3" .45, worth it or not

TM
[subject]
Saturday, August 08, 2020, 21:39 (1327 days ago)

I have a burning desire for a 3" 1911 in .45. Been doing a bit of research, but have some questions. Most 3" .45's are steel slide and aluminum framed, does the feed ramp get a beating, since it too is aluminum? Are the failures to feed, and eject as big of a problem as some are led to believe? I won't buy this used, but brand new, just wondering if it worth it. It will be strictly a carry gun.
I currently have, and will keep a Ruger Commander in all steel, great gun but a tad heavy. Soliciting opinions both positive and negative.

Rock Island 3.5

steve todd
[subject]
Saturday, August 08, 2020, 23:15 (1327 days ago) @ TM

I have one. It is a steel frame, like you said, a tad heavy. I was using 215 grain semi wadcutters and it works well with them. Lately i’ve been using 180 grain round nose flat point bullets. 230 grain Winchester or Federal were not completely reliable. The lighter bullets seem to work better. I’ve used Acme 160 grain coated round nose flat point bullets also, without issues.
Even with the steel frame, it is more convenient than a 5” 1911.

45acp

ALK
[subject]
Sunday, August 09, 2020, 08:55 (1327 days ago) @ steve todd

I have a 3" kimber 45acp & 3" springfield emp 9mm,1of the very first ones. Both have been flawless. 2 other kimbers 4",and 5". Also a colt 5". Except for the springfield, all of the others run wilson mags. No problem with any. Friend has a glock 30sf no problem with it either. But as pointed out, no soul. And I also have more than a few glocks. They do the job intended.

I have a kimber a ruger and a sig.

Bob Denning
[subject]
Sunday, August 09, 2020, 14:44 (1327 days ago) @ ALK

All are lightweight guns. The ruger is not happy with any ammo. The kimber only likes ball ammo and the sig eats anything.

Sounds like Gary should have a talk with your

Blake
[subject]
Sunday, August 09, 2020, 16:13 (1327 days ago) @ Bob Denning

Ruger and Kimber! What mags are you using?

That’s a good idea

Bob Denning
[subject]
Sunday, August 09, 2020, 16:22 (1327 days ago) @ Blake

It seems that the lightweight 45acp with short barrels don’t like hp ammo. Anybody else have this issue?

you're smoking dope again. That pistol has no idea

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, August 09, 2020, 22:15 (1326 days ago) @ Bob Denning

if the bullet is ball ammo or a hollow point that WB painted pink.

I have never had a failure to feed with my Star PD

gary reeder
[subject]
Saturday, August 08, 2020, 23:15 (1327 days ago) @ TM

which has the alloy frame. But that being said I doubt I have shot 3000 rounds thru it since 1977 when I bought it. It is one of those guns to carry a lot but shoot a little.

To sort of change the subject if I were starting over I would buy the lightweight Ruger 1911 Commander in 9mm. The 9mm ammo these days has improved so much that you aren't giving up anything by going to the 9mm over the 45. Plus it is lightweight and flawless.

Like Gary my Star PD has never had a failure to feed.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, August 09, 2020, 05:52 (1327 days ago) @ gary reeder

I shoot nothing but hardball in it and like Gary, I don't shoot it much, but I carry it a lot.

NO PROBLEMS HERE EITHER BUT

JT
[subject]
Sunday, August 09, 2020, 05:55 (1327 days ago) @ gary reeder

I SECOND GARY'S LTWT 9MM IDEA. MUCH EASIER TO SHOOT THAN A LTWT .45

I’ve had quite a few 3” 1911s. I have a Gary built

Drdougrx
[subject]
Sunday, August 09, 2020, 06:09 (1327 days ago) @ TM

PD (my 4th) and have owned the RIA (too heavy for daily carry), a detonics MkIV (very accurate when it worked), a SW 3” pro (my choice for a LW 3” 1911). I also own a Ruger LW in 45 and am thinking of getting a 9mm.

My current daily carry is Shield45...,can’t really say anything bad about it other than it has no soul like a 1911. But...it works, is accurate and lite weight.

Colt Officers Model

David R
[subject]
Sunday, August 09, 2020, 08:36 (1327 days ago) @ TM

I picked one up in the 80's, stainless, 3" 1911 and it has never failed me. I has some work done to it by Case but it was not needed. All it did was up the cool factor. Should I come upon the Ruger Officers Model, I will follow me home. Mine seems to really like the 200 gr XTP Hornady factory ammo.

I have 3 short barrelled .45acp's.

Larry Fry
[subject]
Sunday, August 09, 2020, 11:35 (1327 days ago) @ TM

A first run custom shop 3 inch alloy frame with steel interiors, a Kase operated on 3 inch Springfield GI model that looks nothing like original in blue steel, and a Taurus PT145 double action. The 1911'a have a great trigger pull and are accurate with 230 grain hardball at POA at 7 to 15 yards. The PT145 is accurate out to 15 to 18 yards but has a loooooong trigger pull. Takes some getting used to but is very accurate and easy to carry and chambers the 230 grain hardball easily. I have fired a lot of rounds though each pistol and for close range they can't be beat in my opinion (for what thats worth) for up close and personal confrontations. The GI model is heavy but if I had to put my life on the line, that is the one I would choose. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hands so I have gone to a 9mm in a Glock 19. Yeah I know, everyone can quit making hex signs at me, LOL. I would like to see the Ruger 1911 in a 9mm and try shooting it to see if I would like to try carrying it, but for now, at least until the virus crap is over and the world quits trying to buy all the guns up, I will stick with my G19. More bullets and less wear and tear on my hands.