Jim you ever get that CW45 to shoot OK?

WB
[subject]
Saturday, August 01, 2020, 19:42 (1357 days ago)

They are strange guns. The less expensive CW models have conventional rifling, the more expensive have polygonal. The trigger takes some getting used to for sure. If there ever was a DA revolver ironed out flat this would be it. They seem OK to me. Never had a .45 though.

I'd like to try one of the all steel models. They look to be almost jewelry like in quality of build.

It shoots just fine. It's picky about cast bullets.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, August 01, 2020, 20:27 (1357 days ago) @ WB

Jacketed stuff is just excellent. Accuracy is good and I like the trigger a lot better than a Glock trigger.

Using magazines other than Kahr mags, they don't always lock open after the last shot. The best fitting that I've tried is the Colt Officer's magazine. But it too will not always lock open, while the Kahr magazine does.

It's a simple little gun with hardly any parts to it.

I don't trust it like I do the Star PD or the 1911. But I am taking it with me as a backup to the backup of my standard carry.

I have a few of them, curious little pieces.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, August 02, 2020, 05:46 (1357 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

The have horrible resale which allowed me to play with them. Mine are “P” models with the different rifling and sights. I had a CW40 once, it stung to shoot it but did fine. Cast from it worked as well shooting old .38-40 170 gr. Lyman (both SWC and SWCHP. I shot sone 200 gr. at 1000 fps but it was rough! I think the lighter 165-180 gr. Would be a better limit. Always thought the .45 would be better, maybe with the 185 gr. Target load.

I have the little P380, a PM9, and a P40 that mimics my old CW40 that I regretted selling. You get used to the trigger and I do like the simplicity, which I think makes them underrated. It makes me desire a .45 to see if I could figure the little characteristics. What fun we have.

The cast bullets work in the 45 if you seat them deep ..

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, August 02, 2020, 06:26 (1357 days ago) @ WB

apparently it has a very short throat .. but it seems accurate enough.

I have not used it enough to trust my life to it. I know the Star PD and the 1911 will run without a hiccup. So far the Kahr has not been used enough for me to get comfortable with it in that manner.

I bet the old 185 gr. WC target bullet would be great.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, August 02, 2020, 06:33 (1357 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I was adding a "plain base" gas check to them and shooting at about 1500 fps from a custom .460 Glock with a 5.5" barrel. Toned down to 800 fps I bet they'd do great. It's superb in the old 1911. Bullseye is one of my favorite powders for that combo.

I wonder if the Polygonal chambers fare better? I know the bores typically need a bigger bullet to fill them up. Corder had some interesting testing info about that in 10mm. It sounded legit to me.

P45 barrel for CW45

Burban
[subject]
Sunday, August 02, 2020, 09:39 (1357 days ago) @ WB

For $141 you could test a Kahr P45 barrel in the CW45.

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/pistol-parts/kahr-002p45-barrel-002p45.asp

Kahr SKU: 002P45

Might be able to beat that price elsewhere online.

It's not the kind of gun I would put any money in.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, August 02, 2020, 09:44 (1357 days ago) @ Burban

It does what it is supposed to do .. go bang when you pull the trigger. All I ask is reliability.

I found a CW9 barrel for my P40 for $50 but

WB
[subject]
Sunday, August 02, 2020, 11:15 (1357 days ago) @ Burban

It looks different than my .40 barrel’s lug. They are a little different so I just passed on it. It’s nothing to swap things around on Glocks, other brands maybe no so much. Glocks are unique in the industry. They changed absolutely nothing of note for a very long time. They are designed on the loose end of tolerances like the AK (that’s actually a complement), that’s one reason they are so reliable.