greg M.

While it didn’t ROAR it makes a noise that will make you pee yourself. Like a loud snarl. Definitely not a purr. The cat broke off its canine teeth trying to get out of the cage.

If they are close to the house at night they cry. My wife wanted to go outside to save the baby that was crying. Not a good idea.

It's uncanny

Greg M.
[subject]
Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 21:32 (1311 days ago) @ Bob Denning

They can emit a shriek that sounds like a human woman or child in extreme distress. Native American tribes picked up on this trick and generally view the cougar with suspicion. They're like the hyena of the Americas; also extremely prolific.

cats are a lot of fun to hunt but an extremely hard

gary reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 22:01 (1311 days ago) @ John W

hunt, especially with a pack of dogs and in 2 feet of snow. You have to keep up with the dogs and in heavy snow that is hard to do. The Reeder clan has taken a couple of big ones, but with dogs. You can call them in with a squealing rabbit call, but be careful. They are a cat and will come up behind you and might decide you are better eating than a rabbit. A 300 lb lion was taken about 15 miles from here a year or two ago and one about the same size was run over by a truck out near where I live, NW of town.
Colleen's was well over 200 lbs and was taken right after a big ice storm and he hadn't eaten for 3 or 4 days. So he would have weighed more on a regular day.
[image]
[image]

Called in 2 one night coyote hunting was

Derek
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 07:52 (1311 days ago) @ John W

Rather erie was in some tall field grass, one came in from behind one in front. Bumped into one while bowhuntig was about 20 yards from it when it came out from a gully with some big holly bushes. Big ol black one. One other time was 2 young ones and their mother, she sat and watched me go up my stand never did run from me, but I got gone because my flashlight died!! Luckily I still found my stand that was in the road I was walking down, worst feeling I ever had, no moon out either couldn't see nothing! Needless to say I always have a back up light now.
The Nc Wildlife folks said, we don't have any of those around here, ha!

Cougars

Clint H
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 08:16 (1311 days ago) @ John W

Me and my brother had dog packs back in the 70s and 80s and did a lot of cougar and bear hunting here in utah. Cougars are extremely smart they can hear and see and smell probably better than most critters. It still possible to call one but you’re gonna have to go all out camouflage, face paint, cat scent, the whole 9 yards if you’re going to get one close. If not they’ll come in because they’re curious but you’ll never see them. We had the best luck with a mouse squealer and believe it or not a woodpecker call. Jack rabbit call will work to if people in your area have not overused It a lot. The cougars here will shrill like a woman getting strangled after dark with that echoing off the canyon walls it will definitely send shivers up your spine. This is just been my experience I’m an old guy maybe things have changed since then anyway that’s what the Kids are always telling me. Ps. It always helps to start hunting where there’s has been a sighting or a cougar kill.

you don't want this one coming up behind you

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 11:51 (1311 days ago) @ John W

while calling.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Whoa! 300 pounder!?

Derek
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 14:56 (1310 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

it wasn't weighed on site but I would bet on it

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 16:05 (1310 days ago) @ Derek

He is the size of a female African lioness.

Big dude

Greg M.
[subject]
Thursday, September 17, 2020, 00:44 (1310 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

It is funny how some animals flourish while/where others don't. I am not a credentialed wildlife biologist, so my opinion should be taken with a pound of salt, but it seems like cougars have gotten bigger and more aggressive in Arizona within my lifetime. Running on Internet fumes here but I think cougar attacks on people in California/Colorado have been up in the last 10 years or so.