More images of yesteryear

John W
[subject]
Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 17:30 (1387 days ago)

With all of the negativity in the news I get downright sick of it all.

So looking at old photos reminds me of better times in many ways. I decided to scan some old hunting photos from the late 1960s and early 1970s.

The first one is Dad. I am unsure of how old he is but I do believe that buck was taken with his S&W M29 5 screw that Gary refurbished. Dad is 6-2 so you can bet this buck is quite large. I believe he shot it on Cherry Mountain in Twin Mountain New Hampshire.

[image]

The next image is one of my grandfather George and a family friend hunting in either NH or Maine. I do believe it was the month of November in 1969 or 1970 so it would be for deer in either state. In those days they loved the IH Scout. Dad and Gramps would pack a Burns-O-Matic stove so they could have a hot meal at noontime. They hunted all day long no matter how cold or snowy it got.

[image]

Dad and Gramps had a number of beagles at the house. They loved to hunt cottontails and snowshoe hare. Hare hunting was fun to them because the season ran into March in Maine and New Hampshire.

[image]

The next image is my grandfather and a family friend. I do believe it was a camp in Newfoundland. They went up for moose one year near Millertown. I believe Dad and Mom shot a moose but no one else did. Mom shot a moose at 300 yards offhand with Dad's open sighted Remington M742 in 30-06. One hit behind the ear and the big cow went down. We had that on Super 8 film but it somehow disappeared. Oh how I wished I still had that. I would have it digitized. At that time women did not really hunt much. The guide was so flabbergasted that he got rip roaring drunk and a replacement guide was called in for the next days hunt.

[image]

So.I do hope you all enjoy this little trip so to speak.

THANK YOU!

JT
[subject]
Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 17:48 (1387 days ago) @ John W

- No text -

Those are great!

Brant
[subject]
Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 18:47 (1387 days ago) @ John W

- No text -

Thanks for sharing these, John.

Flatwater