44 magnum questions

Brant
[subject]
Sunday, August 09, 2020, 21:19 (1348 days ago)

I have 2 rifles in 44 magnum. A Rossi lever gun and a cva single shot. I have much nicer rifles than that cva but it is a favorite Hunter for me. I have only ever shot off the shelf 240 gr jacketed hollow points in both and they work great!
Does anyone use 180gr in the 44 magnum. A friend gave me some to try. I’m sure our small deer will not know the difference. i also have a ruger super Blackhawk 10 1/2” on the way. Looking forward to working it out for season.

some revolvers don't like that 180 grain bullet. I have a

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, August 09, 2020, 22:04 (1348 days ago) @ Brant

couple of S&Ws and my 8" shoots patterns rather than groups with it, no matter the powder or load. The other one likes the 180 grain Sierra. So give a few a try. I wouldn't load more than 10 to see so you don't have a lot to pull.

AS GARY SAYS YOU HAVE TO TRY 'EM

JT
[subject]
Monday, August 10, 2020, 05:54 (1348 days ago) @ gary reeder

O KNOW FOR SURE.

Thanks all

Brant
[subject]
Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 05:31 (1347 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

I mentioned earlier that I had picked up a large batch

gary reeder
[subject]
Monday, August 10, 2020, 21:32 (1347 days ago) @ gary reeder

of OLD primers in an estate sale. Here are some of them.
[image]
Some of these I am going to have to run a search on them to see what they are as they have no info on them. Like the U.S. military primers.

here are some that are strange.
[image]
They are Winchester primers but the little partitions between the primers are wood. What a tedious job that would be. Putting those little wood partitions between lines of primers.

The velocities possible are quite a step up

WB
[subject]
Monday, August 10, 2020, 08:08 (1348 days ago) @ Brant

My old Serria manual shows, using old 2400 powder, a velocity of 1700 fps from a 7.5" Super Blackhawk and 2200 fps for a 20" barrel Marlin. At those speeds that 180 gr. bullet is devastating! It may prove quite explosive as to meat destruction, particularly with the rifles. Just food for thought. I bet as far as anchoring a Whitetail they would be like the hammer of Thor.

We had great fun back in the late 70's shooting overripe watermelons with them. (I worked at a grocery store and saved all the old produce for targets!) A 20 lb. would be totally vaporized by the 180 gr. JHC Serria we used. Back then it was beyond anything they had up to that point. Not any pieces, just gone!

My experience with rifles have been to keep the weight

Sid R
[subject]
Monday, August 10, 2020, 09:01 (1347 days ago) @ WB

above 225-265 grains in a marlin and Ruger carbine because of the 1:38 ROT. Rossi, Winchester and Brownings have a 1:20 twist and suit the 44 magnum better in heavy bullets and lighter ones. As Gary said in pistols its a pic'm.

I think Serria did their homework long ago

WB
[subject]
Monday, August 10, 2020, 10:01 (1347 days ago) @ Sid R

with the 180 gr. weight. True the bearing surface that touches the rifling on a 180 is about 50% that of a 240 gr. JHC. The Hornady 265 gr. has about a half-inch of bearing surface! I worry more about that one than the light weight.

Until you get into rounds like the .444 Marlin, .429 and .440 GNR Magnums, where velocities get crazy, I think you are ok. The only reason for that speed would be some truly sadistic uses on varmints. Red mist!