I decided to shoot something different today

John W
[subject]
Monday, June 01, 2020, 16:40 (1417 days ago)

I went to the local range and took out the old family M1 Carbine

My Dad's uncle served in the US Army and carried it after ww2. In fact he used it to shoot small roe deer on the runway of the airfield on base. The soldiers loved that since they had fresh meat for a meal after that. I bet you can't do that now.

Anyways. With all of this insanity going on I figured it might be a good idea to get some practice in.

I am kind of glad I did. I discovered some malfunctions. Mostly failure to feed. Out of fifty rounds I had five failures to feed.

I believe it is a combination of old springs and magazines.

I do have other guns to use but I kind of like the concept of the M1 Carbine. I did do some searching online and discovered that some companies make spring replacement kits.

So. The M1 will go back in storage for now and I'll use something else for a defensive rifle.

I've always liked the .30 Carbine

WB
[subject]
Monday, June 01, 2020, 20:18 (1417 days ago) @ John W

You know the Ruger Mini-14 was derived from it. The gas system and twin rotating lug bolt. The M1 Carbine as you likely know was issued to replace the sidearm with certain crews. A good idea. I also read the Germans highly prized captured examples themselves.

The .30 Carbine round was a highly modified concept derived from the .32 WSL round. Not only was pressure doubled for the locked breach arm vs the blow back M1905, but bullet was reduced from the .321" 170 gr. to a 110 gr. .308". The brass was lengthened and strengthened.

A guy I worked with at the grocery store was in Korea. He was napping during the day in the barracks with a blanket covering the light. His shift was at night. He woke and peeked out to see a hooch boy slowly working through the bunks with a .30 Carbine with fixed bayonet. He made a few stabbing motions checking for sleeping GI's. When he came to my friend's bunk he lunged and grabbed the gun muzzle, screaming like a crazy girl the whole while. Startling the would be killer he ran outside to escape. He ran about 30 yds. and stopped to see the killer standing outside the barracks with the .30 Carbine. The would be killer dumped a whole 30 round mag from the M2 full auto at my friend. Incredibly he missed him completely! Wielding the now empty gun a couple marines stepped in and began to administer some thumping. My friend was very, very lucky. It was an interesting story he told me.