I mentioned earlier that I had picked up a large batch of

gary reeder
[subject]
Monday, August 10, 2020, 21:54 (1348 days ago)

OLD primers in an estate sale. here are some of them.

[image]
Some of these I am going to have to run a search on them to see what they are as they have no info on them. Like the U.S. military primers.

here are some that are strange.
[image]
They are Winchester primers but the little partitions between the primers are wood. What a tedious job that would be. Putting those little wood partitions between lines of primers.

I like those old Remington UMC primers!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 06:27 (1348 days ago) @ gary reeder

They are most likely corrosive. But they are hot if I remember correctly. Maybe the Frankford Arsenal ones also. But you already knew that.

When I was younger I shot up a bunch of primers that were in a box with the little wooden dividers. Dad had thousands of them.

In an earlier post you mentioned something small primers.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 06:51 (1348 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

When I was cleaning out my Dad's stuff, I found a small glass bottle with a bunch of something small primers in it. I still have it. I am gonna dig them out and load 'em in some practice ammo for the 357. Just to see if they still work after all these years.

I have gotten misfires with rifle primers in revolvers

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 07:40 (1348 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Namely Ruger DA. I wonder if there is a micrometer measurement that you can do on a rogue primer to tell if it's a rifle or pistol primer. Is the OAL different? I thought so, rifle primers longer? Or perhaps the tempering of cup material is different?

Anyone know?

They all go bang in a TC.

Small Rifle Primers are the same size as Small Pistol

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 07:48 (1348 days ago) @ WB

but they are harder. Since I shoot a Single Action it sets off rifle primers, no problem.

Primers

Clint H
[subject]
Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 19:10 (1347 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Haven’t seen primers in boxes like some of these in along time. Some of those are older than most of us. Great collector items. I pretty sure that the frankford primers might be corrosive. I used some of my father inlaws
primers that he bought in the 1980s just about a year ago they worked
fine.

sometime thru the years I was told (by someone I

gary reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 22:13 (1347 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

respected or I wouldn't remember it) that you can shoot small pistol primers in a gun instead of small rifles. And can shoot small pistol magnum primers in a small rifle if you drop the powder load by one full grain. That would have been in the late 60s or early 70s when i was just getting started in reloading. Don't know if it is true or not . I remember the conversation but have never tried it, (that I can remember).

Back in the 1960's I worked up a load for my Ruger 357 ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 15:53 (1347 days ago) @ gary reeder

using the Keith 173 gr. cast SWC over 14.5 gr. 2400 and a Small Rifle Primer.

No chronograph in those years, but it would crack a car rim at 100 yards or so. Would not quite go through it but would bulge it heavily and open a crack in the steel.

I was 14 or 15 years old and Dad had me shooting the 357 at ranges out to nearly 400 yards. I thought that was normal and everyone did it.

In the 80's I remember reading a gun magazine

Bob Denning
[subject]
Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 11:44 (1348 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

That cautioned people against storing their primers in old baby food glass jars. I guess if your dropped the jar the primers could explode.

About that time I had just bought some reloading stuff at a yard sale and it included a lot of the primers you mentioned. Many of the boxes were broken so I put the primers in glass baby food jars. LOL

Those FA primers are most likely corrosive

JD
[subject]
Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 15:30 (1348 days ago) @ gary reeder

Until the early 1950's most US military primers were corrosive.....